BMW i4 Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2022 G26 i4 M50
62 Posts
What pressures are posted on the doorframe?

My cold tire pressures have remained within a degree of the recommended values on the screen.They can rise a couple of degrees while driving a long time.

Ask your dealer whether they adjusted for your particular tires.
Yeah come to think of it that could be it. Was driving for a while before I took the pic

·
Registered
BMW i4 M50
59 Posts
yes me too......it's a little smaller from the outside, but I've done multiple test drives with demos here in Jacksonville and once inside it felt very spacious and comfortable. I think I will love it. I do have a plan "B" Lots of "SWEET TALK" and flowers for the Mrs so I can order the i5. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I currently also have a black 530e which I will be trading for my I4. I will also be ordering an i5 when it becomes available.

• Love
Reactions: dudenjen

·
Registered
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
1,635 Posts
Question: when using climatize on a schedule, what happens if I depart later than planned? Does climatization maintain temps or does it shut down? Does it matter if it’s plugged in or not?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Question: when using climatize on a schedule, what happens if I depart later than planned? Does climatization maintain temps or does it shut down? Does it matter if it’s plugged in or not?
So I took a trip and didn't depart at the time. When I got back in it told me it shut it down to protect the battery. It made me log back in and once I did it started doing clinatization again.

I'm not sure how long it runs without you departing, but I live in a hot climate and when I depart there is always a condensate trail in the parking lot. It feels so very good to get in when I leave work.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
So I took a trip and didn't depart at the time. When I got back in it told me it shut it down to protect the battery. It made me log back in and once I did it started doing clinatization again.

I'm not sure how long it runs without you departing, but I live in a hot climate and when I depart there is always a condensate trail in the parking lot. It feels so very good to get in when I leave work.
Was it plugged in at the time?

Reactions: The Real AV Guy

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
What is the Automatic Program in the climate functions? What does it do?

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - not delivered
936 Posts
Here is something that I find interesting.. the tire pressure screen suggests an optimal pressure to use, but the values are different than the actual tire pressure coming out of the dealership.

Should I adjust? Do you follow the recommended tire pressure?

View attachment 12045
Use as the car suggest - The sw probably knows more about it - than we do.
Since it also monitors the tire temperature. - and it knows about the tire type.

If you believe that you know more about tire pressure than the Engineers that built the car, you might decide for another pressure.

One example for having more pressure is if you believe that higher pressure will reduce consumption, and range is more important than tire life and comfort. Could be an option for a day, where you need the extra range.

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - not delivered
936 Posts
I have only experience with the i3 - there it shuts down, independent of pluged in.

Why do you want to climatize, for Comfort, remove ice, or range ?

If it is for range, it has to be plugged-in until driving off.

Remove ice, it usually does not freeze immediately after turning off - except in really cold weather, but then you need to do multiple climatize's to get it off the door windows.

Comfort - according to tests I have seen, the heating is really fast, just a few minutes to get from 10 deg celsius to 20 celsius, so preheating early, should not be an issue.

On my i3, I usually set departure time 10 - 15 minutes after expected departure, works ok both when I am on schedule, and when I am 10 - 15 minutes delayed.

I also use the keyfob precondition button from the kitchen window, or from the app, depending on where the car is parked.

·
Registered
2016 435i convertible
530 Posts
Use as the car suggest - The sw probably knows more about it - than we do. Since it also monitors the tire temperature. - and it knows about the tire type.
If you believe that you know more about tire pressure than the Engineers that built the car, you might decide for another pressure. One example for having more pressure is if you believe that higher pressure will reduce consumption, and range is more important than tire life and comfort. Could be an option for a day, where you need the extra range.
I have never found two independent tire pressure gauges that read exactly alike. The tp monitor may read differently than the one attached to the air compressor at the dealership. Some locations have a set and forget feature where you set the desired pressure, and it dings and stops filling when reached. If you are somewhat less than dexterous in removing the hose from the valve you may lose a pound or two of pressure in the process. digital gauge vs. analog, etc. I went to a high performance and stunt driving school for TV and movies several years ago. The instructor
Bobby Ore Swore by 5 lbs higher then recommended on all tires for improved handling.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have only experience with the i3 - there it shuts down, independent of pluged in.

Why do you want to climatize, for Comfort, remove ice, or range ?

If it is for range, it has to be plugged-in until driving off.

Remove ice, it usually does not freeze immediately after turning off - except in really cold weather, but then you need to do multiple climatize's to get it off the door windows.

Comfort - according to tests I have seen, the heating is really fast, just a few minutes to get from 10 deg celsius to 20 celsius, so preheating early, should not be an issue.

On my i3, I usually set departure time 10 - 15 minutes after expected departure, works ok both when I am on schedule, and when I am 10 - 15 minutes delayed.

I also use the keyfob precondition button from the kitchen window, or from the app, depending on where the car is parked.
Thanks…

I’m thinking specifically about my commute to Copper: 100 miles each way, to Copper takes me from 5400’ to 9600’ above sea level. It’s early morning (5am-5:30am departure) in the winter (temps in the garage typically 40°F). I’d like the car to be comfy inside and the batteries conditioned to depart.

On the return to Boulder, I will be parked away from charging. Should I plan to use a charger to precondition before departure for 10-15 minutes? Should I precondition the car as I walk from the locker room as I do with my 330 and expect the 10 minutes to not impact battery too much? Since the return is down-mountain, will I have enough range if I don’t charge at Copper? And how much does precondition impact range?

On the return precondition helps even more with windows and heat, of course.

(Yes, I have a lot of questions! And probably far more detail than anyone cares to know.)

·
Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40, Skyscraper Gray, DAPP, PAP, Laserlight, Drive Recorder, eSIM Harmon Kardon
1,030 Posts
Thanks…

I’m thinking specifically about my commute to Copper: 100 miles each way, to Copper takes me from 5400’ to 9600’ above sea level. It’s early morning (5am-5:30am departure) in the winter (temps in the garage typically 40°F). I’d like the car to be comfy inside and the batteries conditioned to depart.

On the return to Boulder, I will be parked away from charging. Should I plan to use a charger to precondition before departure for 10-15 minutes? Should I precondition the car as I walk from the locker room as I do with my 330 and expect the 10 minutes to not impact battery too much? Since the return is down-mountain, will I have enough range if I don’t charge at Copper? And how much does precondition impact range?

(Yes, I have a lot of questions! And probably far more detail than anyone cares to know.)
It sounds like you are going to have to use trial and error to get your answers. Let us know what you find out.

Reactions: ssh

·
Registered
529 Posts
What is the Automatic Program in the climate functions? What does it do?
Auto A/C vs. manual A/C

Automatic means to set a temperature and the car try to meet the condition with adjusting the intensity of the air and the temperature coming. Includes ventilated/heated seats also.

Manual means to set the temperature and the air comes with the same intensity and temperature the whole time.

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
1,541 Posts
Yes, no, maybe, purple, 42 and bananas.

I hope that clears everything up for you.

• Haha
Reactions: ssh and Magicrat

·
Registered
936 Posts
Thanks…

Interesting lets do some calculations.
I have to do it Metric :

Your trip height difference :
2900 meters
- 1645 meters
= 1255 meters diff.

Distance :
100 miles each way = 360 km , total trip.

Lets look at Tesla Bjorns Sunday drive as minimum consumption reference :

i4 40 18 inch 245/255 summer tires - optimal temperature 15 - 20 degree celsius.
Started and ended at 90 meters multiple mountain passes up to 1370 meters.

Range 670 km - I believe probably possible to reach 700 before car would stop (18 km after zero)

So driving slowly in summer in a i4 40 - it should be possible to do the trip nearly two times in one charge.

Tesla Bjorns Geilo Test :
I4M50 19 inch 245/255 - Pirelli winter.
Start and final target Oslo 90 meters above sea level. - temperature at freezing point 0 Celsius.
Geilo 745 Meters minus 10 degrees Celsius.
Trip includes several small passes (300 meters) and down to 4 meters above sea level.

From 90 meters - 745 meters, started with preheated car, wet and snow :
Consumption 2.47 - range 320 km

Return - started with cold car - it was -10 when he arrived, day before - it might have been a little bit warmer when he departed, but could also have been colder during the night.

Consumption 2.27 - range 350 km

The total/average range 340 km.

He also did 90 km and 120 km in the same car/tires - wet roads, 0 degrees.

90 km : consumption 2.08 - range 400km
120 km : consumption 2.79 - range 290km. He also estimated consumption to be 2.50 on dry roads

So one interesting question is what kind of speed will you be driving,temperature, road conditions, and what kind of tires ?
It could be an argument for a eDrive 40 but that is probably not an alternative.
I think I would look into the possibility of standard i4M50 Norway/Finland Winter tyres : 18 inch 245/245.
With that , moderate speed, and partly dry roads - with temperatures between 0 and 10 below - it should be possible.

But I would look into the possibility to stop at a fast charger when arriving. 5 - 10 minutes should be good.

Preheating car consumes up to 11 kw, but down to 2 kw after a short time - so something like 8 kw for 30 minutes
- loosing 5% range. So I would be quite focused on preheating the car before departing home.

I think I actually would set the charger to finish charging at departure - then it uses the charging temperature for conditioning the battery.

All numbers from this videos - that I think is quite good, with lots of observations about the i4.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Interesting lets do some calculations.
I have to do it Metric :

Your trip height difference :
2900 meters
- 1645 meters
= 1255 meters diff.

Distance :
100 miles each way = 360 km , total trip.

Lets look at Tesla Bjorns Sunday drive as minimum consumption reference :

i4 40 18 inch 245/255 summer tires - optimal temperature 15 - 20 degree celsius.
Started and ended at 90 meters multiple mountain passes up to 1370 meters.

Range 670 km - I believe probably possible to reach 700 before car would stop (18 km after zero)

So driving slowly in summer in a i4 40 - it should be possible to do the trip nearly two times in one charge.

Tesla Bjorns Geilo Test :
I4M50 19 inch 245/255 - Pirelli winter.
Start and final target Oslo 90 meters above sea level. - temperature at freezing point 0 Celsius.
Geilo 745 Meters minus 10 degrees Celsius.
Trip includes several small passes (300 meters) and down to 4 meters above sea level.

From 90 meters - 745 meters, started with preheated car, wet and snow :
Consumption 2.47 - range 320 km

Return - started with cold car - it was -10 when he arrived, day before - it might have been a little bit warmer when he departed, but could also have been colder during the night.

Consumption 2.27 - range 350 km

The total/average range 340 km.

He also did 90 km and 120 km in the same car/tires - wet roads, 0 degrees.

90 km : consumption 2.08 - range 400km
120 km : consumption 2.79 - range 290km. He also estimated consumption to be 2.50 on dry roads

So one interesting question is what kind of speed will you be driving,temperature, road conditions, and what kind of tires ?
It could be an argument for a eDrive 40 but that is probably not an alternative.
I think I would look into the possibility of standard i4M50 Norway/Finland Winter tyres : 18 inch 245/245.
With that , moderate speed, and partly dry roads - with temperatures between 0 and 10 below - it should be possible.

But I would look into the possibility to stop at a fast charger when arriving. 5 - 10 minutes should be good.

Preheating car consumes up to 11 kw, but down to 2 kw after a short time - so something like 8 kw for 30 minutes
- loosing 5% range. So I would be quite focused on preheating the car before departing home.

I think I actually would set the charger to finish charging at departure - then it uses the charging temperature for conditioning the battery.

All numbers from this videos - that I think is quite good, with lots of observations about the i4.

Thank you! Excellent help! I’ll definitely charge before departure and great point about conditioning coming from charging.

My winter tires will be very much like those. Roads will range from dry to ice (all in one trip, typically!). But those numbers give me hope I can make it all the way there with more than enough to either get home or charge a few minutes before departing. Thank you very much!

61 - 78 of 78 Posts