BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
”The M Technology Pack features increased heat capacity of the braking system and the cooling system that guarantees a long-lasting high performance under extreme driving conditions (similar to motorsport) (especially in combination with high outside temperatures). Includes upgrades for the drive train cooling system and the M Sport braking system.”

Does anybody have more detailed information about this package? How much is the cooling improved? Will the normal M50 overheat after some inspired driving on the road? I have understood that it includes larger breakes, anyone know if its just the discs or discs+calipers? How much larger? Better pads? Just airducts?
Will the normal M50 handle a lap around the nürburgring without overheating both breakes and batteries?

//Marcus

·
2,267 Posts
M Technical Pack: the M Sport Breaks on the front axle are reinforced with larger disks. It can only be ordered in combination with the 19" 861M rims with sport tires or the 20" 868M, also with sport tires.
If you have one of these two types of wheels, you should get the M Technical Pack. it's free, costs you nada!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know, but you can get the same 19” wheels in Sweden without performance tyres and save 40km range. To do the trede off i want more info on how much is the actuall differences. The tyres have the same dimensions for 19”, only the 20” is wider with even lower range.

Why dont you think its a better cooling system?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I can imagine that there are some manually adjustable flaps in the front that will affect brake cooling / aero and that these get set when the bigger discs are installed.
Don't know how much larger disks we are talking though. I saw the 'base' brakes at the dealer on a 4-series and they are quite massive. I ordered it with the 19" performance tires.
guess that means I need 19" winter tires as well :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
I
I can imagine that there are some manually adjustable flaps in the front that will affect brake cooling / aero and that these get set when the bigger discs are installed.
Don't know how much larger disks we are talking though. I saw the 'base' brakes at the dealer on a 4-series and they are quite massive. I ordered it with the 19" performance tires.
guess that means I need 19" winter tires as well :(
t depends on the rotor size. I have the upgraded brakes on my present F31 340i and regularly fit 18” winter wheels over the 370mm rotors. Standard on the 340i is 340mm. The fit is snug with the 18’s. However, the BMW wheels I have are shaped inside accordingly.

Though, the G26 is much heavier the M50 also has 200KW of regenerative braking. I personally do not feel the need for a braking upgrade. I feel that under normal traffic conditions I am more concerned about the rotors corroding from lack of use! I think a spirited drive with heavy braking will be essential maintenance… ;)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think on the one side, braking will be good, but those 200kW regenerative braking will only be applicable if you have a very high speed, according to some curves I saw.
the additional weight will really affect the cars stopping power, and with a high powered car you expect to brake as fast as you accelerate. Just take a look at the Tesla plaid on YouTube and see the disastrous braking distance.
I’ve had a 911 S earlier, and the brakes on it just gave me so much confidence. It was leagues better than an M3. So the more the better for me! Now that I don’t have to worry about gas mileage I will probably drive like a baboon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree with bigger brakes on a faster car. But, I can’t take the range hit of the 20’s that have to come with them in the UK. Also, my present BMW with the 370mm brake rotor upgrade always out brakes the tyres… However, it is ~400kg lighter…

F1 cars also run smaller brakes on the rear since entering the Hybrid era… With a KERS failure they often retire from cooking their small rear brakes…

I cannot find the rotor size anywhere… Does anybody actually know what the relative sizes are For standard F/R and upgrade F/R? It would be interesting to compare them to a lighter M440iGC.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Luckily you don’t need to take the 20s, I’m going for the 19”. Only one of the types will have the updated discs as an option, I think it’s called 861.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.