BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have a small question... The factory in Munich is now set up to assemble about 1000 cars a day. That number includes all types of the 3 and the 4 series.
We all know that the i4 is hot right now, wanted all over the world.
Now, let's say that about 250 cars of these 1000 will be i4's (maybe that's too much but it can also be more, I don't know)
Between today and the 1st of may are about 175 days, let's say half a year, 6 months...
That means 175 x 250 = 43750 i4's in 6 months.
How big, do you think, is the piece of pie covered with this amount (at this very moment, so for the people who already ordered their i4)?

It's just to have an idea of what the delivery date CAN be. And does anyone have an estimation of how many i4's there are already sold in their country?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a small question... The factory in Munich is now set up to assemble about 1000 cars a day. That number includes all types of the 3 and the 4 series.
Now, let's say that about 250 cars of these 1000 will be i4's (maybe that's too much but it can also be more, I don't know)
Between today and the 1st of may are about 175 days, let's say half a year, 6 months...
How big, do you think, is the piece of pie covered with this amount (at this very moment, so for the people who already ordered their i4)?

It's just to have an idea of what the delivery date CAN be. And does anyone have an estimation of how many i4's there are already sold in their country?
I think the numbers are too high,
  • 1000 cars a day: it was ~390/day in 2020, in the current climate this is likely to continue
  • 250 cars of these 1000 will be i4's: I would say ~10%, given the EV vs ICE sales volumes

=> ~40/day during 6 months = 7'000 i4s, let's say 2'000 for dealers and 5'000 for the people

i4 is hot right now, wanted all over the world
Is it a perception bias? ;)

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've read somewhere in an article that today, (beginning of November 2021) the factory in Munich could handle 1000 in total.

But if it's true what you're saying, then delivery delays of 1 year will be no exception... :censored:(n)

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys scare me....I'm already waiting since September 2020 on a new car, my order at Audi was canceled by Audi after 1 year of waiting in September 2021 :censored:

·
Registered
315 Posts
If the schedule will keep shifting, it would have been quicker from when I ordered my apartment until they finished the entire building.
Since I am reading news articles that the anticipated chip shortage will not get better in 2022 but be even slightly worse, that might not be what BMW has planned, and hence may have to delay their production accordingly. They might deem it better to not produce a vehicle with missing parts than to make a boneyard of new vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, it's pretty simple: there is a shortage of chips (and aluminum, don't forget that). Period!
So, the more options you checked during configuration, the longer it will take to get your car, because for everything, and I mean everything, your car needs a chip. And if they don't have that particular chip for that option, they can't assemble your vehicle. Simple...
My brother ordered an X3 Hybrid in June of 2021. He could not order HK, nor the Assistant Driving Professional. But he is already driving around his beauty.

·
Registered
MB GLA
281 Posts
BW has already confirm that some models will be without touchscreen because the chip (3, 4, etc...) but not the I4 so the impact on the delivery is not there.

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The "cheaper" 1-2-3 series will be the biggest victims of this crisis.
I bet if you order a full-blown 7 series, you will have it, and in time...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
So, the more options you checked during configuration, the longer it will take to get your car, because for everything, and I mean everything, your car needs a chip
I removed as much electronics as possible in my configuration, we'll see if my delivery (feb.) is also delayed

·
Registered
MB GLA
281 Posts
The "cheaper" 1-2-3 series will be the biggest victims of this crisis.
I bet if you order a full-blown 7 series, you will have it, and in time...
Here the list of BMW without touchscreen:

The following models are going to be shipped without touchscreen functionality.
  • BMW 3 Series
  • BMW 4 Series Coupe, Convertible and Gran Coupe (excluding the i4)
  • BMW X5
  • BMW X6
  • BMW X7
  • BMW Z4

·
Registered
Audi A5 2011
31 Posts
The i4 and iX are the priority because they are the future. They'll be ready when they're ready. Like most shortages, they will stay acute until they suddenly abate. BMW will prioritize shipments to key markets.

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Exactly my thoughts...
They cannot present a new car with lots of brand new technology, let people order them, and then say "Hey mister, we're very sorry, but xxx, yyy, and zzz can't be mounted onto your car because we're lacking some lego blocks...

Reactions: Willy5

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,

For your info I ordered my m50 late September and delivery day is set to 14th of June

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hey guys,

P
Some insight into this, the first allusion I saw about the number of pre-orders - "5-digits". Doesn't look like BMW have reached an agreement with their union yet, this may explain why they stopped assigning production numbers. We'll have to see where it goes - the additional 200 cars/week would probably be ALL i4s, so potentially doubling the assembly capacity, though of course it will push the strain on the battery supply.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts