BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I really think that iDrive8 is the worst feature of this car. They really nailed it with everything but iDrive8 really sucks IMHO.
The worst part for me is that it freezes every now and then when choosing options on any menu. Its a 3-4 second freeze that sometimes even pauses the music.

I’m thinking on bringing it to my dealer but I suspect it’s not my cars fault but a general issue.

The car is an eDrive40 with HUD. Dash cam option is enabled.

is any of you suffering also from this issue ?

·
Registered
2022 i4 40 / 2020 M2C / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
10 Posts
Hi all,

I really think that iDrive8 is the worst feature of this car. They really nailed it with everything but iDrive8 really sucks IMHO.
The worst part for me is that it freezes every now and then when choosing options on any menu. Its a 3-4 second freeze that sometimes even pauses the music.

I’m thinking on bringing it to my dealer but I suspect it’s not my cars fault but a general issue.

The car is an eDrive40 with HUD. Dash cam option is enabled.

is any of you suffering also from this issue ?
My music thru the spotify app was pausing for a few seconds the other day. It would happen about every minute of so. Super annoying.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think it's related to the 4g data connection.
My system has delays too when park in carport, where i know my iPhone has issues with 4g/5g signal as well. It affects all sorts of stuff, as data connection is used all the time - I think.

Just like old PCs will hang in a lot of ways, if any app is waiting for data from wifi / cable.

Could it be that way? Can the cars 4g traffic be monitored in any way?

·
Registered
i4 M Sport ordered
55 Posts
I think it's related to the 4g data connection.
My system has delays too when park in carport, where i know my iPhone has issues with 4g/5g signal as well. It affects all sorts of stuff, as data connection is used all the time - I think.

Just like old PCs will hang in a lot of ways, if any app is waiting for data from wifi / cable.

Could it be that way? Can the cars 4g traffic be monitored in any way?
Are you able to download music to local storage in the Spotify app like you can do on the iPhone/Android app? Would be pretty rubbish if you couldn’t.. what happens if you go for a drive in the countryside where there’s poor signal..

·
Registered
62 Posts
First month or so had zero issues. Super responsive and worked 100%.

Then I started to use spotify and the system started occasional lags and freezing. Nothing super serious, but definitely something you recognize on almost every ride at some point. Not even close to being "really sucks" as you say, but not ideal ofcourse.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First month or so had zero issues. Super responsive and worked 100%.

Then I started to use spotify and the system started occasional lags and freezing. Nothing super serious, but definitely something you recognize on almost every ride at some point. Not even close to being "really sucks" as you say, but not ideal ofcourse.
Interestently enough today I did notsuffer from any slowdown. Spotify and dashcam were both active.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Interestently enough today I did notsuffer from any slowdown. Spotify and dashcam were both active.
I had this yesterday as well. Today no issues. I believe the infotainment was updating apps, when I went to see, it said it had updated these 14-may-2022 and a timestamp (around that timestamp I had most delays).

@Ringwraith - for me at least the slowdown wasn't heat related, I had it right after driving out of the dealer and thought "whoah if this continues I might bring it back" - but luckily it went away in about 30 min

·
Registered
74 Posts
If your iDrive is “playing up” / sticking / has any gremlins, try turning your car on (to drive ready state), press and hold the volume knob for 30-40 seconds.

The screen should turn off then on again. Essentially re-booting the iDrive screen.

You shouldn’t lose any pre-set setting / any navigation destinations / radio stations etc. Everything will be the same.

It’s a bit like re-booting your iPhone to fix software issues.

I tried it when my weather temporarily stopped working. All works fine now.

Hope this helps if there are any issues. 😊👍

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
1,644 Posts
If your iDrive is “playing up” / sticking / has any gremlins, try turning your car on (to drive ready state), press and hold the volume knob for 30-40 seconds.

The screen should turn off then on again. Essentially re-booting the iDrive screen.

You shouldn’t lose any pre-set setting / any navigation destinations / radio stations etc. Everything will be the same.

It’s a bit like re-booting your iPhone to fix software issues.

I tried it when my weather temporarily stopped working. All works fine now.

Hope this helps if there are any issues. 😊👍
Great tip (y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts