BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the M50 does not have side badging on the build (at least here in the US)- however in a lot of videos and pictures I see the m badge on the side.

Anyone have any ideas if this just a glitch or a regional thing?

·
892 Posts
That is also a weird thing.
When I ordered my M50, there were 2 (free) options:
  • delete the badges in the back (i4 + M50)
  • delete the badges on the sides (M50)
Now, these options have vanished from the list.
In other countries, deleting the badges in the back was only valid for the M50 badge. the i4 badge would stay on...
So again, a lot of confusing stuff.
BTW, the badge in the front (M-badge) cannot be removed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In other countries, deleting the badges in the back was only valid for the M50 badge. the i4 badge would stay on...

Ahhhhhh!!! So confusing lol

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I noticed the M50 does not have side badging on the build (at least here in the US)- however in a lot of videos and pictures I see the m badge on the side.

Anyone have any ideas if this just a glitch or a regional thing?
Very astute observation. Indeed, it shows on the side in the configurator pictures in Germany, Belgium, France, Norway, the UK, and even Canada, but not in the US configurator. However, I also note that all the configurators outside the US are built on the same architecture with the same basic pictures, whereas the US configurator is different. Furthermore, all the pictures on the BMWUSA website about the i4 shows the M50 without side badges as well. So it does look like a strategy of BMWUSA, also noting that the M-Sports seats are not available in the US, only the "standard" Sports seats. Possibly to keep the differentiation with the M<single digits> that do have a side M badge but inside the air vent assembly, that is positioned higher than the lower side air vent of the M4. The M Performance models do not have a side M badge either.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't think any of the M performance cars get the side badges in the US. My m340 and the wife's m550 are missing them. I think it's a regional thing. We also can't option the M seats.. which upsets me.

·
892 Posts
About these seats, I have a feeling that car seats need to be certified. I was just reading a webpage about tuning your car, or in other words, changing parts of your car.
The website says that in case you have non-original seats, your car needs a new certificate or validation form. So maybe is BMW having problems in the US getting the M-sport seats certified.
Wouldn't that be a valid explanation of why you can't order these M-Sport Seats? If that's the case then I'm sure it'll all become OK any time soon...

·
892 Posts
I don't think it's a certification problem. Aren't the seats in the M4?

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk
Maybe you're right. But that doesn't mean the seats are certified for the i4as well, even though they're the same in the M3 (or M4). It's just a thought. There must be some reason why the US can't have them in the i4. I know for sure that if it's a commercial thing, they make a big mistake. And they're not that stupid...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have chosen the "no badges" option and they confirmed me the I4 will be left on .. they will remove it anyways before it gets delivered as it's glued to the car. Not sure if it will look better without the badges on the rear, but we'll see. (i can always write M50 with a sharpie on it if I change my mind)

·
Registered
820 Posts
By the way, the last option in the previous picture is the Aluminum trim around the windows.

I asked it like 3-4 times before, but now we have ...994 members:
Am I the only one who is considering the aluminum trim in an e40?

:cry: Yeah, we discussed it. It is old school. Tesla cut it, and M50 doesn't even have the option. Also the facelift of the iX3 cut it too.
But I always considered it. Especially with the black or any other dark color.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maybe you're right. But that doesn't mean the seats are certified for the i4as well, even though they're the same in the M3 (or M4). It's just a thought. There must be some reason why the US can't have them in the i4. I know for sure that if it's a commercial thing, they make a big mistake. And they're not that stupid...
The US configurator for the i4 mirrors the M440.
We also don't get the leather dash and piano black interior trim.

It's marketing and and a decision by someone in an office and is not a certification issue.

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

·
892 Posts
Well, in any case, the US and CA are indeed disadvantaged in this regard...
I actually feel sorry for you guys. This makes me sad and mad at the same time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I’ll be adding the M badges myself. I see they sell them on Amazon but I have no idea how to install them. If anybody has any tips…haha.
Good ole Glue?! Strong double-sided tape?!

·
892 Posts
I would certainly not do it with glue. If it ever comes off, what whatever reason, it might ruin the paint. Double-sided tape is what I would use.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts