BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 435i convertible
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I knew another pricing sheet was released recently, but I was told there was nothing different.
Just to check, I tried entering my configuration into the configurator to see if there was a difference.
I configured the 40 With the M Sport package, which cost $2400, and includes the shadowline exterior trim.
However, when I looked at the new summary, it charged me an additional $400 for the shadowline package as an option.

To all potential buyers:
While it is convenient to spec the car online and share the code with your dealer, it is better to work it out with your dealer or at least go over the final configuration over the phone before you consider putting down a deposit. Certain items cannot be gotten with other items, and certain items are included, but the configurator is fallible and not the be-all end-all of what you can or can't do.

Dan

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi all.
I knew another pricing sheet was released recently, but I was told there was nothing different.
Just to check, I tried entering my configuration into the configurator to see if there was a difference.
I configured the 40 With the M Sport package, which cost $2400, and includes the shadowline exterior trim.
However, when I looked at the new summary, it charged me an additional $400 for the shadowline package as an option.

To all potential buyers:
While it is convenient to spec the car online and share the code with your dealer, it is better to work it out with your dealer or at least go over the final configuration over the phone before you consider putting down a deposit. Certain items cannot be gotten with other items, and certain items are included, but the configurator is fallible and not the be-all end-all of what you can or can't do.

Dan
Good point -I buy a lot of stuff online but with this purchase that is so large, we made it a point to sit down with the dealer and make sure all was entered and charged for properly. It also is getting us our car sooner because in our remote area, the dealer only had two allocations for the i4 and we got one of them. Everyone else is going to have to wait longer for their delivery.

·
Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
1,828 Posts
Good point -I buy a lot of stuff online but with this purchase that is so large, we made it a point to sit down with the dealer and make sure all was entered and charged for properly. It also is getting us our car sooner because in our remote area, the dealer only had two allocations for the i4 and we got one of them. Everyone else is going to have to wait longer for their delivery.
I second that. Your dealer can override some things that the configurator won't allow, so send in a draft from the config but call up for the final details.

·
2,267 Posts
Please clarify this: Are there so few BMW-dealers on the American continent, that you even have to buy a car online or over the phone? I think that is a very strange phenomenon for us Europeans. You buy a new car from a dealer and nowhere else. You sit with him around the table and discuss the options, conditions, reductions... Of course here in Belgium, you drive 10-15km and you're at another BMW-dealer, sort of speak. I suppose that's a bit different in the US or CA.

·
Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
1,828 Posts
Please clarify this: Are there so few BMW-dealers on the American continent, that you even have to buy a car online or over the phone? I think that is a very strange phenomenon for us Europeans. You buy a new car from a dealer and nowhere else. You sit with him around the table and discuss the options, conditions, reductions... Of course here in Belgium, you drive 10-15km and you're at another BMW-dealer, sort of speak. I suppose that's a bit different in the US or CA.
In my case in North Carolina I live between two BMW dealers that are 100 and 140 km away. I am ordering from the farther one because they have a bigger inventory. (Though no I4s until next year).

Mine will be the first I4 ever to appear on their premises.

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts
My dealer is about 7 miles (11km) away; I put in my pre-order online early October, in mid November they called me in, and configured the order on their system with me. 2 days after I got a PDF showing that the order is on status 47 - configuration released, no quota available, and it is still like that today. There is another dealer 13 miles (20km) away, and then the next one is in Austin, 101 miles (162km) away.

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,891 Posts
@JST1963 I don’t think it has anything to do with the number of BMW dealers, it’s more the way many manufacturers seem to handle EV ordering in the U.S & Canada. All the online part of the process does is to give you a place in line, let you leave your deposit and start your order and get you set up with a local dealer. From that point on it’s a fairly traditional car buying approach…right down to charging over MSRP if they feel like it.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Truth though is that there are 341 dealers covering all of the US, 3.8 Million square miles (9.8 Million km2), which means each dealer covers on average 11 100 square miles (28 900 km2), about the area of Belgium (11 800 square miles / 30 700 km2). But of course there are more in the large centers, so if you live in less populated area (like @gsbaker), you might have to drive quite a bit to get to one. I live in a 1.2 Million city, the 3rd biggest in Texas.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Truth though is that there are 341 dealers covering all of the US, 3.8 Million square miles (9.8 Million km2), which means each dealer covers on average 11 100 square miles (28 900 km2), about the area of Belgium (11 800 square miles / 30 700 km2). But of course there are more in the large centers, so if you live in less populated area (like @gsbaker), you might have to drive quite a bit to get to one. I live in a 1.2 Million city, the 3rd biggest in Texas.
LOL... BMW stores are situated near population centers (aka cities/municipalities). Lots of wide open space in the Western parts of the US without anything, including cell service ;) ... not to mention Alaska (one store) and Hawaii (one store on Oahu, Maui and the Big Island).

• Haha
Reactions: MinhSATx

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
LOL... BMW stores are situated near population centers (aka cities/municipalities). Lots of wide open space in the Western parts of the US without anything, including cell service ;) ... not to mention Alaska (one store) and Hawaii (one store on Oahu, Maui and the Big Island).
I wanted to be sure our Belgian friends appreciate how big @ss our country is...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I wanted to be sure our Belgian friends appreciate how big @ss our country is...
Yeah, I got you... It is funny though about the whole "you have to go into the store to order the car, etc" -- my last six cars, including five BMWs, three of which were Euro Delivery), I didn't step foot in the store, except for one that I didn't do PC-re-D. I'm actually good with the whole direct-to-customer model that the startup EV's are doing, too. Aside from the wonky processes at Tesla - just because they generally don't have a clue, it was pretty straight forward.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.