BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Apart from the few video overviews on YouTube, which don't go in to much detail, does anyone have a link to a detailed overview? I'm particularly interested in the media capabilities e.g spotify etc.

One question on CarPlay, which I 've never used. Is it possible to use Netflix?

·
Registered
146 Posts
We know that it will have connected music services where you can use your own streaming provider. I assume it means Spotify just like on idrive7, where you log in via the QR code and connect to your normal Spotify subscription service. For this to work, it requires connected music subscription from BMW (in Denmark, the first 3 years is free/included).

I don't have a car with android auto or carplay at the moment, so I have not tested which apps works in these environments. I have seen people with jailbreaked iphones use video services, so it can be done.

I hope we soon will see some more in-depth videos of the idrive8 system.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no AC does not allow any video streaming - just audio - security features
Yes, that's what I'm seeing with Google searches. There is an app that will allow it called CarBridge but it looks very dodgy, so I'm not going there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
iDrive 7 is able to play video files from USB. I really hope iDrive8 also can do this, as I want to load up the car with movies and music videos which can be seen when parked or charging.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, that's what I'm seeing with Google searches. There is an app that will allow it called CarBridge but it looks very dodgy, so I'm not going there.
just like the other app NGXPlay - it requires jailbreak - and that is a crap :) my last JB was on iphone 3G :D and not since then
and reading that you can watch media on iD7 sounds promising for iD8

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That USB thing sounds good. Not as good as having access to a streaming service but better than nothing.

Does iDrive have a web browser?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wonder if Android auto could fill the whole 14.9 screen. (Minus the A/C of course).
On the positive side I think it can show Google maps in the instruments cluster too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wonder if Android auto could fill the whole 14.9 screen. (Minus the A/C of course).
On the positive side I think it can show Google maps in the instruments cluster too.
It will cover the whole screen. It has already been shown in a official BMW video:

And of course with Android navigation in the instrument cluster

·
Registered
181 Posts
iDrive 7 is able to play video files from USB. I really hope iDrive8 also can do this, as I want to load up the car with movies and music videos which can be seen when parked or charging.
IOS or Android app BimmerCode will allow playing from USB while driving. No jailbreak required.
I do not recommend watching a full movie while driving, but music video's are nice.

Reactions: rangerek

·
Registered
92 Posts
So let me see if I get this straight, you can't watch YouTube, Plex or Netflix with Apple Car Play, even when charging your car or stationary?

·
Registered
181 Posts
So let me see if I get this straight, you can't watch YouTube, Plex or Netflix with Apple Car Play, even when charging your car or stationary?
You are exactly right.
I have never paid much attention to this as with an ICE you would always be driving.
With an EV it makes sense to use the car's infotainment system for video while waiting for a full battery. Hopefully this will come in future updates. My preferred solution would be if the car's screen could mirror the phones screen, thus turning it into a tablet kind of device.

Reactions: Jcm78 and rangerek

·
Registered
146 Posts
You are exactly right.
I have never paid much attention to this as with an ICE you would always be driving.
With an EV it makes sense to use the car's infotainment system for video while waiting for a full battery. Hopefully this will come in future updates. My preferred solution would be if the car's screen could mirror the phones screen, thus turning it into a tablet kind of device.
Idrive7 has screen mirroring. I assume 8 will also have this feature. It makes it easy to play any video or streaming from your phone. But I hate that I then can't use my phone while watching the video

1 - 20 of 39 Posts