BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2022 i40 from a buyer who previously backed out of an order. Paid MSRP - had some things I really wanted like 19in rims, HUD, Premium package, and a color combo I liked, Brooklyn Grey/Black. Would not have chosen the HK sound (I mostly listen to podcasts and prefer the under trunk space), adaptive suspension, or parking package. Would have ordered the Green/Cognac combo, blue calipers, and DAPP. I'm the definition of beggars can't be choosers. I know I'm lucky, especially w the tax credit included.

Highs:
  • really impressive drive quality, great in turns
  • plenty fast, both off the line and when merging.
  • really head turning styling, beautiful in person. Front grill grows on you over time.
  • love the HUD and curved display, tech/idrive 8 is great overall.
  • backseat is roomy enough for my kids car seats.
  • build quality is superb, especially when compared top other 50k EV's like Tesla.

Lows
  • apple carplay works about half the time, always cuts in and out.
  • mileage estimate seems like a guess. I know it changes based on how you drive but should give you the option of dynamic or full range based on optimal conditions (like most other EV's).
  • Seat and steering wheel heat doesn't seem to really get that hot and slow to warm up.
  • Miss the easy climate buttons, can't slide the temperature up and down, have to click for every degree.
  • Only 8 colors for ambient lighting and duplicate pink and off white colors.
- Wireless charging heats up the phone and doesn't work well. Kind of a waste.

Would I buy it again ... in a heartbeat. Much, much better vehicle than my previous Model 3.

·
Registered
BMW i4 eDrive40 - 08/2022 - Tanzanite Blue - Sensatec Cognac
234 Posts
mileage estimate seems like a guess. I know it changes based on how you drive but should give you the option of dynamic or full range based on optimal conditions (like most other EV's).
The estimate depends on your driving style. The longer you use the car and the more consistent your style is, the better the estimation will become. It's not meant to show the full range on optimal conditions. Other EV (namely Tesla) might do it differently, but that's not necessarily better. What good does me an estimation if I know I can never reach it in reality?

Miss the easy climate buttons, can't slide the temperature up and down, have to click for every degree.
Yeah, but honestly, I rarely want to change the temperature more than 1 degree. With a fully regulated climate system there is no need to pull the temperature to max or min.

Wireless charging heats up the phone and doesn't work well. Kind of a waste.
Mostly a problem with the Qi standard itself. Depending on the phone it works better or worse. It's acceptable with mine, but not great by any means.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I do not want to gloss over the issue with the erratic range indicator, but back in the day when cars only had an indicator for the tank level, drivers could judge pretty accurately how far they could drive on, let’s say, half a tank of gas. So while it is certainly preferable to get a precise milage estimate instead of a wild guess, I am not really concerned about this issue.

The problem with Apple car play sounds like a bummer. Which iPhone do you have? It might have do to with the phone’s model.

Reactions: asunners

·
Registered
234 Posts
I do not want to gloss over the issue with the erratic range indicator, but back in the day when cars only had an indicator for the tank level, drivers could judge pretty accurately how far they could drive on, let’s say, half a tank of gas. So while it is certainly preferable to get a precise milage estimate instead of a wild guess, I am not really concerned about this issue.
That's what you have the battery charged percentage value for, don't you?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mostly a problem with the Qi standard itself. Depending on the phone it works better or worse. It's acceptable with mine, but not great by any means.
I think it is much more an issue with BMW's solution. I have used lots of Qi chargers with my phone. The i4 is the only charger where my phone has got too hot to hold.

Is there an issue with the wireless charger?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just saying I would like to have the option of knowing full range or dynamic range. I understand why they do it, I just wish you could choose. Also, I noticed phone chares much faster w USB-c than the normal USB or wireless pad. In my opinion, making the wireless pad the worst of the three ways to charge your phone.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm just saying I would like to have the option of knowing full range or dynamic range. I understand why they do it, I just wish you could choose. Also, I noticed phone chares much faster w USB-c than the normal USB or wireless pad. In my opinion, making the wireless pad the worst of the three ways to charge your phone.
What exactly is full range? There is no such thing.

The car can't know how you're going to use the car in the next hours. The best guess is the experience the car had with you as a driver (in that regard I wonder if the calculation is based on the current driver profile, as stored in the BMW ID).

Of course you will create a feeling yourself, just as with fuel cars. If there's 50% left, you know you can easily drive two work and back home three more times, for example.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What exactly is full range? There is no such thing.
This is exactly the way I’m looking at it. My ICE estimated remaining miles and it was always off too. i used the fuel gauge and planned when i needed gas based on that. I’m going to use the percent-remaining gauge the same way.

Reactions: Filiiony and ssh

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lows
  • apple carplay works about half the time, always cuts in and out.
  • mileage estimate seems like a guess. I know it changes based on how you drive but should give you the option of dynamic or full range based on optimal conditions (like most other EV's).
  • Seat and steering wheel heat doesn't seem to really get that hot and slow to warm up.
  • Miss the easy climate buttons, can't slide the temperature up and down, have to click for every degree.
  • Only 8 colors for ambient lighting and duplicate pink and off white colors.
- Wireless charging heats up the phone and doesn't work well. Kind of a waste.

Would I buy it again ... in a heartbeat. Much, much better vehicle than my previous Model 3.
  • My wife hates Apple Carplay on her iPhone X (apparently if you have a black background set it's better).
  • Seems better after the Valet Software Recall/update (there's a noticeable difference when you switch between Sport and EcoPro mode).
  • Heated seats and steering wheel are great (so far). I much prefer the i4's incremental heating levels.
  • I do agree with you here - although the automatic climate control is quickly winning me over.
  • You mean you set the ambient colors to something other than blue? lol

·
Registered
2022 i4M50 M-Enhanced
17 Posts
I'm a month in too.

CarPlay has been flawless so far with my 13pro
Wireless charging hasn't been getting that hot, but it sure is slow
Haven't had a difficult time with millage... did a 6 hour road trip, stopped twice for charges as instructed by the car.
haven't tried the headed seats or wheel yet as it's been scorching hot since delivery
I don't mind the climate controls. I expected to hate them, but they grew on me very fast. I keep things at 21 and the car takes care of the details
and yes. Give us more colours! Unacceptable to 2 pinks, 2 blues, and a coral yet no purple, orange or red

• Helpful
Reactions: ssh

·
Registered
2023 i4 edrive40
38 Posts
Just my two cents but I'm coming from a short range BEV -

Early on, I learned why they called the "predicted" range, a Guess-o-meter. It's far better to keep an eye on your battery percentage than to use the Guess-o-meter as a method of range prediction. There were times when my range said 20 miles (or less) but my actual battery percentage was around 35% and I needed 21 miles to get home. I arrived home with 20% battery, meaning I still could go a bit further but the Guess-o-meter was stuck at a scary 10 miles.

·
Registered
i4 M50; Tanzanite Blue; Black SensaTec w/Fine Oakwood; DAPP/PAP/PP; 5G; Device Charging; H&K
5 Posts
I think it is much more an issue with BMW's solution. I have used lots of Qi chargers with my phone. The i4 is the only charger where my phone has got too hot to hold.

Is there an issue with the wireless charger?
I have an Audi SQ5 and the wireless charger always makes the phone hot. Instead of using the wireless charger we have gone back to a plug and only use the wireless charger when there are two phones that need a charge. So not just a BMW thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts