BMW i4 Forum banner

Laser Lights and Adaptive, a connected drive option…

Tags
light
18K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Dav1 
#1 ·
Hi folks

My UK dealer informed me yesterday that Laser Lights are not adaptive from the factory. They apparently need a one-off payment in connected drive to turn on the Adaptive functionality. I think he said it was £95…

The dealer said they were multiple emails to bmw trying to get this included and hoped it would be active on my car at delivery. For me this is an estimated 9 months off…

I have had 3 BMW’s so far, 1 E90 with awful Halogens, a F30 with Adaptive Xenons and presently a F31 with Adaptive LED’s. My wife’s Mini has Adaptive LED’s.

The standard LED’s are adaptive in the U.K. So, this is a bit odd that the £1500 upgrade downgrades the lights…

The only reason for this I can think of is in some markets varying light intensity is not allowed. I understand this function is not allowed in the USA for example. So, maybe this keeps things simple in the roll out. Hopefully this will sort out down the line.

#2 ·
In the US, based on the price list posted on BMW's website (the configurator is not up yet, ETA 18-nov-2021), the Laserlights option is phrased "5AZ Icon Adaptive LED Headlights with Laserlight", so Adaptive LED Headlights ARE included. In the US, from what I can gather from YouTube videos, when there is a car in front, to avoid dazzling the other driver, they turn off the Laserlight, and use the LED in adaptive mode to light up around the other driver; and then they turn back the Laserlight when there is no longer anybody in front. So the Laserlights themselves are not adaptive over here, the US manual also says they turn off automatically when there are other cars around, but they are sold with adaptive LED headlights which compensate for when you can't use them. Hopefully, when the US Configurator is up, we will have the same details as in Canada and even in the UK, see below.

The Canada configurator for the i4 further defines the BMW Laserlight as: "The equipment includes LED high beam with laser module, LED low beam, LED parking lights, LED daytime running lights with iconic light guide, LED cornering lights, LED turning lights, LED indicators, Adaptive headlights and BMW Selective Beam (dazzle-free High-beam assistant)".

Actually, I looked into the UK configurator, and the "Laserlight" option is defined as "Laserlights include low and high-beam, daytime driving lights, side turn indicators, adaptive headlights and cornering lights, all in LED technology. High-beam features a laser module above approximately 37mph/60kph and includes BMW Selective Beam, the dazzle-free high-beam assistant from BMW", so I think your UK dealer is mistaken (and I have no idea where he found the £95 option). You might want to show him the page from bmw.co.uk > Models > i4 > Build and Price, then scroll down all the way to the bottom right to Add more extras > Visibility Pack > Show all 2 options > Laserlights > more details. Alternatively, this is also available in Add more extras > Optional equipment > View all optional equipment > Safety and Security > Laserlights (you have to click on Laserlights to see the details).

#3 ·
My UK dealer was talking from experience of other current BMW models fitted with Laserlights, his present drive has them from his sales pitch… They were a spec certainty for me as a shift worker, so no sales required. Especially as this is negative information.

My order form has the Visibility Pack (Z0C) which contains High Beam Assistant (5AC) and Laserlights (5AZ).

In the UK High Beam assistant historically refers to a simple hi-low switch over. In previous UK BMW forums for previous cars city dwellers have not been able to justify Adaptive lighting. So, I wonder if this is some kind of way of selling the look without the function…

Though, hopefully you are correct. I just thought this is useful information for fellow forum members to run past their dealers when ordering.

#4 ·
In the US high beam assistant is standard. The laser lights are listed as "Icon Adaptive LED Headlights with Laser light" and describes it as pushes the boundaries of maximum allowable for the US.

#10 ·
If the hardware is there and only crippled, then someone will figure out how to unlock or code it via INPA.

My cars have all been "coded".
My X5 supports playing DVDs while in motion.

My 335 ans X5 are programmed for external window up with remote.

If it's there, someone will figure out how to make it work.

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

Reactions: XtBimmer and M.Juul
#15 ·
Adaptive headlights are now legal in the US. Hopefully, BMW enables them here before launch.

Reactions: Quezy
#16 ·
Very nice, thank you for posting. Technically, this rule is still awaiting Federal Register Publication, so it's not effective yet, though Manufacturers can review it and prepare for it. They also will review petitions up to 45 days after the publication for potential (though unlikely) changes. As everything governmental though, this means that manufacturers will wait until the 45 days elapse, may be a few more weeks for the NHTSA to declare the petition period over and their conclusion, then they will announce their plans. I would expect Mercedes, Audi and BMW to announce OTA and dealer update plan since most of their cars have had the hardware for some time. There might be even a chance that by the time I get my i4 M50 in July-August, the "de-coding for anti-dazzle headlights" (read: software block of ADB for US legal requirements) might be already removed!:unsure:

#18 ·
Looks like the not-yet-built i4s may not have it decoded:

Reactions: Jay47
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.