BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - not delivered
1,217 Posts
Best thing with the iXM60 is the "normal" topspeed of 250 KMH - standard on almost all cars, except Porsche, AMG Mercedes, and BMW M ICE that can be unlocked. There is a big difference driving in Germany with a car "only" going 225 KMH - then you really will have to change lanes all the time.

·
Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
2,065 Posts
My dealer explained he has an iX coming in at the end of the month. Slightly more money but way more range. My M50 is suppose to be in transit by the end of the month but it's been sitting in Germany since June waiting on this bloody SW load.

I am in need of a third car. Five person household and everyone needs rides for work, school and other.

Would you leave your M50 that's been sitting for four months or would you switch to an iX ?
With five persons you would be tight in the M50 if you want to go together, but the iX should be quite spacious.

It would handle less sporty though.

Never fear about takers for the M50.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i4 M50 for me. I love how it is electric but holds true to BMW tradition, especially on interior. iX for my wife. She loves the interior, sun roof, smooth ride, seated higher than a car. Happy wife. Happy life.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If the iX had the i4 controls I would have strongly considered it.

But the iX controls are wacky... volume + prev/next on the center console? And the follow distance button? It feels like BMW tried to be different for no reason.

View attachment 16220
Open pore wood and high gloss black in a high touch point area. My French fry eating fingers will eventually stain the wood. No thanks.

Also, if the white lettering were to ever wear off on the open pore wood console buttons, the car is a total loss.

I don't want volume and track forward/back buttons on the center console. This area should be reserved for driving controls. It feels wrong.

Not for me.

·
Registered
2023 i4 M50. Frozen Pure Grey, Shadowline, Cognac Sensatec, Open Pore Wood, 861M, 50th
145 Posts
I think the new Macan EV will be a better driver's SUV option when it comes out. I'm not an SUV guy though. My dream is to have the m50 and add a Taycan in a few years. Then my wife and I can fight over which to drive everyday and both of us will win.

·
Super Moderator
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
3,365 Posts
I think the new Macan EV will be a better driver's SUV option when it comes out. I'm not an SUV guy though. My dream is to have the m50 and add a Taycan in a few years. Then my wife and I can fight over which to drive everyday and both of us will win.
And I want an M3-like EV. Or maybe even an M2. Small, small, small!

Reactions: voxel

·
Registered
2023 I4 M50 Tanzanite Blue with all the goodies except the laser lights.
68 Posts
I test drove IX m50 and m60. Honestly, I actually liked them quite bit. They were quiet and the ride was very nice, it is just not the most attractive car around but it was wonderful to drive. I went with an i4 M50 instead just because I don't need another SUV.

·
Registered
2023 i4 M50, Sunset Orange Metallic ... "Oh, that Chris Brynner!"
67 Posts
And I want an M3-like EV. Or maybe even an M2. Small, small, small!
The i4 is already way too big. I wish the MINI EV wasn't such an anemic offering.

Reactions: Techwhiz1 and ssh

·
Registered
BMW i4 eDrive40 - 08/2022 - Tanzanite Blue - Sensatec Cognac
230 Posts
No way. But I can't stand driving SUVs. YMMV.
Exactly my thoughts. SUVs, especially these days and without a real need for them, is just ... not reasonable. And they're ugly. And they block the view for other cars behind.

·
Registered
BMW i4 eDrive40 - 08/2022 - Tanzanite Blue - Sensatec Cognac
230 Posts
I would have liked a i4 coupe... that would have been the ideal size. I'm on board with smaller.
But the i4 is a coupé? You mean a smaller, 2 door one? They didn't build that (yet) because of lesser space for the battery, combined with the high weight because of the battery.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Best thing with the iXM60 is the "normal" topspeed of 250 KMH - standard on almost all cars, except Porsche, AMG Mercedes, and BMW M ICE that can be unlocked. There is a big difference driving in Germany with a car "only" going 225 KMH - then you really will have to change lanes all the time.
In my experience it is a very rare event to drive 220 km/h and have someone behind you who wants to go faster. I’m not saying it doesn’t occur once in a while, but for me that is not “field relevant “.

·
Registered
2023 i4 M50. Frozen Pure Grey, Shadowline, Cognac Sensatec, Open Pore Wood, 861M, 50th
145 Posts
But the i4 is a coupé? You mean a smaller, 2 door one? They didn't build that (yet) because of lesser space for the battery, combined with the high weight because of the battery.
Put the marketing aside... the i4 is not a coupe. It is a sedan with a bit more sloping. The length difference between the coupe and gran coupe isn't enough to make it harder to fit the battery. I suspect they didn't build it because demand for coupes much lower. I totally get it from a business perspective. I just the look of a 2 door coupe.

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - not delivered
1,217 Posts
I test drove IX m50 and m60. Honestly, I actually liked them quite bit. They were quiet and the ride was very nice, it is just not the most attractive car around but it was wonderful to drive. I went with an i4 M50 instead just because I don't need another SUV.
It takes some time to be used to (like the i3). Now that I see the iX many times every day, I think it is ok.
If you need a 4WD SUV, most people agree that the iX is the best you can get.

Interesting video at minutes 27, you can see the difference between the iX and i4M50 - iX to the rescue of the i4M50.(i4M50 did not have optimal Nordic winter tires)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
In my experience it is a very rare event to drive 220 km/h and have someone behind you who wants to go faster. I’m not saying it doesn’t occur once in a while, but for me that is not “field relevant “.
A few years since I drove thru Germany, but my brother that drives between Italy and Norway at least two times every year, actually replaced his Mercedes 300 with a CLS 350 mainly because of higher top speed (230 vs 250).
However it can be argued that EV's is not the optimal car to do that yet.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Put the marketing aside... the i4 is not a coupe. It is a sedan with a bit more sloping. The length difference between the coupe and gran coupe isn't enough to make it harder to fit the battery. I suspect they didn't build it because demand for coupes much lower. I totally get it from a business perspective. I just the look of a 2 door coupe.
The arguments from BMW is that they designed the Grand Coupe first as an EV - and they had to stretch it compared to the old model - to get space for the battery. Longer cars also less air resistance. Also the China only i3 is based on the long wheelbase 3-Series.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep. Very different vehicles. The iX although a SUV, the fact that it's electric and the battery helps keep the car down. Is far superb to most ICE SUVs. Handling is day and night compared to my X5.

I test drove the iX M60 and absolutely would buy one if I had the money. Not sure if I'd get the iX before and i4 as I don't need the space now. Would be great for people with small kids.

But it's won't compare with a sport sedan like an i4.

Buy an i4 if
  • you want a sportier drive
  • don't need all that extra space

Buy an iX if
  • you need/enjoy space
  • are ok with a less sportier drive (compared to a sports sedan) and don't mind a more upright seating position (versus slumming it in an i4).
  • have the extra money
  • want a little more luxury

·
Registered
BMW i4 M50
109 Posts
Very different vehicles. Why not both?.
Which is exactly what I did. My wife predominately drives the iX and I will drive the 2022/23/24 or whenever i4. We love the iX despite all the nay sayers. It’s like no other car we’ve driven before. Both very different cars but each having its unique purpose. As stated previously, I prefer sedans but you cannot beat the utilitarianism of the SUV. I’m also not a small guy, so linger trips in the i4 will be difficult for me.

Reactions: i4m50Norway and ssh
21 - 40 of 44 Posts