BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
So only one car can charge at a time even though there are two plugs?
yes if one car is charging and you try to plug another one into came charger it kills them both. it only has two cords for ease of useage to reach ports not to charge two cars. And besides most EA chargers I have been two have one parking spot per charger so how would you charge two cars anyway?

Reactions: dudenjen
OK im on android and unless apple is different I dont need to tap anything or add a card or anything like that. I just added the ea app. activated the 2 year bmw charging with the code and all I do is when I pull up I open the app (i already have plan set as default) plug in the car and then click the charger number on the phone app and off it gos. I dont need to interact with the charger at all or tap anything or nfc anything. think perhaps so of you are over complicating this. you shouldn't have to tap anything or nfc anything on the charger itself. the app is tricky though. you open the app click on the location and then when the little icon appears click it again and it will show all the chargers at that location. just plug in your car and on the app click the charger you are using.

I literally have the app open and charger picked before i even park. I get out plug in car click the icon on the app and walk away. Takes 10 seconds and I ever touch the charger. now it will show you a dollar amount but when finished it credits it. sorry not trying to insult anyone but several times I see people talking about tapping phones to chargers and opening apple pay and selecting wallets and cards.... I dont have to do any of that and my guess is you dont on apple either... not for the free charging anyway.
It should be possible to tap the charger like doing an Apple Pay payment. But, my experience is it's very unreliable. Swiping on the app worked every time as you outline.

So only one car can charge at a time even though there are two plugs?
That is correct. One charger for One car - the 2 hoses are to easier reach to different charge port locations.

I have come across EA chargers where one side works while the other is broken so you may have to repark to reach.

The new EA chargers remove this confusion by including only a single longer charge cable.

Reactions: bmw_al and dojoman
The new EA chargers remove this confusion by including only a single longer charge cable.
I can’t believe it took them this long. By adding a couple feet of cable, they eliminated an entire set of electronics, hose, and plug per station, saving thousands of dollars. If all the above is true, the original designers should be fired

Newer and rebuilt stations seem to put the charger in the center with the single longer cable. With these you only need to worry about which side your charge port is, not where it is. I seem to have more consistent results with the 150kw chargers. The highest charge rate I've ever achieved so far is 174kw, and that was on a 150kw charger. Many of the older 350's have issues with the charging cable cooling system where they will cap the charge rate to about 35KW if the cooling is not working properly.

Just completed a 1500 mile trip and used EA about 8 times. The virtual EA card in the iphone wallet worked every time on the trip. Seems to be better since they did software upgrades a few months back.

The i4 will only go to 200kW and only at relatively low SOC. Maybe the sticker on the "pump"' said that, but it's not a charge rate to be expected on the i4. See the charge rate curve.
That makes sense (my reading of the manual has been selective). So on a road trip where one might be charging from ~10 to ~90% the 350 unit could save some time - which could add up - but my occasional 20-80% sessions on 350/150 are within a few minutes (if that).

I can’t believe it took them this long. By adding a couple feet of cable, they eliminated an entire set of electronics, hose, and plug per station, saving thousands of dollars. If all the above is true, the original designers should be fired
They were designed with two cables to support two plug types, like CCS and CHAdeMO.

how would you charge two cars anyway?
Actually I can. There’s a station near me has two stations between parking spaces. They’re not arranged like typical stations where they are on the back of parking area. These two are between island of parking spaces. If one pulls into one spot another car can park on the opposite side of charger.

That makes sense (my reading of the manual has been selective). So on a road trip where one might be charging from ~10 to ~90% the 350 unit could save some time - which could add up - but my occasional 20-80% sessions on 350/150 are within a few minutes (if that).
the 350kW charger is only going to make a difference at low state of charge. I forget the exact point at which the i4 charging curve drops below 150kW but IIRC it's below 50%. So if you're doing 20-80%, 350kW is still worthwhile. But even better if doing 10-50% or something.

It should be possible to tap the charger like doing an Apple Pay payment. But, my experience is it's very unreliable. Swiping on the app worked every time as you outline.
I tried to use EA Apple wallet for free 30 min charging it never worked in the past, but I figured it out why it didn’t. There are two nfc scanners at EA one is only for Apple Pay with credit card, three’s another scanner only for use with EA Apple wallet. Apple Pay one is obvious to see it’s sticking out with credit card logos.

I tried to use EA Apple wallet for free 30 min charging it never worked in the past, but I figured it out why it didn’t. There are two nfc scanners at EA one is only for Apple Pay with credit card, three’s another scanner only for use with EA Apple wallet. Apple Pay one is obvious to see it’s sticking out with credit card logos.
Yes… and in my experience the other one worked once out of a dozen or so different chargers. I stopped trying.

They were designed with two cables to support two plug types, like CCS and CHAdeMO.
Thank you for the clarification. It’s somewhat comforting to know there was an actually reason beyond reaching to the other side of a car.

So IM confused here a bit. IM not slamming apple but I am curious why are yall doing all the wallet and nfc and tap to pay and wallet cards and and and...? Im talking out of not knowing but it seriously just sounds like yall over complicating it. I mean you just need the app . set up the free two year charging and thats it. you pull up, plug in the car, open the app, click on the charger you are plugged into and bingo you are charging. Zero need for all that other stuff or to interact with the charger screen at all or the nfc. Ive been charging on ea for over a year with three cars and never once tapped to do anything or touched a charger screen. I mean is there something im missing that is different when using a iPhone? It just seems when I do come on here there is always a syncing , software , phone or charger issue and it overwhelmingly seems to be iphones. again just curious is all.

• Helpful
Reactions: Magicrat
So IM confused here a bit. IM not slamming apple but I am curious why are yall doing all the wallet and nfc and tap to pay and wallet cards and and and...? Im talking out of not knowing but it seriously just sounds like yall over complicating it. I mean you just need the app . set up the free two year charging and thats it. you pull up, plug in the car, open the app, click on the charger you are plugged into and bingo you are charging. Zero need for all that other stuff or to interact with the charger screen at all or the nfc. Ive been charging on ea for over a year with three cars and never once tapped to do anything or touched a charger screen. I mean is there something im missing that is different when using a iPhone? It just seems when I do come on here there is always a syncing , software , phone or charger issue and it overwhelmingly seems to be iphones. again just curious is all.
You can do that with an iPhone, of course.

Some of us have gotten used to using Apple Pay, though, and there's nothing else we need to do besides touch the phone to the reader and we're done. No app, no swiping, no nothing. When it works it's faster and simpler. When it doesn't... well, then you have to do the other.

glad you've had success. Both methods have been hit or miss for me. The convenience of the app swipe is nice, but EA has bugs in it, at least in my experiences.

glad you've had success. Both methods have been hit or miss for me. The convenience of the app swipe is nice, but EA has bugs in it, at least in my experiences.
Interesting... can you say more?

In my case, I always had the charger plugged into the car before I used the app. I'd see in the app that one of the plugs was "unavailable" (because it was plugged into my car!). Then, when I swiped after selecting the charger, it would start charging.

Reactions: wdtoddnix
Interesting... can you say more?

In my case, I always had the charger plugged into the car before I used the app. I'd see in the app that one of the plugs was "unavailable" (because it was plugged into my car!). Then, when I swiped after selecting the charger, it would start charging.
Yes, in best case scenario that is how it worked........other times, plugged it in and swipe after my car is recognized, followed with plug locked in car, red to yellow light flashing, and an error message on app and charging station. Other times, app says unavailable because it doesn't recognize my car and tells me the charger is occupied by someone else. I've called EA and had rep tell me not to plug in the car, but to swipe and then immediately plug in. All scenarios work well, until they don't work and then I'm waiting on the phone for EA rep to become available and then waiting for a system reboot because the charger won't respond to any of the recommended methods. The inconsistent performance is quite frustrating!

well if yall really want your mind blown on EA not working as it is suppose too. But in my case for the good. I can charge any car on the BMW 2 year charging. I thought it would be locked to the car but nope... I for the heck of it one plugged in my audi and clicked the bmw charge account and... it charged the car for free. so I pushed it and with an adaptor plugged in my buddies tesla yup it started right up on the bmw account and charged the car for free. at least in my case it doesnt seem to care what car is plugged into and using the account.

well if yall really want your mind blown on EA not working as it is suppose too. But in my case for the good. I can charge any car on the BMW 2 year charging. I thought it would be locked to the car but nope... I for the heck of it one plugged in my audi and clicked the bmw charge account and... it charged the car for free. so I pushed it and with an adaptor plugged in my buddies tesla yup it started right up on the bmw account and charged the car for free. at least in my case it doesnt seem to care what car is plugged into and using the account.
Thanks for confirming this. I suspected it might be the case and will be useful since Mini does NOT offer 2 years of "free" charging with EA.

I use an apple phone and my account is preregistered with a credit card and the bmw complementary account. I set the bmw account as my preferred.

there is no tapping or swiping my card or phone. I just open the app, scroll down to the unit I am plugged into and click start

as noted above, it is a good idea to stop just outside the charging area and check which units are available before parking at one.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.