BMW i4 Forum banner

I'm gonna ask a stupid, and probably redundant question about Electrify America

7K views 53 replies 20 participants last post by  toddggg 
I see a LOT of comments about "free charging". It's NOT FREE. You pre-paid for it when you bought the car.
i mean technically you're right but it's a pretty pedantic point. You can say the same thing about "free refills" or "free ketchup" or whatever. But as long as the price isn't higher due to the specific thing, it doesn't really translate that way. Of course customers ultimately pay for everything that a company does. But when you see a new brochure or youtube video from BMW do you think "I paid for that."?

for all practical purposes, the charging is free for two years. if you never use it but i do constant road trips using EA, you don't get a refund. So arguing against the charging being free is pretty silly.

Not arguing - it's NOT FREE. It's pre-paid. And that's a fact.

OTOH the car includes 20 FREE lugnuts to mount the wheels. You even get to keep them beyond the two years of pre-paid charging (but ONLY at EA) - at no additional charge.

If you don't buy the car, there's no free lugnuts or charging.
<grin>
like i already pointed out, that's not the same. We all have the lugnuts. But you have to go use the charging and it's not limited to a certain number of times during the period and you won't get a refund if you don't use it. So yes, of course we paid for it. But we have two years during which charging is free.

That makes sense (my reading of the manual has been selective). So on a road trip where one might be charging from ~10 to ~90% the 350 unit could save some time - which could add up - but my occasional 20-80% sessions on 350/150 are within a few minutes (if that).
the 350kW charger is only going to make a difference at low state of charge. I forget the exact point at which the i4 charging curve drops below 150kW but IIRC it's below 50%. So if you're doing 20-80%, 350kW is still worthwhile. But even better if doing 10-50% or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.