BMW i4 Forum banner

I'm gonna ask a stupid, and probably redundant question about Electrify America

7K views 53 replies 20 participants last post by  toddggg 
So I used an EA station for the first time today, and it went about as poorly as I expected. Not clear at all how to do it, ended up paying for the session with my digital wallet, and had to call in and get a refund for the charge. It's all very confusing, and I'm still not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do. Apparently you are supposed to 1) plug in, 2) open the app and select the charger number at the location you are at, 3) pick the payment method (the free 30 minute plan, which is where I screwed up). I don't recall being asked to select the payment type in the app, and the screen at the charger told me to hold my phone up to the credit card/NFC processor. Whatever...next time I'll go more slowly and make sure I select the free session.

But my main question is about the charger itself. There are two CCS plugs on one charger, but only one can be used. The reason I keep seeing for this is because different cars have different port locations on the vehicle, and the two charging plugs are there because then at least one will reach the port. But then I'm looking at the charger, and it's basically set up like a gas pump. There are two equal length cords about 2 feet apart on the same side of the charger station. So how does a 2 foot separation between the plugs actually make a difference depending on where your port is? I don't understand this. I know some are CCS/Chademo or whatever it is, but if it's 2 CCS plugs, it makes no sense for the reason to be that one might reach when another would not. It's 2 feet.
Hmm.... I used EA for the first time couple days back.
I had the app installed and configured for the free 2yr program before leaving home.
Went to a 150KW offering location without knowing anything on how to use the chargers.
Plugged in the connector, EA display said it is communicating with the car, then it just started charging.
I charged from ~35% to ~75%. Max rate I saw was 111KW/h but it was mostly at ~50-75KW/h I think. I didn't do any battery preconditioning and it was getting a bit cold at night.

I checked my account and it show the amount charged and an equal discount applied.
So it seems like that the car and charger communicated and knew that the car is in the promotion program.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.