BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi anyone any pics or vids showing M Technical brake and caliper differences vs standard M brakes? I believe the diff is that with the tech upgrades they are bigger but the configurator doesnt show anything. Just interested to know what a big diff it actually is.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good question. It says both versions are '4 piston fixed' in front and 'single piston floating' (which is quite inferior) rear. So I am thinking it's just a coat of red paint.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question. It says both versions are '4 piston fixed' in front and 'single piston floating' (which is quite inferior) rear. So I am thinking it's just a coat of red paint.
I think there are 2 things - when taking the M brakes (which come standard in blue on the M50) you can choose an option to have them in red, but there is also a pack called Technical M that - besides 19” rims and sporttires, also seems to bring modifications to some cooling parts and also promisses bigger brake discs. I believe I read somewhere that the brake discs are about an inch or so bigger that standard M Brakes, which would mean you need bigger calipers (also with 4 pistons) to fit onto it, no? Anyway - one of those mystery shopper items I guess and would love to see it in real.

·
Registered
155 Posts
So there seems to be some sort of increased cooling with the ‘technology’ option, probably related to some slats or flaps in inside the side intake from the grill. Wouldn’t expect any physical differences in the brake itself.

I’ve seen the blue brakes myself, they are huge and look like plenty to me! Muuch bigger than those on my 5 series. In addition there is a huge regenerative braking component, so I’m sure it’s stop nicely.

·
Registered
302 Posts
BTW in the carwow review of the iX, still has the weird braking sound that you hear in many EVs including the iX3, when driving in low speeds.
I hope the breaks in the i4 normal or M that won't making the sound that Matt described as "running over a family of mice"!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I wonder... That sound is really the breaks or something else (related obviously)?
Perhaps something motor related?
I mean we know (!?) that when you press the break pedal most if not all the EVs will make the motor creating resistance and then, if it is needed, will apply the brakes.

I'm saying this because it seems to happen in low speeds, so might not actually be the breaks but the motor, or something that, links those two.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Also, why the normal M (blue/red) brakes vs. (non-M) brakes have ...3 Km less range?
(and how on Earth they calculated that!)
(maybe you lose some recuperation?)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some configurators are very precise on this, our local site says that M technical package adds bigger brake discs (front axle only) that better tolerate high temperature. No other changes for i4.

Non-electric 4-series gets added cooling as well.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Also, why the normal M (blue/red) brakes vs. (non-M) brakes have ...3 Km less range?
That's a very good question.

Just saw the carwow review of the Q4. It has a even worse sound when breaking.

At 13:12

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
176 Posts
adding
M Sport Seats decreases 1km
HK sound system decreases 1km
Sunroof decreases 3km

I would suppose it's weight related...

·
Registered
302 Posts
And of course the rear spoiler decreases 12 Km.

They did very precise calculations (I don't know if there are actual measurements involved)

Now we have to look with what passenger weight and cargo they calculated the range. I guess it's in the WLTP standard.

Imagine the car to be telling you:
"You ate 2 souvlakia....minus 1.6 km in range".
"You went pee in the bushes...plus 453 meters! "

·
Registered
176 Posts
Also be aware that the m tech pack also adds performance tyres on 19” 861 wheels, which takes a fair amount range

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think that in real conditions, all these small losses are negligible.
On a daily basis you will probably have more than 100 km reserve by charging every night
For long trips, the impact of a few kilometers will not change the frequency of visits to the chargers

Have fun with the options, they are there for that!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think that in real conditions, all these small losses are negligible.
On a daily basis you will probably have more than 100 km reserve by charging every night
For long trips, the impact of a few kilometers will not change the frequency of visits to the chargers

Have fun with the options, they are there for that!
Totally agree, and let’s not forget that there’s airplanes and rental cars everywhere for long trips as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts