BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to my Dealer and he asked me if I was going with Leather or SensaTec seats. My thought has been to save a bit and go with SensaTec. From what I have been reading, it looks like leather and might even last longer. Thoughts? BTW i dont care abour resale value because I will keeping my M50 for as long as I can!! Cheers!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, no idea on how Sensatec will be, but I am also going with it. Owner of 2020 330e and now the 2021 iX3 with Vernasca leather, I can say it probably is better to go Sensatec + Alcantara from longevity view, as the Vernasca leather gets stripes / slight use marks real fast, both driver seat and the passenger seat. So Sensatec FTW

·
Registered
146 Posts
I will go for Sensatec. It will last much better than the leather options. What I can read online it will stay like new for a much longer period.
Most people also cant tell it is "fake or vegan" leather and thinks it is real.

Only complaint I have found online is the breathability. Some think that leather can better breath than sensatec and you may be a little sweaty on the back on hot summer days. But the new sensatic option for the i4 is with perforated look. So it will give nice ventilation for the bag. Don't think this will be an issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does the choice matter if you want heated seats?
No, not for the seated seats. It is an option on both the leather and sensatec (and in some markets already included).
What you can't get with sensatec is the full M upgraded bucket seats, then it is automatically upgraded to full leather, full electric option.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I refuse to believe that the tensile strength of a PVC / PU fabric can be better than leather. I’m imagining cracking and tears will come more easily, but that the surface will hold up better.

A lot of people are saying it’s improved a lot, wish there were some actual material tests. I have the Dakota leather in my car, it’s not very soft. I hear it’s supposed to be much of the same as vernasca. Feels like I could power wash them, and they have absolutely no wear after 330 000 km. I would have paid for a nicer leather if they had the option.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your feedback everyone!! Sounds like both options are good, and up to personnal preference. I think inwill go with SendaTec and spend on something else instead, like winter tires and rims 😉

·
Registered
15 Posts
One comment from a car enthusiast hippie. Buy synthetic seats instead of cow behinds. The industrial scale animal production is bad for the environment and for the animals. If the leather is not used for commercial use, meat price will increase and people will choose to eat more veggies and fish. Everybody wins. Except, maybe the fish.

And another comment while I've got all heated up. The synthetic material used in Tesla seats has proven to be very durable and pretty nice to touch. Also, it is very easy to clean even in white color.

So, I vote for the Sensatec every day of the week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sensatec will most probably last longer than leather, alcantara won't.
Bear in mind that the cheaper leather options have a PU layer with leather "look" print over them, so they won't get scratched as easily as the real thing. They will eventually get marks on the outside bolsters, as my BMWs with Dakota did after a few years.

I think I'll go with leather in order to get seat ventilation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My G30 with sensatec has a small tear/loose outer layer spot on the passenger seat. Its very small, and on the part of the seat people typicaly slide over when sitting down in the car.
The thickness of this layer that is the sensatec is really thin and i dont think i will ever order it again after seeing this. I can take a pic when i get home.. 100% not something that could happen to leather seats.

Big question is if it will get bigger over time.

Edit added pics:

As you can see on the white spot the colored layer is comming off. No idea how it could have happened as i never had an animal in the car. To me it looks like its starting to come off on 3 small spots near the big one also. The layer is so thin its almost scary. Behind this layer is white fabric that makes up the rest of the "sensatec" . I would say its thinner than 0.15mm. Almost comparable to a logo print on a t-shirt..

On the bottom picture you can clearly see that its starting to spread, and also on the other side of the stiching.

Passenger seat and car has 46.000 km..

·
Registered
Bmw 640d M coupe ‘11, Bmw X3 2.0d xdrive M ‘19
56 Posts
Hi all,

I have a ‘19 x3 g01 with black vernasca leather in sport seats and it’s holding up very well so far.

I think specially Alcantara may have some issues on the resale value (if you are not renting). I remember when I was looking for an used 6 series coupe f13 a couple of years ago and I avoided all the cars (not many) that had the Alcantara sport seats. Used they didn’t look very good to me, specially in the pictures, and when you buy used usually you aim for the cars with better specs/options and skip the ones with lower specs (or consider them at a discount).

Sensatec may be a better option and they should last (I had a ‘17 Audi A4 with beige faux leather - a €1k option- and it hold on very well, after 2 years when I returned it they looked as new). Then again the Vernasca stitching in the middle looks to me way better than the Sensatec flat perforated pattern and as for resale it might have an impact if many used cars have the vernasca leather.

This is also one reason why I would spec the m sport seats - I think they look cooler and they might help on resale later on, as most cars would have the standard sport seats.

Regards

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi all,

I have a ‘19 x3 g01 with black vernasca leather in sport seats and it’s holding up very well so far.

I think specially Alcantara may have some issues on the resale value (if you are not renting). I remember when I was looking for an used 6 series coupe f13 a couple of years ago and I avoided all the cars (not many) that had the Alcantara sport seats. Used they didn’t look very good to me, specially in the pictures, and when you buy used usually you aim for the cars with better specs/options and skip the ones with lower specs (or consider them at a discount).

Sensatec may be a better option and they should last (I had a ‘17 Audi A4 with beige faux leather - a €1k option- and it hold on very well, after 2 years when I returned it they looked as new). Then again the Vernasca stitching in the middle looks to me way better than the Sensatec flat perforated pattern and as for resale it might have an impact if many used cars have the vernasca leather.

This is also one reason why I would spec the m sport seats - I think they look cooler and they might help on resale later on, as most cars would have the standard sport seats.

Regards
Joao
Welcome to the forum @Jcm78! How are you looking to spec your i4? Is it going to replace your X3?

·
Registered
Bmw 640d M coupe ‘11, Bmw X3 2.0d xdrive M ‘19
56 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Jcm78! How are you looking to spec your i4? Is it going to replace your X3?
Hi
Thank you. The i4 will replace a 640d f13 coupe. I have a second kid now and it’s impossible to put the baby seat in the back. This is the main reason and we end up using the x3 all the time. A 4 door was in need and although I considered a 640d grand coupe (used) the i4 seems more logical. I also considered a Tesla s or 3 and an Audi etron. In the end the i4 has everything I wanted and is a new model. I asked a quote for an m50, black sapphire and m seats in black/blue stitching, 18” 858 and almost every option. Delivery in March/April. Let’s see.
Regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts