BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer explained he has an iX coming in at the end of the month. Slightly more money but way more range. My M50 is suppose to be in transit by the end of the month but it's been sitting in Germany since June waiting on this bloody SW load.

I am in need of a third car. Five person household and everyone needs rides for work, school and other.

Would you leave your M50 that's been sitting for four months or would you switch to an iX ?

·
Super Moderator
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
3,530 Posts
No way. But I can't stand driving SUVs. YMMV.

·
Registered
2023 i4 M50. Frozen Pure Grey, Shadowline, Cognac Sensatec, Open Pore Wood, 861M, 50th
158 Posts
This is a hard question to answer for you because the cars are so different. I'm not an SUV guy and I'm not a fan of the iX styling, but that's personal preference. I assume you choose the m50 over the iX for a reason so you have to think about whether that has changed. For me it's a no brainer to wait for the m50 in your situation.

·
Super Moderator
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
3,530 Posts
Just the sway I felt driving the iX takes it out of the running for me. I couldn't figure out the controls quickly, but would have over time. They styling is BMW SUV, so it's "fine," but it's not a driver's car. It's a driver's SUV. Totally different experience.

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - not delivered
1,236 Posts
Just the sway I felt driving the iX takes it out of the running for me. I couldn't figure out the controls quickly, but would have over time. They styling is BMW SUV, so it's "fine," but it's not a driver's car. It's a driver's SUV. Totally different experience.
Nice Taxi, have see one so far in Norway.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, the iX is just such an ugly, goofy car. If you like it, great, but I think it's hideous. The M50 is a sleek sports sedan, the iX is a disproportionate minivan thing. :sick:

Sorry to anyone that likes its styling, to each their own, but I wouldn't touch it.
My son kept referring to it as a van during a test drive

·
Registered
Ordered 2023 M50
149 Posts
I took one for a test drive with my wife. We had no idea how to open the doors leaving the SUV.

• Haha
Reactions: ssh

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep totally agree.... have to say though it hauls ass ....whew its quick but scary
cause it handles like an SUV

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is a hard question to answer for you because the cars are so different. I'm not an SUV guy and I'm not a fan of the iX styling, but that's personal preference. I assume you choose the m50 over the iX for a reason so you have to think about whether that has changed. For me it's a no brainer to wait for the m50 in your situation.
Thanks Ank I have decided to wait it out and maybe pay for some UBER rides for my sons when they don't have a car to drive ( because we are missing one ) The iX was tempting but they had an M50 in the show room ( sold sign on it ) and they had an 850 next to it in my ordered color ( San Remo Green ) and it's unbelievable.....just gorgeous.

All my chips are pushed to the middle of the table waiting for my M50

·
Registered
207 Posts
How close are they in price? A well optioned iX is easily $10-20k more

·
Registered
BMW X5 45e 2022
191 Posts
Same here. No way.

I've been driving our X5. I'm so tired of driving an SUV.

Waiting for my M50......
Same here. Been driving the X5 45e. Can't wait to get back into a sedan.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I test drove the two mentioned cars back to back. i4 M50 is a rocket, I drove the iX M50(they didn't have the M60 for the event I went to here in Denver), and it wasn't as drastic as i4. But the suspension was quite good and the iX took the corners surprisingly well. I am sure the M60 version would be comparable to i4 in terms of dramatic response.
Being built on dedicated EV platform, the interior in iX is spacious, and seats though not much thigh support(the thigh extension portion in i4) were pretty comfortable. I loved the HUD and the camera functions in iX compared to the HUD and camera function on i4(may be they were not setup right, I didn't play around with the settings). It feels like a spacious current gen X3, if that makes any sense. I already have an X5 and a 5 series, so bigger vehicle doesn't interest me much.
If the exterior were somewhere near to current X3, I would have considered selling my X5 and getting the iX. The iX exterior is just not going to fly for us. We are going to have to keep an SUV for sometime, at least till my kid needs the stroller. Other than that, we are only interested in the 3 series size cars. We had e46 coupe and e92 before the X5 and 5 series for last 14 years, hence our interest to get an i4 (if it ever comes). I do have an order for Fisker Ocean extreme to downsize from X5. If I do go through with Fisker Ocean Extreme(waiting for reviews), then I am going to drop off the i4 list and probably go with ICE 2 or 3 series. Not really want to go away with the inline 6, as long as possible.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts