BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2022 BMW i4 m50
25 Posts
Yikes, so you have HVAC sharing the same 30amps going to your sub panel? HVAC = Gas furnace circuit? That might explain why you've been ok to date, but you'll be pushing it charging @24amps.

Getting this all squared away, inspected, and up to code is the way to go!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Electrician got back to me with 2 proposals. First is to run 100 amp line from basement to new sub panel in garage to replace existing. He would use I would also need to run 220ft of wire # 2/3, most in the basement but 90 feet piped in 90 feet of conduit (with seems like a lot for 20 feet between house and garage). He would also need to run #6/3 wire from new sub panel to existing NEMA outlet because the existing wire is too thin, and replace the 3/4 inch conduit in garage to 1 inch to accommodate the 4 wires. Total cost of parts and labor $6600.

Second proposal is to leave existing 30 amps to garage sub panel, but install new wiring just for the NEMA outlet to accommodate 50 amps. He would run 200 feet of wire #6/3 from main panel in basement to NEMA outlet in garage, with 70 feet conduit. Total cost is $4600. The run with 100 AMPs requires new sub panel and thicker wire, plus 20 feet of additional digging and tranching to reach the sub panel which is farther from the house than the NEMA outlet.

It's more than I expected, but I looked up the cost of wire and its pretty high to begin with. I am thinking of going back to him to see about running 70 amps instead of 100. New sub panel makes sense in case I ever want to run more equipment outside. The solution seems more future proof.

Anyone with thoughts to share?

·
Registered
2022 BMW i4 m50
25 Posts
You have a complex scenario compared to many that install a 14-50 outlet. But then again at least you don‘t need a bigger main panel. I think the 30% tax credit for ev equipment / install is still possible, or up to $1000 credit if your tax situation supports it. You may be able to trench and / or fill the trench yourself to save some some money, but not fun…

I’d recommend another estimate due to the high price. Realize it’s a pain and many don't do it for free, but you may see some decent $ variability. Generally 3/4” conduit is fine to use to the outlet. It can compliantly accommodate four 6 gauge thhn wires and you really only need 10 gauge for the ground wire.

My guess is you’ll be happy with the faster charging speed, plus rectifying the current subpanel issues and future proofing. IMO it would be harder to justify a high cost cost to just to EV charge or if you might be moving near term.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for the info. I will look into the federal credit - could be very helpful. Do you know the eligibility requirement? I see the 2023 rules but am having trouble finding 2022.

I am getting two more proposals - but I suspect the first one might be the best.

·
Registered
2022 BMW i4 m50
25 Posts
From what I can tell the new law is pretty much the same in this regard. I think this excerpt sums it up well:

Residential EV Charger Installations
Homeowners who install EV chargers on their property also qualify for a tax credit. The tax credit covers both hardware and installation costs. The credit remains the same under the new bill; 30% of the project costs up to $1,000. Some new additions include the requirement of paying a prevailing wage for the installation of qualifying equipment and allowing bi-directional charging equipment.

Form 8911 is what is used, but it’s not updated and likely won’t be soon. As long as one has a tax burden of at least $1000 for the year (which is nothing), the full amount should be a tax credit. It’s not dependent on whether you’ve underpaid (you owe $) or overpaid (getting a refund). It will just put $1k in your favor either way.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Is there an income limit to get the credit? I was limited out in 2017 when I put in charger for my old Chevy Volt, but that was a minor job because of limited power needs.

Edit: I just checked my 2017 taxes and I was limited because of the AMT.

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - not delivered
1,217 Posts
Electrician got back to me with 2 proposals. First is to run 100 amp line from basement to new sub panel in garage to replace existing. He would use I would also need to run 220ft of wire # 2/3, most in the basement but 90 feet piped in 90 feet of conduit (with seems like a lot for 20 feet between house and garage). He would also need to run #6/3 wire from new sub panel to existing NEMA outlet because the existing wire is too thin, and replace the 3/4 inch conduit in garage to 1 inch to accommodate the 4 wires. Total cost of parts and labor $6600.

Second proposal is to leave existing 30 amps to garage sub panel, but install new wiring just for the NEMA outlet to accommodate 50 amps. He would run 200 feet of wire #6/3 from main panel in basement to NEMA outlet in garage, with 70 feet conduit. Total cost is $4600. The run with 100 AMPs requires new sub panel and thicker wire, plus 20 feet of additional digging and tranching to reach the sub panel which is farther from the house than the NEMA outlet.

It's more than I expected, but I looked up the cost of wire and its pretty high to begin with. I am thinking of going back to him to see about running 70 amps instead of 100. New sub panel makes sense in case I ever want to run more equipment outside. The solution seems more future proof.

Anyone with thoughts to share?
I am not into detail about American electricity, but I have two alternatives :

1. Do nothing, accept that charging is quite slow, but the few times you actually need faster charging - it might be better to go to a (nearby) fast charger - saves a lot of money.

2. Do everything including installing solar panels - expensive but might be possible to get a better price while doing everything at once ?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts