BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything different for jacking up an M50 because of the air suspension on the rear? Can’t find anything in the manual, just use the jacking points etc. for changing wheels…

I jacked it up and there was a sound “loud click”. Could not see anything bad so I lifted it more. Probably came from the jack.
After lowering it back down I noticed that the car looked like it had been lowered in the rear (Smaller gap than usual above tire and well but just rear tires). When I started the car it it told me to wait while it raised itself. Then it was back to normal.

· Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,789 Posts
Is there anything different for jacking up an M50 because of the air suspension on the rear? Can’t find anything in the manual, just use the jacking points etc. for changing wheels…

I jacked it up and there was a sound “loud click”. Could not see anything bad so I lifted it more. Probably came from the jack.
After lowering it back down I noticed that the car looked like it had been lowered in the rear (Smaller gap than usual above tire and well but just rear tires). When I started the car it it told me to wait while it raised itself. Then it was back to normal.
It deflated its air suspension so it sat lower. A lot of members have remarked on this.
I thought I saw the jack points in the Owner's Manual, so if you used those, that's it.

Yup.
Preparing the vehicle
Park the vehicle on solid and non-slip ground at a safe distance from road traffic.
Turn on the hazard warning system.
Set the parking brake.
Engage a gear or move the selector lever to position P.
As soon as permitted by the traffic flow, have all vehicle occupants get out and make sure that they remain outside the hazardous area such as behind a guardrail.
Depending on the vehicle equipment, get wheel change tools and, if necessary, the emergency wheel from the vehicle.
If necessary, set up a warning triangle or portable hazard warning light at an appropriate distance.
Secure the vehicle additionally against rolling away.
Loosen the lug bolts a half turn.
Jacking points

The jacking points are located at the indicated positions.
There's nothing else except how to fit the jack and turn the crank and where to put wheel chocks.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why did it do that? Deflate the air suspension? Did it try to balance the car to sit flat, not knowing I was jacking it up?

For wheel chock I just use a piece of wood. Normally I don’t use anything because I’m using a hydraulic floor jack which is stable enough and of course parking brake.

· Registered
98 Posts
The car jacking points are normal BMW jack points that fit the normal BMW jack pads that you can get of Amazon Ebay etc. The M50 does however sit much lower - even though I had a low profile trolley jack that fits every other car I have ever tried it on, it was not low enough so I had to buy an ultra low profile trolley jack to get enough clearance to insert the BMW jack pad. The M50 is over 2000Kg so I bought a 2750Kg rated ultra low profile trolley jack from Costco. There are no issues with the air suspension when jacking up the car.

· Registered
1,322 Posts
Why did it do that? Deflate the air suspension? Did it try to balance the car to sit flat, not knowing I was jacking it up?

For wheel chock I just use a piece of wood. Normally I don’t use anything because I’m using a hydraulic floor jack which is stable enough and of course parking brake.

· Registered
i4 M50 19" 861 M Brooklyn Grey
351 Posts
so far as I can see indeed 4 points. I bought 2 jack blocks. Waiting now for a scissor jack ( which comes with my homecomer - sparewheel I ordered ) . Hopefully the jack is low enough to under the m50 since it is low.
Else I need to buy a more expensive low jack... rather not

· Registered
1,322 Posts
There is a central jack point under the front motor.

· Registered
1,322 Posts
Do you know if there's one on the eDrive40 as well, or is the subframe different?
It should be located around the same area, between the front wheels - sample illustration:
Font Engineering Circle Electronic device Auto part

1 - 13 of 13 Posts