BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reviews I've seen/read are in conflict, some say it's electronically limited, and I've seen a BMW spec sheet listed somewhere that says with M Drivers Package, the restriction is lifted... But some other reviews suggested that the 225km/h is due to single speed transmission? If it's indeed electronically limited, why would they limit it at 225km/h rather than the normal 250km/h? It's really not a big deal but it felt kinda going backwards coming from combustion engines and just curious...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Your thinking on the single speed transmission is, I believe, correct. BMW made a conscious decision not to go for dual speed like Porsche have. That said, I do wonder because my current Tesla Model 3 Performance only has single speed and that tops out at 162 mph! Perhaps someone can explain it more fully?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your thinking on the single speed transmission is, I believe, correct. BMW made a conscious decision not to go for dual speed like Porsche have. That said, I do wonder because my current Tesla Model 3 Performance only has single speed and that tops out at 162 mph! Perhaps someone can explain it more fully?
BMW is using electrically excited synchronous motors (ESM). The excitation of the rotor is not induced by fixed permanent magnets, but by the feed-in of electric energy. This avoids the uses of critical rate earth metals required for magnetic components and allows for better performance at higher speeds and better efficientcy. But i think having copper windings in the Rotor also limits the max RPM the Motor can do.

225 is not to bad tho, polestar 2 performance only does 205.

·
Registered
185 Posts
BMW is using electrically excited synchronous motors (ESM). The excitation of the rotor is not induced by fixed permanent magnets, but by the feed-in of electric energy. This avoids the uses of critical rate earth metals required for magnetic components and allows for better performance at higher speeds and better efficientcy. But i think having copper windings in the Rotor also limits the max RPM the Motor can do.
This makes sense, thanks. For me, it's a non issue really In reality, I can't remeber the last time I went over 100 mph (on a private road of course :)) I much prefer the increased torque levels at higher rpm that this solution offers. My current Model 3 Performance torque tails off somewhat at motorway speeds, I am thinking the M50 will be better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The reviews I've seen/read are in conflict, some say it's electronically limited, and I've seen a BMW spec sheet listed somewhere that says with M Drivers Package, the restriction is lifted... But some other reviews suggested that the 225km/h is due to single speed transmission? If it's indeed electronically limited, why would they limit it at 225km/h rather than the normal 250km/h? It's really not a big deal but it felt kinda going backwards coming from combustion engines and just curious...
225 kph limit? The petrol 440I tops out at 163 miles per hour. BMW should do better!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know I live in a backwoods but if you get caught here in Saskatchewan Canada exceeding the speed limit by more that about 60 km per hour, you could end up in jail and getting caught will be on the local news. Moot point for most of the world.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think the fastest I've ever gone in a car is 138 on the front straight of a race track. The instructor told me to slow down. I maxed out at 120 or so from then on. Full acceleration. Hit 120. Back off.

E60 550i.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
169 Posts
I know I live in a backwoods but if you get caught here in Saskatchewan Canada exceeding the speed limit by more that about 60 km per hour, you could end up in jail and getting caught will be on the local news. Moot point for most of the world.
Yes but they would say , "Ultrachrome, was driving his brand new BMW M50 Electric Vehicle at 220kph , 140 kph over the posted speed of 80km and as a result, the vehicle was impounded and he was given a 30day driving suspension".

·
Registered
2019 BMW M4cs
10 Posts
fortunately 5.

I can see why other countries that have unlimited top speeds can benefit from it. I guess for me it's not an issue that it's limited at 225kph, plenty fast for me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes but they would say , "Ultrachrome, was driving his brand new BMW M50 Electric Vehicle at 220kph , 140 kph over the posted speed of 80km and as a result, the vehicle was impounded and he was given a 30day driving suspension".
Hmmm...are you suggesting this as a strategy to get more people into EVs?..."but officer, I'm only speeding to save the world" 😃

1 - 20 of 22 Posts