BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an email from BMW touting the range of the M50 as 270 miles (up 25 miles from the 245 stated previously) and 301 for the eDrive40. Perhaps if we drive more judiciously, we'll see 300 out of the car :cool::D. Not bad for a car that does 0-60 in 3.7. The numbers have been changed on the BMWUSA website.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
437 Posts
I mentioned that in another thread when discussing that the website is now showing range for every wheel size.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just got an email from BMW touting the range of the M50 as 270 miles (up 25 miles from the 245 stated previously) and 301 for the eDrive40. Perhaps if we drive more judiciously, we'll see 300 out of the car :cool::D. Not bad for a car that does 0-60 in 3.7. The numbers have been changed on the BMWUSA website.
Is that the official EPA range or still estimated EPA ?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is that the official EPA range or still estimated EPA ?
I received the same email from BMW that announced the range and next to the rating is an asterisk that points to this:
*Estimated ranges are independently verified by the EPA and are attainable when fully charged under ideal driving conditions. Actual range will vary depending on multiple factors including but not limited to: vehicle model, tire and wheel selection, driving style, traffic conditions, and outside temperatures.​
So good to see the EPA had a hand in it (as usual)

The email:
Go the distance with the BMW i4 and its confirmed range of up to 301 miles.* Whether commuting to work, going for a Sunday drive, or traveling, you’ll know you’ll be doing it with confidence.

HOW BMW CHARGING GOES THE DISTANCE

Charging the BMW i4 is seamless. With the Flexible Fast Charger (included) or Wallbox, plugging in at home overnight means you can start each morning with a full charge. Living in an apartment or taking a long trip? Worry not. The i4 can add up to 90 miles in just 10 minutes, or up to 80% of a full charge in 40 minutes.

·
Registered
2020 Tesla Model 3 SR+
25 Posts
I’m surprised that the M50 got a bump of 25-30 miles and the e40 only got 1. Feels like we‘re being steered to the M50…

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interestingly, there is only a 12 mile difference in range between an eDrive40 with the 19-inch wheels and an M50 with 19-inch wheels. This is mainly due to the extra weight of the M50 which has the front motor.

·
Registered
2020 Tesla Model 3 SR+
25 Posts
This is what’s sitting with me…is it the case that we’re only talking about a 19 mile difference if you spec the M50 in a certain way? Part of me wants to believe that, and the other part says the e40 can do much better than 301….

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm a bit surprised by the 301 on the e40, especially considering it's rated for 365 in WLTP, even beating the Model 3 Long Range at 360 in WLTP. Not sure how it worked out that way.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The EPA tests using a dynamometer, and a fixed speed-to-time curve for both its city and highway tests, all inside at controlled temperature, and with maximum speed of 60mph with no aero drag, and accelerations in the order of 0-60mph in 50 seconds!!! Details here: https://cleantechnica.com/2020/08/18/how-does-epa-calculate-electric-car-range/. So whether it's an e40 capable of 5.7 seconds or an m50 capable of 3.7 seconds really does not matter, the only difference is the slightly higher rolling resistance due to the additional weight on the front wheels. So it does make sense that there is a much bigger difference between an M50 with 20in wheels and the same M50 with 19in wheels (270 - 227 = 43 miles) or the e40 with 19in wheels and the same e40 with 18in wheels (301 - 282 = 19 miles) than the M50 with 19in wheels and the e40 with 19in wheels (282 - 270 = 12 miles). The size of the wheels makes a bigger difference than AWD 536hp vs. RWD 335hp.
I'm so happy with my choice of an M50 with 19in wheels!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The EPA tests using a dynamometer, and a fixed speed-to-time curve for both its city and highway tests, all inside at controlled temperature, and with maximum speed of 60mph with no aero drag, and accelerations in the order of 0-60mph in 50 seconds!!! Details here: https://cleantechnica.com/2020/08/18/how-does-epa-calculate-electric-car-range/. So whether it's an e40 capable of 5.7 seconds or an m50 capable of 3.7 seconds really does not matter, the only difference is the slightly higher rolling resistance due to the additional weight on the front wheels. So it does make sense that there is a much bigger difference between an M50 with 20in wheels and the same M50 with 19in wheels (270 - 227 = 43 miles) or the e40 with 19in wheels and the same e40 with 18in wheels (301 - 282 = 19 miles) than the M50 with 19in wheels and the e40 with 19in wheels (282 - 270 = 12 miles). The size of the wheels makes a bigger difference than AWD 536hp vs. RWD 335hp.
I'm so happy with my choice of an M50 with 19in wheels!
Honestly kind of wishing I went with the M50 now too, but probably too late to place a new order. Guess I'll have to stick to my plan of using the e40 as a daily driver and buying a separate "fun" car down the line.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
437 Posts
This is what’s sitting with me…is it the case that we’re only talking about a 19 mile difference if you spec the M50 in a certain way? Part of me wants to believe that, and the other part says the e40 can do much better than 301….
That’s my thinking. I don’t buy there was such a large increase in the 50 and 1 mile in the 40. It doesn’t add up. When you look at other EVs where there’s a RWD & AWD option, the differences are always significant, even with the same wheel sizes. I’ll bet when the real world results are in, the differences will be significant.

·
Registered
206 Posts
When driven equally slow, side by side slow accelaration, same cruise speed etc like in the WLTP tests, the M50 uses about 15% more electricity.
In the real world, were you will want to use the power of the M50, because lets be honest who wouldn't, you will need to feed those extra horsies.
Many factors will play a role (even the small spoiler on the boot is an increase of 0.5kWh/100km) but my guess is consumption of the M50 driven daily will be atleast 30-40% higher for new owners and around 20-25% once they have the car for a couple of months.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
When driven equally slow, side by side slow accelaration, same cruise speed etc like in the WLTP tests, the M50 uses about 15% more electricity.
In the real world, were you will want to use the power of the M50, because lets be honest who wouldn't, you will need to feed those extra horsies.
Many factors will play a role (even the small spoiler on the boot is an increase of 0.5kWh/100km) but my guess is consumption of the M50 driven daily will be atleast 30-40% higher for new owners and around 20-25% once they have the car for a couple of months.
Using the German and the US configurators, here is how the range is shown depending on the tire size. Compared to the maximum WLTP range of 590 with the 17in wheels, with the eDrive40, you lose 2% of range when you pick the 18in or 19in wheels and 7% with the 20 in wheels. The M50 is 13% less efficient than that with the 18in or 19in but no "Sport tires" ("Sportreifen" in German), 20% with Sport tires, and 17% less efficient with 20in wheels no Sport tires, 27% with Sport Tires. On the EPA cycles, the maximum range is 310 miles with the eDrive40 with 18in wheels, you lose 6% by going to 19in wheels (17 or 20in wheels not offered), the M50 is 10% less efficient than the maximum with 19in wheels and 25% less with 20in wheels.
Font Material property Parallel Number Pattern

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
...and for those to whom the range is the most important factor, Wikipedia shows a future eDrive35 variant using only the weaker rear motor of the M50 that should have an even longer range but still offer decent performance!

·
Registered
2019 BMW M4cs
126 Posts
I did a comparison on bimmerpost regarding kW needed between both eDrive40 and M50 at 60mph using DIN weight

edrive40
4519lbs
.24 cd
7.185 sq/ft frontal area (took this from an M440i)

at 60mph, it takes 11.94hp to power the car

M50
4883lbs
.25cd
7.185 sq/ft frontal area

at 60mph, it takes 12.81hp to power the car

The difference is .87hp to maintain a speed at 60mph, or .649kw. This is assuming that both are equipped with the same wheel/tires. I'm sure there is some loss efficiency in the drivetrain between M50 drive modes (when its in RWD or AWD mode depending on selected drive modes), but the otherside of the equation is that a car needs "x" to maintain a speed no matter how it's divided between the two motors.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts