BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I revisited my dealer, and while they were fixing something on my current car I got some real ass-in-seat time in all their exhibition cars, and also got a chance to talk to the sellers.
Looking around at the different model lines and interiors, I want to share my opinions about what are the best choices for the interior.
The i4 they have has M-sport seats with black leather.

My initial impression is that the Vernasca leather is pretty hard, even harder than my 5-series Dakota leather. It might break in a bit, maybe not. They didn’t have any Sensatec cars, but I did try it versus a 5 series with the Merino(?) leather and comfort seats.

i4 vs 5-series interior
The current 5-series just feels bigger than the i4 in every way, seats, windshield, distance to the passenger and rear seat, everything. The doors have the premium leather, which made for a much nicer finish than what the i4 has, even if you pick the premium leather dash.
The main difference of the seats were the softness of especially the headrest, and the seatback, also how wide the seat was. The seat width adjuster ran for days on that one before it became firm, it’s much narrower on the i4.
All in all, the seats were quite similar, aside for a bit more electrical gadgets on the 5-series. That the steering wheel went up when you were entering/exiting the car was a real nice touch.

M-sports seats vs Sports seats
Next comparison was with a new m340d touring with Sports seats in brown leather.
This seat feels almost exactly like the m-sport seat, except it’s softer on your back. The width adjustability is still there, and lumbar if you pick that.
Yes, the m-sport seat looks cool, but so does the sports seat. The seller said the side-bolster for where your thighs are, are more pronounced with the m-sports seats, gonna have to wait to test that. I think the M-sports will be uncomfortable for longer journeys, and not better in any way than the Sports seats. Also, you get a much wider color selection with the normal seats, and I get the feeling you pay extra for an M-badge.

Interior colors and lower dash trims
Here it’s important to notice that for some of the color selections, the under-dash panels are also in that color. They become black if you select the leather-dash trim.
I think black is too dark in the cabin and would like something else. If I pick the m sport seats I have to then pick cognac, which looks good, but forces me to additionally pick the leather dash option, which I think is quite expensive considering what you’re getting.
The Tacora Red and Mocca Brown has a black lower dash trim by default.
I think the Mocca brown looks good, if only a bit like an old professors office. That can be good or bad. Nice, but not exciting. It looked really nice together with the carbon fiber trim.
I’d really like to see a car with that, the seller informed me that they didn’t really sell cars with that color but they had some orders for i4 with it.

Interior and exterior combinations
Final point is which interior color is suitable for which exterior color?
I've only listed the once I've considered

Portimao blue
  • Black
  • Brown
  • Cognac (a bit much some may say)
Dravit grey
  • Black (a bit dark)
  • Cognac
  • Brown
  • Red
San Remo green
  • Cognac (perfect fit)
  • Brown

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
387 Posts
I love the oyster interior and that's what I ordered. I really wanted something light this go around. My wife has a car with a similar color interior to the oyster and we always feel good when in it. My Audi has a black interior and I'm getting tired of black interiors. I always wanted the lighter interior but there was always some reason why I didn't get it or couldn't get it.

I have no concern about cleaning a light interior since I found a leather cleaner that's been working great. It takes off any blue jeans rub off easily.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Agreed, @Ken7 - I have an Oyster-like color in my current vehicle, have had it for nearly 4 years, and it has worn well. I like the contrast too. It helps in the summer as well. My wife has liked it enough that she wanted it again in the i4 (although I was willing to try the Red too).

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Today I revisited my dealer, and while they were fixing something on my current car I got some real ass-in-seat time in all their exhibition cars, and also got a chance to talk to the sellers.
Looking around at the different model lines and interiors, I want to share my opinions about what are the best choices for the interior.
The i4 they have has M-sport seats with black leather.

My initial impression is that the Vernasca leather is pretty hard, even harder than my 5-series Dakota leather. It might break in a bit, maybe not. They didn’t have any Sensatec cars, but I did try it versus a 5 series with the Merino(?) leather and comfort seats.

i4 vs 5-series interior
The current 5-series just feels bigger than the i4 in every way, seats, windshield, distance to the passenger and rear seat, everything. The doors have the premium leather, which made for a much nicer finish than what the i4 has, even if you pick the premium leather dash.
The main difference of the seats were the softness of especially the headrest, and the seatback, also how wide the seat was. The seat width adjuster ran for days on that one before it became firm, it’s much narrower on the i4.
All in all, the seats were quite similar, aside for a bit more electrical gadgets on the 5-series. That the steering wheel went up when you were entering/exiting the car was a real nice touch.

M-sports seats vs Sports seats
Next comparison was with a new m340d touring with Sports seats in brown leather.
This seat feels almost exactly like the m-sport seat, except it’s softer on your back. The width adjustability is still there, and lumbar if you pick that.
Yes, the m-sport seat looks cool, but so does the sports seat. The seller said the side-bolster for where your thighs are, are more pronounced with the m-sports seats, gonna have to wait to test that. I think the M-sports will be uncomfortable for longer journeys, and not better in any way than the Sports seats. Also, you get a much wider color selection with the normal seats, and I get the feeling you pay extra for an M-badge.

Interior colors and lower dash trims
Here it’s important to notice that for some of the color selections, the under-dash panels are also in that color. They become black if you select the leather-dash trim.
I think black is too dark in the cabin and would like something else. If I pick the m sport seats I have to then pick cognac, which looks good, but forces me to additionally pick the leather dash option, which I think is quite expensive considering what you’re getting.
The Tacora Red and Mocca Brown has a black lower dash trim by default.
I think the Mocca brown looks good, if only a bit like an old professors office. That can be good or bad. Nice, but not exciting. It looked really nice together with the carbon fiber trim.
I’d really like to see a car with that, the seller informed me that they didn’t really sell cars with that color but they had some orders for i4 with it.

Interior and exterior combinations
Final point is which interior color is suitable for which exterior color?
I've only listed the once I've considered

Portimao blue
  • Black
  • Brown
  • Cognac (a bit much some may say)
Dravit grey
  • Black (a bit dark)
  • Cognac
  • Brown
  • Red
San Remo green
  • Cognac (perfect fit)
  • Brown
Mine is San Remo green with Cognac interior. In the US, the dash sensatec covering comes standard in black (or dark gray "anthracite", I'm not quite sure) above the trim line, the portion below it is the same color as the seats; and the headliner is definitely "anthracite" dark grey.

·
Registered
2019 BMW M4cs
125 Posts
I'd like to add in regards to i4 (which is a 3 series essentially) vs. G30 5 series, since I've had both in my garage with the G20 330i replacing a G30 540i.

The G30 540i's interior is NOT build is tight as the G20, which is an oddity since all other generations the 5 series always overshadows the 3/4 series in build quality. BMW took a step backwards and the interior of the G30 and how it's mounted/built: plastic creaking noises, particularly the door cards. The level of solidity of how the door cards is mounted to the door itself is not on the same level as the G20, the G20's interior is very very very tightly screwed in place, everything feels as a "single-piece" so-to-speak, and I anticipate the i4 being exactly built to the same standards.

Also, I recently had a G30 LCI 530i loaner with sensatec, the only thing missing from it over leather is the leather smell, you simply cannot tell the difference between Vernasca leather and Sensatec in feel and visual queues now, even the level of firmness. They both are firmer than Dakota, Nappa, and Novillo leathers. The leather smell can be alleviated by placing some leather-scented candles somewhere in the interior (maybe under the front seat?), overall though I'm very impressed by the latest gen of sensatec in mimicking leather.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that info Loe P. I’m seriously considering Sensatec, but it’s very unpopular in Norway it seems and I’m not sure about the long term durability. I’ve heard that it’s improved from the first versions of it, but I saw a lot of cars very worn where you enter the car. I don’t think the i4 smells much if leather, and that would make sense if the leather is coated by a layer of plastic and paint. So no loss there.
You’re right, the i4 feels VERY well assembled, absolutely nothing is loose, rattles or poorly designed, except the buttons..
Talking here about the row of buttons under the screens and the buttons near the shifter. These are just big plastic strips rather than individual real buttons, it creaks a bit and you push down the whole plastic panel when depressing it. I guess the real button is underneath. Feels and looks chinesium. Door buttons and handles are top notch, as is the idrive dial.
I also tried the Car Play, it is most excellent.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Thanks for that info Loe P. I’m seriously considering Sensatec, but it’s very unpopular in Norway it seems and I’m not sure about the long term durability. I’ve heard that it’s improved from the first versions of it, but I saw a lot of cars very worn where you enter the car. I don’t think the i4 smells much if leather, and that would make sense if the leather is coated by a layer of plastic and paint. So no loss there.
You’re right, the i4 feels VERY well assembled, absolutely nothing is loose, rattles or poorly designed, except the buttons..
Talking here about the row of buttons under the screens and the buttons near the shifter. These are just big plastic strips rather than individual real buttons, it creaks a bit and you push down the whole plastic panel when depressing it. I guess the real button is underneath. Feels and looks chinesium. Door buttons and handles are top notch, as is the idrive dial.
I also tried the Car Play, it is most excellent.
Actually, I think there are only 2 limit switches one on each side that verifies whether there is a push on the whole strip, or even possibly a single one in the center. Which "button" is actually pushed is detected by capacitive detectors behind the plastic, so basically the electronics know that some thing was pushed and where the finger that pushed the button is.

·
Registered
2019 BMW M4cs
125 Posts
Oh yes! that's a BMW "feature" :ROFLMAO:🤣. I forgot about that piece, but yes it does creak from time to time, mostly when cold but as the interior warms up (or vice versa), it goes away.

One thing to keep in mind with Sensatec, BMW's older "leatherette" was not as durable as made out to be. Some interior bits made out of this material visually looks "melted" on older BMW's, so I really hope Sensatec will last longer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you get the full leather package you probably get the Merino leather with stitching at the top of the i4 doors? Or more colors for the M seats and so on.

extended and Full leather packages:

As example the 3series with/without leather

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That website is such a good tool for comparing! Muuch better than the configurator itself.
It seems that despite picking that, you don't get that feature like how it's shown in the Bimmerpost forum.

Sensatec
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Automotive design

M-sport
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle Window

Sport / standard
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

The perforated Sensatec looks a bit more uninteresting than the rest, I think.
It's clear that the M sport offers additional support for shoulder and thigh, no wonder I didn't notice that when the car was not moving.
With the Leather Dash option, the lower dash here is black, not possible to show that on the Visualizer.

This is the one I am contemplating, because it doesn't have the beige coloured plastic panels. I'm fearing those would look and feel real 90's. I have black plastic in my current car and it is excellent quality, really. If I want the same 'look, I have to go with A: M-sport seats and B: Leather Dash which adds approx 1900eur, which I think is significant.
What I'm thinking is that when I get it and do some spirited driving, I'll miss that extra side support from the seat. Really on the fence here.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got blue exterior with red interior haha. Probably doesn't match but I just wanted a non black interior but keep the dash black.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That website is such a good tool for comparing! Muuch better than the configurator itself.
It seems that despite picking that, you don't get that feature like how it's shown in the Bimmerpost forum.
I think this configurator is a little messed up. It doesn’t show you the leather dash with the extended leather package and doesn’t show the leather door trim of the full leather package. Maybe just for colors and not details.

Always the plastic/sensatec dash is shown and on top of that the dash of the normal 4 series is shown (no storage to the left of the steering).

third and last picture look like ventilated seats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts