BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very fortunately I had the chance of a 20 minute blast in an M50 this afternoon. Black with red leather interior. Fantastic acceleration truly blisteringly fast. Very solid build, rarely do you feel the cars weight, comfortable ride on 19” rims. Car felt compact and nimble. Outstanding vehicle and great quality build all round. I would say you don need the speed of an M50 day to day and E40 might be the sweet spot but specced with all the Msport and tech stuff if you can run to it. If you’re sitting on the fence wondering if something better is coming along in a minute or wondering if an ICE platform can be as good as a BEV one - don’t hesitate, the i4 is brilliant.
BTW red Tocara interior is way darker than on the configurator, all the better for that and looked stunning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very fortunately I had the chance of a 20 minute blast in an M50 this afternoon. Black with red leather interior. Fantastic acceleration truly blisteringly fast. Very solid build, rarely do you feel the cars weight, comfortable ride on 19” rims. Car felt compact and nimble. Outstanding vehicle and great quality build all round. I would say you don need the speed of an M50 day to day and E40 might be the sweet spot but specced with all the Msport and tech stuff if you can run to it. If you’re sitting on the fence wondering if something better is coming along in a minute or wondering if an ICE platform can be as good as a BEV one - don’t hesitate, the i4 is brilliant.
BTW red Tocara interior is way darker than on the configurator, all the better for that and looked stunning.
That wasn’t in Edinburgh by any chance was it? Same spec there if not - I was surprised by the red too - i was expecting to be like the red I had in my 2013 3 series but you are right its much darker and less in your face

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That wasn’t in Edinburgh by any chance was it? Same spec there if not - I was surprised by the red too - i was expecting to be like the red I had in my 2013 3 series but you are right its much darker and less in your face
No it was the opposite end of the country in Kent ! Since seeing that car I have had to change my idea on spec. I definitely want to include the red interior (after all it's the interior that you see the most). It's a great colour, I always favour a contrast inside a car and I'm not certain on the Oyster colour. I always think a black interior makes any luxury car just look like, well, a Toyota or KIA. I know this is not necessarily a popular view but to each their own. Anyway current favoured colours are Brooklyn Grey (very light grey or greyish white) with Tocara (red) leather interior, sounds good to me !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Chas1 This is such a positive review, it's restored my faith :) I'm now looking forward to my test drive even more
@Chas1 This is such a positive review, it's restored my faith :) I'm now looking forward to my test drive even more
I had an early i3 for 3.5 years so am not afraid of an eEV. It was only a short blast so didn’t have time to play with the idrive system. The regen was switched to light setting which definitely worked well and preferable to the town car set up on the i3 when I longed for the ability to coast. The i4 is on a different level to the i3. I have also had an extensive test in a Taycan which was great but it’s a very wide , long and you sit very low. The ride quality in the Taycan is truly amazing but I think on balance the i4 suits me better. 4ins narrower, tow bar for bikes or small trailer, better range in e40 guise. Ok the ride isn’t as good in the i4 but it’s still very good and I preferred the slightly higher upright seating position, the nimbleness (in a two ton+ car !!) and width of the car. Please Let me know what you think after your test drive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No it was the opposite end of the country in Kent ! Since seeing that car I have had to change my idea on spec. I definitely want to include the red interior (after all it's the interior that you see the most). It's a great colour, I always favour a contrast inside a car and I'm not certain on the Oyster colour. I always think a black interior makes any luxury car just look like, well, a Toyota or KIA. I know this is not necessarily a popular view but to each their own. Anyway current favoured colours are Brooklyn Grey (very light grey or greyish white) with Tocara (red) leather interior, sounds good to me !

Must be the same spec demos!! I totally agree on the interior. I had a 330e in portimao with cognac - for this i want to be different so was looking at green with oyster - i looked at a 5 series with that interior and it looked great. BWM leather is very poor for taking colour from jeans and wearing on bolsters so it might look shabby after 3 years! Cognac for some reason you need the M sport seats for another £800!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Must be the same spec demos!! I totally agree on the interior. I had a 330e in portimao with cognac - for this i want to be different so was looking at green with oyster - i looked at a 5 series with that interior and it looked great. BWM leather is very poor for taking colour from jeans and wearing on bolsters so it might look shabby after 3 years! Cognac for some reason you need the M sport seats for another £800!
I originally specced San Remo with oyster so that’s very interesting info regarding marking up of BMW leather. However not sure I can get a way with green with red interior hence the change of exterior colour to Brooklyn Grey. There’s no option for cognac leather on the e40 only on the M50

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
367 Posts
After using the linked product below, I no longer have any fears of a light interior. My wife has a new Sonata Hybrid Limited with an oyster interior and the inevitable blue jeans dye that transfers off on the seat comes right up with this product. I've been using it for the last 2 years and it's been just great:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Barrett’s BMW by any chance? They have a clip of a Sapphire Black w/Red interior on their Twitter acc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts