BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching a few idrive8 videos to prepare for my (hopefully) soon to arrive edrive40. I see that the instrument cluster can be configured to show navigation, and there also seems to be a drivers assist view where you can see your car in the current lane, and nearby cars. Is there any way to combine the two views, i.e. can you still show navigation or at least turn by turn directions with the drivers assistant view, or is that something that isn't currently possible?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've been watching a few idrive8 videos to prepare for my (hopefully) soon to arrive edrive40. I see that the instrument cluster can be configured to show navigation, and there also seems to be a drivers assist view where you can see your car in the current lane, and nearby cars. Is there any way to combine the two views, i.e. can you still show navigation or at least turn by turn directions with the drivers assistant view, or is that something that isn't currently possible?
Not to my knowledge, but if you have the HUD you could combine both. On my instrument panel I have the Assisted View selected and on my HUD the navigation (even with Android Auto Waze navigating)

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Not to my knowledge, but if you have the HUD you could combine both. On my instrument panel I have the Assisted View selected and on my HUD the navigation (even with Android Auto Waze navigating)

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
Just to clarify, but waze is displayed via android auto on the HUD?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, but more simplified than the BMW navigation.
The BMW navigation shows the map on the HUD with details where to turn and how to follow your route.
Maps and Waze show less information. Eg. Maps only shows when to turn left/right.

Screenshot BMW navigation on HUD, see image 6 on this website:

Reactions: cboodts

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would use the BMW Nav. at least here in EU its close to perfect.

Only the HUD is really annoying me, it sometimes simply does not show the Navigation like in my old 430xD. It's a clear step back, there is through the 3 displays so much more totally useless information and most of the time splited that it's much more stressing and way less useful than it ways before.

Yes, sure all together the Information are better, but they are not good in the way they are presented, we have to drive while picking up the information.

I don't really care for BMW design, it's a question of taste, but there are so many lines and useless graphic stuff, that makes it more complicated to read the information PLUS! :/ in the HUD they even blend out the navigation on several points.

Its just not better as it was before, but I have more informations, great! ;)

·
Registered
2022 i4eDrive 40,19"860M,MSport,Sapphire Black,Vern Oyster, DAPP,PAP,Comf Acc, HK, Innovation
644 Posts
You can have in the hood the navigation that shows you on the highway normally 3km before you have to change lanes, indicating where to go next. You have also on the hood other indications like speed limit, Driving Assistant on /off info etc..
On the control display you could have the extended Driving Assistant information graphically……..

·
Registered
2022 e40 Sport
363 Posts
I have found the drivers assist view is not very useful. Yea, it confirms there are vehicles around you, which you can do with your own eyes. I put the BMW Nav on the HUD and energy consumption on the main screen.

·
Registered
2022 i4eDrive 40,19"860M,MSport,Sapphire Black,Vern Oyster, DAPP,PAP,Comf Acc, HK, Innovation
644 Posts
I have found the drivers assist view is not very useful. Yea, it confirms there are vehicles around you, which you can do with your own eyes. I put the BMW Nav on the HUD and energy consumption on the main screen.
also a good idea…

·
Registered
2022 BMW i4 eDrive40 M Sport
59 Posts
A bit off of this thread, but similar. When I turn on my navigation route guidance the HUD display switches to the route guidance mode (lanes, turns, etc.) but the instrument cluster display does not. Although the instrument cluster's guidance display is somewhat of a duplication of HUD's, I do like to use it but dislike having to take my eyes off of the road to use the steering wheel buttons to make the switch. Is there some setting that provides for the instrument cluster's map view to automatically switch to the route view when route guidance is started?

·
Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,722 Posts
A bit off of this thread, but similar. When I turn on my navigation route guidance the HUD display switches to the route guidance mode (lanes, turns, etc.) but the instrument cluster display does not. Although the instrument cluster's guidance display is somewhat of a duplication of HUD's, I do like to use it but dislike having to take my eyes off of the road to use the steering wheel buttons to make the switch. Is there some setting that provides for the instrument cluster's map view to automatically switch to the route view when route guidance is started?
If you push the "List" button on the right cluster on the steering wheel, you can pick different displays. I think one of those might work?

·
Registered
2022 BMW i4 eDrive40 M Sport
59 Posts
If you push the "List" button on the right cluster on the steering wheel, you can pick different displays. I think one of those might work?
Yes, the steering wheel buttons can be used for changing the instrument cluster display to route guidance. But this fiddling requires taking eyes off of the road. It would be much better if the instrument cluster display would automatically switch to route guidance anytime the navigation system's route guidance is turned on. My post asks if there is a setting to implement this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts