BMW i4 Forum banner

I'm gonna ask a stupid, and probably redundant question about Electrify America

7K views 53 replies 20 participants last post by  toddggg 
OK im on android and unless apple is different I dont need to tap anything or add a card or anything like that. I just added the ea app. activated the 2 year bmw charging with the code and all I do is when I pull up I open the app (i already have plan set as default) plug in the car and then click the charger number on the phone app and off it gos. I dont need to interact with the charger at all or tap anything or nfc anything. think perhaps so of you are over complicating this. you shouldn't have to tap anything or nfc anything on the charger itself. the app is tricky though. you open the app click on the location and then when the little icon appears click it again and it will show all the chargers at that location. just plug in your car and on the app click the charger you are using.

I literally have the app open and charger picked before i even park. I get out plug in car click the icon on the app and walk away. Takes 10 seconds and I ever touch the charger. now it will show you a dollar amount but when finished it credits it. sorry not trying to insult anyone but several times I see people talking about tapping phones to chargers and opening apple pay and selecting wallets and cards.... I dont have to do any of that and my guess is you dont on apple either... not for the free charging anyway.

Reactions: bmw_al and Magicrat
So only one car can charge at a time even though there are two plugs?
yes if one car is charging and you try to plug another one into came charger it kills them both. it only has two cords for ease of useage to reach ports not to charge two cars. And besides most EA chargers I have been two have one parking spot per charger so how would you charge two cars anyway?

Reactions: dudenjen
So IM confused here a bit. IM not slamming apple but I am curious why are yall doing all the wallet and nfc and tap to pay and wallet cards and and and...? Im talking out of not knowing but it seriously just sounds like yall over complicating it. I mean you just need the app . set up the free two year charging and thats it. you pull up, plug in the car, open the app, click on the charger you are plugged into and bingo you are charging. Zero need for all that other stuff or to interact with the charger screen at all or the nfc. Ive been charging on ea for over a year with three cars and never once tapped to do anything or touched a charger screen. I mean is there something im missing that is different when using a iPhone? It just seems when I do come on here there is always a syncing , software , phone or charger issue and it overwhelmingly seems to be iphones. again just curious is all.

• Helpful
Reactions: Magicrat
well if yall really want your mind blown on EA not working as it is suppose too. But in my case for the good. I can charge any car on the BMW 2 year charging. I thought it would be locked to the car but nope... I for the heck of it one plugged in my audi and clicked the bmw charge account and... it charged the car for free. so I pushed it and with an adaptor plugged in my buddies tesla yup it started right up on the bmw account and charged the car for free. at least in my case it doesnt seem to care what car is plugged into and using the account.

w

You know, you can also give your Netflix password to your neighbors.
not in a few months you cant :) But with the cars account I figured it would check the vin or something first to make sure the correct car was plugged in but in my case anyway dosent seem to matter.

Well, (IMHO) it's never been ethical, but technically possible, at least for now. Suppliers tend to close these holes once they lose too much revenue and/or they become well publicised.
well to be fair it does say the car comes with two years of bmw charging it doesn't say anywhere it is specifically for that car. actually other then a short blurp on their web site there really isnt much info on the included charging other then you get it with the car. most all the info on even how to use it or activate it comes from EA not BMW. so is it a loop hole when the rules aren't provided? I saw nothing that said i had to only charge this car with it. I even told corporate I was able to do it ( during my many phone calls with them) they didn't seen to care honestly. IM actually an honest guy all around. Yeah I did it but I also told on myself and no one cared so... Like the old flintstones cartoon when wilma and betty goes shopping... da da da danta da charge it :)

also foot note if you knew all I been through with BMW ( my other posts) I think they can spare me a few extra charges :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.