BMW i4 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
There is a logical reasoning that such a display showing the surroundings is not needed at the moment. If the car is full self driving (level 5) then it may be useful for the ‘ex driver’ to see such information. If the car is not, and the driver is still in control, then such a display is a distraction and not needed.
nonetheless, it is already possible to have the assisted view on, when the driver is still in control of the car on current gen BMWs. I still think the feature is useful together with the blind spot warnings in the side mirrors. With this, you should be able to see a car or motorcycle approaching from behind before making a lane change. Lets see if the BimmerCode app will be able to add this if you have the 360 cameras in the car already.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The way it presented in all the videos seems kind of jerky. I wouldn't trust it 100%. It may loose something,

On another note imagine having a fully equipped iX and have the navigation on, in HUD, cockpit, infotainment AND A.R. at the same screen. 4 navigations! Kind of silly!

I will probably have the nav in the cockpit, no HUD, and the infotainment to show other things.

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
195 Posts
The way it presented in all the videos seems kind of jerky. I wouldn't trust it 100%. It may loose something,

On another note imagine having a fully equipped iX and have the navigation on, in HUD, cockpit, infotainment AND A.R. at the same screen. 4 navigations! Kind of silly!

I will probably have the nav in the cockpit, no HUD, and the infotainment to show other things.
Totally agree.

I’m curious if on idrive 8 you can have navigation on hud and cockpit screen at the same time.

On x3 iDrive 6 when you activate the hud it disables the cockpit. Although on id6 it’s just direction indications and turn indications not real map

Maybe someone with Id7 and Hud could comment.

·
Registered
195 Posts
New 2022 Bmw 2 active tourer with id8.
It seems a scaled down version from i4/iX, with smaller curved screens but same UI.

For the interior see from minute 12 onwards

·
Registered
312 Posts
J78 I was about to write some comments comparing the new 2 series with the i4 based on Autogefuhl's review.
That's because I think we might missing some things with the i4 that the 2 has. Obviously different category but anyway.

P.S. On another note the HUD of 2 seems plain ridiculous.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I noticed this aswell.. Guess we need a new tread for this.. But leather with stitches on the door tops, new steeringwheel, new speakercovers(not sure if i like them), massage seats, new gear selecter(the one i4 had as a concept....), more ambient lighting(under the screen), the screen was even more built into the dash.. Hmm.. 🧐😬

·
Registered
232 Posts
I noticed this aswell.. Guess we need a new tread for this.. But leather with stitches on the door tops, new steeringwheel, new speakercovers(not sure if i like them), massage seats, new gear selecter(the one i4 had as a concept....), more ambient lighting(under the screen), the screen was even more built into the dash.. Hmm.. 🧐😬
The screen may look more "build in" but look at that large bezel of the smaller curved screen. It looks just as bad as in the inoiq 5. The screen in the i4/iX has almost no brezel. Think it looks much better and more premium.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yeah, those were my main observations too.
I guess the LCI of the i4 will be way better, but who can wait that long, unless they hurry-up like the iX3 where the LCI was out after a few months of the original.

·
Registered
195 Posts
.. But leather with stitches on the door tops, new steeringwheel, new speakercovers(not sure if i like them), massage seats, new gear selecter(the one i4 had as a concept....), more ambient lighting(under the screen), the screen was even more built into the dash.. Hmm.. 🧐😬
The i4 will also have leather on top of doors from 03/22 (at least the catalog mentions full leather trims, as they are now available for the 4 coupe).

Massage seats would be nice for the i4 (specially if in the M Sport seats:) )

Although with several new design cues, the 2 series van seems less premium overall than the i4 (yet to be produced ;) )

I guess the LCI of the i4 will be way better, but who can wait that long, unless they hurry-up like the iX3 where the LCI was out after a few months of the original.
I would support a later introduction of the LCI on the i4 (let's not forget that the 4 series was probability the last F series to be updated).

The iX3 case seems more a late introduction of the iX3 and as they launched the LCI of X3 they probability didn't want to have an older model in the lineup, specially in the electric range that they are pushing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This is a better 2 series video
Center console and steering wheel is soooo much better then in our i4 ;)
And lights both front and rear look more modern
But screens are horrible with this bezel 😂

·
Registered
195 Posts
I wouldn’t worry too much about the 2 series van.

Software updates will come to i4 as it has the newest isystem. Good that they deploy it in other models in order to keep developing it and updating it.

it’s on a complete different segment and it’s an ICE / PHEV.

I don’t see any funcional advantages over the i4 (Maybe massage seats for some, but probably doesn’t have m sport seats as an option).

Ps: interior door handle and hud remind a car from other brands, not a typical BMW.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So 2 series has some things better but is a segment below.

Now I wonder how the new EV 3 series will be called. Obviously not i3.
And imagine it to have a better interior and options than our i4.
:confused:

Update (article may not be reliable)
I cant find the iDrive wheel in the new 2 series. Has they removed it? Because it would be a major turnoff for me if I ONLY can use the infotainment with touch. If so, they may also remove it on future i4s?

[EDIT]
Just saw the video, and it is indeed gone. Well then I am happy with the current layout of the i4.

·
Registered
122 Posts
this is a great presentation of iD8

·
Registered
195 Posts
this is a great presentation of iD8
yes I believe it’s the first "all buttons" demo.

@Lord has even got subtitles for several languages here!

For those who want to get more into that video here are the following:

1) Timecoded GERMAN auto-generated subtitles srt/txt
2) Timecoded ENGLISH auto-translated subtitles srt/txt
3) Google translation in ENGLISH without timecode and blank lines
4) Google translation in GREEK without timecode and blank lines (although I think I'm the only Greek here, for now, but you never know)

ALL these are autogenerated, so expect them to be BAD and probably ...useless, but I did the process for me so I uploaded them in case someone cares.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A pdf that I've seen before, I think as a part of a bigger one.
3/2021 iDrive 8 (no pictures whatsoever)
"users can still give the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant a name of their choice, which they then use as a prompt"
I see this might be misused if I let my brother borrow my car with that knowledge.

·
Registered
232 Posts
"users can still give the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant a name of their choice, which they then use as a prompt"
I see this might be misused if I let my brother borrow my car with that knowledge.
Just make sure that your personal user is password protected. Then he can fuck the guest user up as much as he want ;D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just make sure that your personal user is password protected. Then he can fuck the guest user up as much as he want ;D
Not sure if I want that either :p
"BMW, set temperature to 22 degrees"
"Ok Bitch, setting temperature to 22 degrees"

If it works both ways :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
A pdf that I've seen before, I think as a part of a bigger one.
3/2021 iDrive 8 (no pictures whatsoever)
If people wants to see the pictures, the pdf is from this press release:

81 - 100 of 105 Posts