BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
It will cover the whole screen. It has already been shown in a official BMW video:
Yeah, I've seen that video awhile ago. Although in the screenshot doesn't cover the whole screen. At least the way I expected.
I don't know the technical specifics of Android auto, so it may not working as I think it does.
In the screenshot there is definitely half a widget to the right.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I asked because I currently have a Model 3, and really like being able to watch Netflix, Plex, YouTube etc. In full screen in the central monitor. Only when in Park. It can’t be hard for CarPlay to detect the Park mode on an EV surely. I really hope they implement it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I asked because I currently have a Model 3, and really like being able to watch Netflix, Plex, YouTube etc. In full screen in the central monitor. Only when in Park. It can’t be hard for CarPlay to detect the Park mode on an EV surely. I really hope they implement it.
Your best bet is screen mirroring then. The only downfall it eats up your phone battery as well, since you are literally streaming your active screen to the iDrive display. Works really well though (tested with Samsung phones and OnePlus series)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Your best bet is screen mirroring then. The only downfall it eats up your phone battery as well, since you are literally streaming your active screen to the iDrive display. Works really well though (tested with Samsung phones and OnePlus series)
I think you're right. I'm an iphone user though, I think mirroring only works with Android?

·
Registered
180 Posts
At about the same time as the dealer introduction of the i4 BMW is planning to bring the My BMW App to the Apple Watch. Very convenient, especially as the Watch can also be used to unlock the car (as explained by Rangerek in this post Apple Digital Key for i4).

The My BMW app for the Apple Watch is apparently only a matter of time. As reported by 9to5mac , among other things , the first owners of the Apple Watch have already been invited to a test phase of the new My BMW app for the wrist and asked for their opinion, because of course the developers want to receive as much feedback as possible from the circle of future users before the official launch . As the screenshots of the invitation suggest, the smartwatch app could be rolled out together with the BMW i4 in autumn 2021, at least an i4 can also be seen in the first picture.
Linking the My BMW app to the smartwatch would be particularly practical for drivers of electric cars: important questions such as the current charge status can then be read off the wrist immediately. If you charge your car at a public charging station and want to use the time for a short stroll through town or a quick coffee, you can save yourself the use of your smartphone and read important information such as the remaining range directly on the smartwatch on your wrist.
The functional scope of the two My BMW apps for the Apple universe should not differ fundamentally, and the last mile navigation for the last steps from the parked car to the actual destination could be displayed excellently via the smartwatch. Recently, information such as fuel prices along the route can also be displayed via the mobile phone app, the next service appointment can be conveniently planned via the smartphone, and there are some functions related to the BMW Points for drivers from Electric cars and plug-in hybrids.
For many years, BMW drivers have known the possibility of being able to control certain vehicle functions remotely using an app. The option to open and close the vehicle when the car key is not at hand is particularly practical. The current survey not only requires an assessment of the importance of current smartphone features, there is also an open answer field for entering new and additional functional requests. It remains to be seen, of course, whether this can be implemented at the start of the app if you like it or not until later and what it could be.
Even if the current report only mentions the Apple Watch, it is highly likely that the developers in Munich are also working on a comparable solution for Android devices from Samsung and other manufacturers.

Reactions: rangerek

·
Registered
146 Posts
At about the same time as the dealer introduction of the i4 BMW is planning to bring the My BMW App to the Apple Watch. Very convenient, especially as the Watch can also be used to unlock the car (as explained by Rangerek in this post Apple Digital Key for i4).

The My BMW app for the Apple Watch is apparently only a matter of time. As reported by 9to5mac , among other things , the first owners of the Apple Watch have already been invited to a test phase of the new My BMW app for the wrist and asked for their opinion, because of course the developers want to receive as much feedback as possible from the circle of future users before the official launch . As the screenshots of the invitation suggest, the smartwatch app could be rolled out together with the BMW i4 in autumn 2021, at least an i4 can also be seen in the first picture.
Linking the My BMW app to the smartwatch would be particularly practical for drivers of electric cars: important questions such as the current charge status can then be read off the wrist immediately. If you charge your car at a public charging station and want to use the time for a short stroll through town or a quick coffee, you can save yourself the use of your smartphone and read important information such as the remaining range directly on the smartwatch on your wrist.
The functional scope of the two My BMW apps for the Apple universe should not differ fundamentally, and the last mile navigation for the last steps from the parked car to the actual destination could be displayed excellently via the smartwatch. Recently, information such as fuel prices along the route can also be displayed via the mobile phone app, the next service appointment can be conveniently planned via the smartphone, and there are some functions related to the BMW Points for drivers from Electric cars and plug-in hybrids.
For many years, BMW drivers have known the possibility of being able to control certain vehicle functions remotely using an app. The option to open and close the vehicle when the car key is not at hand is particularly practical. The current survey not only requires an assessment of the importance of current smartphone features, there is also an open answer field for entering new and additional functional requests. It remains to be seen, of course, whether this can be implemented at the start of the app if you like it or not until later and what it could be.
Even if the current report only mentions the Apple Watch, it is highly likely that the developers in Munich are also working on a comparable solution for Android devices from Samsung and other manufacturers.
I like the 673 km range on that screenshot!

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
What is Video in Motion BMW?
If your BMW has the option of playing videos via DVD and/or USB while parked, it's possible to unlock DVD in Motion (Video in Motion), allowing your passengers to watch movies while you are driving. Video in motion is a very useful upgrade if you have a long journey ahead of you or simply want to keep your passengers entertained — perfect for family road trips or when traveling with children.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
What is Video in Motion BMW?
If your BMW has the option of playing videos via DVD and/or USB while parked, it's possible to unlock DVD in Motion (Video in Motion), allowing your passengers to watch movies while you are driving. Video in motion is a very useful upgrade if you have a long journey ahead of you or simply want to keep your passengers entertained — perfect for family road trips or when traveling with children.
This looks interesting, thenks. I'll investigate

·
Registered
180 Posts
For those (like me) that are new to BMW EV's:

Reactions: Jcm78 and XtBimmer

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That app looks good. Try preconditioning and setting departure time for a Tesla - chances re high it won't work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The app looks ok although I remember Bjorn Nyland had problems using it while was testing the iX3.

About the iDrive 8 I'm still bothered by the A/C cropping permanently the bottom of the not-so-tall to begin with infotainment screen.
Not to mention that A/C is more difficult to reach. (don't tell me about speech recognition)
And it's not about "fewer" buttons because the i4 is full of them. (I'm too bored to count them)

·
Registered
27 Posts
For those (like me) that are new to BMW EV's:

I can confirm the app is solid and not buggy at all, using with my iX3 now (and previously with 330e). Some things take longer than with a Tesla though - like sending the lock/unlock command, anything that needs to physically interfere with the car. Normally takes up to 10-15 seconds to perform a command and for the car to respond. Also, obviously doesn't work in a garage with no reception (on the car).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Here an interesting article about the I Drive 8
I think his range assessment is somewhat unfair. He based it on the 2.2 miles per kwh. This is what he got probably driving the car a short distance, and probably with a fairly heavy right foot.

In my Tesla M3P, for the first few miles I get around 400 wh/mile, which is 2.5 miles per kwh. On a longer journey, this will drop to around 260 wh/mile, which is almost 4 miles per kwh.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts