BMW i4 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
iDrive7 speaks Dutch fluently. I expect nothing less of it’s smarter sibling.
I don’t know about Greek but I will check tomorrow..

·
Registered
232 Posts
iDrive7 speaks Dutch fluently. I expect nothing less of it’s smarter sibling.
I don’t know about Greek but I will check tomorrow..
Please also check for danish speaking. I have not been able to find any useful info online

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks Hans. Although I doubt that it can speak/understand Greek.

Google understands Greek almost perfectly.
I use it all the time in my smartphone as a dictation tool. Real time saver.
I'm sure Polestar which uses Google could understand fine.

Also Hans, can you check if iDrive 7's navigation speaks the directions in Greek?
And I think it doesn't support the Greek alphabet (in the keyboard), because every greek map I saw shows the Latin alphabet.

And it is a shame.
I tested a Jaguar i-pace and the navigation not only supports the input of streets in Greek but also has near perfect guidance in full Greek. I was very impressed!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Available languages in iDrive7 in the photo's below:

Automotive design Gadget Font Gas Vehicle

Automotive design Gadget Font Audio equipment Microwave oven

Gadget Audio equipment Font Display device Multimedia

Gadget Audio equipment Font Automotive design Display device

Dansk and Norvegian are definitely there. I am not sure about Greek. Belgium is definitely missing :)

I tried danish which will give you navigation instructions in local language. It seems however that the voice control does not work yet. Same for what I presume is Greek.

·
Registered
232 Posts

View attachment 1670
View attachment 1671
View attachment 1672
View attachment 1673

Dansk and Norvegian are definitely there. I am not sure about Greek. Belgium is definitely missing :)

I tried danish which will give you navigation instructions in local language. It seems however that the voice control does not work yet. Same for what I presume is Greek.

You are the best! Thanks for testing this.

So we can assume that the spoken navigation language and menus can be in Danish on iDrive 8 as well. Do you know if you can choose Danish menus, and then English "Hey BMW" personal assistance?

·
Registered
312 Posts

View attachment 1670
View attachment 1671
View attachment 1672
View attachment 1673

Thank you Hans!
So, navigation shows Greek characters and speaks Greek, which is good.

BUT and it is a big "but" that makes it worst than I first realize is that in the unsupported languages it seems that you loose ALL the "Hey BMW" commands and I mean that, if for example you have selected Greek as the iDrive 7/8 language you can't obviously say a command in Greek, but you cannot also say it in English! :mad:

@0:33 it reads "Dialogue is not possible in the selected language" and @0:40 you see the disabled mic and below "Not available".
So, if you have selected Greek then you cannot say anymore in English "Hey BMW, I'm cold" or whatever, which is bad.

[EDIT] Unless the choice underneath "Language" which reads "Personal Assistant" has an option that differs the 2.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thank you Hans!
So, navigation shows Greek characters and speaks Greek, which is good.

BUT and it is a big "but" that makes it worst than I first realize is that in the unsupported languages it seems that you loose ALL the "Hey BMW" commands and I mean that, if for example you have selected Greek as the iDrive 7/8 language you can't obviously say a command in Greek, but you cannot also say it in English! :mad:

@0:33 it reads "Dialogue is not possible in the selected language" and @0:40 you see the disabled mic and below "Not available".
So, if you have selected Greek then you cannot say anymore in English "Hey BMW, I'm cold" or whatever, which is bad.

[EDIT] Unless the choice underneath "Language" which reads "Personal Assistant" has an option that differs the 2.
I would check out a dealer and ask for a test drive and a demo of the system. Preferably in an iX3 to check out the electric drive train too. But there should be plenty of models with iDrive 7 available.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Do you know if you can choose Danish menus, and then English "Hey BMW" personal assistance?
in the unsupported languages it seems that you loose ALL the "Hey BMW" commands
So I went out to check again. I am sure getting my excercise today.

The answer is negative. In the non supported languages the microfone and the voice command button on the steering wheel are blocked and there is now way to give any spoken commands. The voice control settings do not allow a separate language for voice commands. Strange because the onboard instructions mention that in the non supported languages you should be able to use english spoken commands. See the onboard tutorials:

As suggested by @Buford T. Justice I would check with a local dealer.
And don't forget that iDrive8 may be different.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So I went out to check again. I am sure getting my excercise today.

The answer is negative. In the non supported languages the microfone and the voice command button on the steering wheel are blocked and there is now way to give any spoken commands. The voice control settings do not allow a separate language for voice commands. Strange because the onboard instructions mention that in the non supported languages you should be able to use english spoken commands. See the onboard tutorials:

As suggested by @Buford T. Justice I would check with a local dealer.
And don't forget that iDrive8 may be different.
Thanks again for helping us understand better how these systems works in iDrive 7!
That is indeed strange. The Danish video you have recorded also suggest that you can use the intelligent personal assistant with English voice commands (Hey BMW...).

If there is no workaround, it is not that big of a deal for me. I will just set the whole car to English instead, then I will not be missing any features. But with google home in the house, we are used to voice commands in Danish, and it would have been great to continue speaking Danish in the car as well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here another Video of the iX and iDrive 8 which features some Augmented Reality too at around 4:00!

Although I think that the i4 will NOT have A.R. based on the fact that the iX configurator specifically reads "Augmented View" in the description of the Live Cockpit Professional.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I really hope we get AR on the i4 as well. it looks dope :D

Does anybody know if I can choose to see the surrounding traffic in the i4 like below picture if I have only chosen the Driving Assistant and Active cruise control med Stop&Go funktion options? So without having the Driving Assistant Pro in the car?

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
312 Posts
I really hope we get AR on the i4 as well. it looks dope :D

Does anybody know if I can choose to see the surrounding traffic in the i4 like below picture if I have only chosen the Driving Assistant and Active cruise control med Stop&Go funktion options? So without having the Driving Assistant Pro in the car?

View attachment 1681
Sorry but I think not!
(I had done a small research sometime ago)
You need Driving Assistant Professional and only then you have that that is called "Assisted View".

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sorry but I think not!
(I had done a small research sometime ago)
You need Driving Assistant Professional and only then you have that that is called "Assisted View".
You are right. didn't know it was called Assisted View, and according to this video you indeed need the Professional package

Its a shame, because its a great view when you handle the driving yourself. being able to see cars approaching on both sides when driving on the highway.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's a little bit gimmick-y.
More to impress your friends, but anyway I have it in my configuration (among other things that I actually don't need) !

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Its a shame, because its a great view when you handle the driving yourself. being able to see cars approaching on both sides when driving on the highway.
It's probably not quite 'real time'. The one in my Tesla lags slightly - enough so that I could not trust it as a substitute for blind spots. Sometimes it doesn't show vehicles at all, and I'm looking at them. It's a gimmick in my view, of no real use to the driver, and in the Model 3 it takes up over a third of the screen real estate. I would rather it not be there.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's probably not quite 'real time'. The one in my Tesla lags slightly - enough so that I could not trust it as a substitute for blind spots. Sometimes it doesn't show vehicles at all, and I'm looking at them. It's a gimmick in my view, of no real use to the driver, and in the Model 3 it takes up over a third of the screen real estate. I would rather it not be there.
Yeah think you are both right. You may use it in the beginning but quickly it will turn gimmick-y and you will just have the map, music etc. displayed instead.

However, the AR navigation does look very useful. I hope we get it with the live cockpit professional.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
There is a logical reasoning that such a display showing the surroundings is not needed at the moment. If the car is full self driving (level 5) then it may be useful for the ‘ex driver’ to see such information. If the car is not, and the driver is still in control, then such a display is a distraction and not needed.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts