BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
M50 San Remo Green Fiona Red/Black Extended Merino
277 Posts
..... Not my straight6 e46.... 🤬🤬😡 😂

Ill take the new one aswell. 😄

The interiors made such a huge leap with digitalization the last 5 years..
In 2016 i had a LCI F11 Wagon from Sixt in Germany on a 8000km roadtrip around Europe. At the time the interior felt very high tech and fancy.
Then i got the G30 for myself in 2018. When i got into my friends F10 LCI the same year it felt so old.. 😂 And now we there is a completly new system and big screens with idrive8 that will be waay different from my fully digital/round dials in the G30. I did not try the LCI/G20 layout yet, so i will be skipping that part of idrive7.. 😄

Some bad feedback from reviews on idtive8, but really i think the system will be super when you personalize and get the tiles where you want them. It seems more complicated, but also more open. When you first look at it, i think its like looking at some random persons smartphone. You need to set it up for yourself to get comfortable with where you have stuff, and what you have installed.. 😁

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks for those pictures, Hans! I have to say, I think the new one looks better in every single way.
From the side it looks more 'planted' and streamlined, like a sports car rather than a sedan.
From the front left I think they both look very good.
The rear shape has improved dramatically, the blacked out diffuser area and the new lights are actually really great changes.In addtion, the whole stance of it, wider and lower, makes it look much more menacing.
The interior also looks more clean and purposeful.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The big grill trend has grown on me the moment I saw the i4 (with a number plate on).
No matter what we say and what flaws we find, it is a great looking car.

The last few days I even like the iX better. At least the exterior. The interior not so much, yet (?).

·
Registered
BMW's i4 M50, 640 F13, X3 G01
390 Posts
Drivetrain aside, the outside is more an evolution, grill being the highlight element. Normal grills feel small and old now in comparison, same as happened with Audi.

inside I would highlight the handbrake. I honestly don’t understand how bmw drag the manual handbrake for so long, in particular in this car class.
The 2005 B6 VW Passat already had an electric parking brake. This was actually the main reason why in 2016 I didn’t consider a 420d GC and went for an Audi A4.

The 3/4 F series urgently needed an interior refresh. Now the i4 surpasses all BMW’s with id8!

·
Registered
390 Posts
The big grill trend has grown on me the moment I saw the i4 (with a number plate on).
No matter what we say and what flaws we find, it is a great looking car.

The last few days I even like the iX better. At least the exterior. The interior not so much, yet (?).
Same here. With all those online reviews, actually the slim headlights and tail lights start to look good! Specially in white the car is attractive.
Interior same opinion! The wheel form and lack of center console reminds more a Renault Espace type car than a BMW. It lacks BMW DNA inside.

·
Registered
286 Posts
To be honest, I wouldn't mind driving my old one a little bit longer. It has been a real good car so far.

With the i40 I am excited about the electric drivetrain and some of the gadgets like HUD and comfort entry. I also like the new front and the overall changes of the exterior.

But maybe I am too old and grumpy for other things. I am still sceptical whether the big screens and digital instruments will really be an improvement, the old cockpit was almost perfect. And I will stay away from everything self driving, did not include any driving assistance. I have a hard time already when being co-driver with someone else.

·
Registered
372 Posts
To be honest, I wouldn't mind driving my old one a little bit longer. It has been a real good car so far.

With the i40 I am excited about the electric drivetrain and some of the gadgets like HUD and comfort entry. I also like the new front and the overall changes of the exterior.

But maybe I am too old and grumpy for other things. I am still sceptical whether the big screens and digital instruments will really be an improvement, the old cockpit was almost perfect. And I will stay away from everything self driving, did not include any driving assistance. I have a hard time already when being co-driver with someone else.
I’m not very old, and I think the classic analog bmw dash is perfection and question the need for everything to feel so digital and abstract only because it’s an EV. Electric motors date back over 100 years after all. But when you don’t need a tach and fuel gauge I guess it’s okay to do some changes. Some simple navigation things in the dash between the gauges were a healthy change.
BMW talks about “shy tech” in their videos, that it’s supposed to be invisible, but having huge screens and taking over the driving is definitely isn’t something I would want. So I didn’t spec the drivers assistance. The reason why the screens are out in the open compared to being integrated I’m assuming has to do with the screen quality of today. They are brighter and has a better resolution and viewing angle than when they were buried deep into the dash.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And I will stay away from everything self driving, did not include any driving assistance. I have a hard time already when being co-driver with someone else.
I understand where you are coming from. Same for me, I get really bad tempered as a co driver and I consider my self an old fashioned petrol head. Nothing like some nice twirling roads, a very sporty and entertaining car, and me behind the steering wheel. Life can be so beautiful.

But then again I must be honest to myself. I do realise that all this equipment (my phone, people calling or messaging, navigating, virtual buttons, looking for charging stations, finding the best piece of music etc) and current trafic (crowded roads, high speed differences, trafic jams coming out of nowhere, emergency stops, pedestrians, bycicles, children) do not always go well together. Have you ever found yourself going over the white line while focussing on the real time trafic information and deciding on the best route home? I have.

That's the reason I ordered every option available to assist me. Just for safety reasons. Not because I do not prefer to drive myself. But because I know that nowadays it's so easy to get distracted, even for a split second. So I will take full control when driving up and down the curly roads of the Ardennes or the Alps. And I will activate all assistence available in busy trafic or while checking my navigation for the next supercharger.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. Same for me, I get really bad tempered as a co driver and I consider my self an old fashioned petrol head. Nothing like some nice twirling roads, a very sporty and entertaining car, and me behind the steering wheel. Life can be so beautiful.

But then again I must be honest to myself. I do realise that all this equipment (my phone, people calling or messaging, navigating, virtual buttons, looking for charging stations, finding the best piece of music etc) and current trafic (crowded roads, high speed differences, trafic jams coming out of nowhere, emergency stops, pedestrians, bycicles, children) do not always go well together. Have you ever found yourself going over the white line while focussing on the real time trafic information and deciding on the best route home? I have.

That's the reason I ordered every option available to assist me. Just for safety reasons. Not because I do not prefer to drive myself. But because I know that nowadays it's so easy to get distracted, even for a split second. So I will take full control when driving up and down the curly roads of the Ardennes or the Alps. And I will activate all assistence available in busy trafic or while checking my navigation for the next supercharger.
That is a very reasonable view. But every new system comes with its own distractions and limits. So I try to use them only for assistance and not as an only means. Let's take park distance control for example. It's a tremendous help, but I still feel the need to check the terrain with my own eyes instead of relying fully on the sensors.

And I do feel very uncomfortable when my car moves without me controlling it tightly, that's a personal thing 🙄

·
Registered
390 Posts
After watching the original x5 designer Frank Stephenson commenting on the new 4 series coupe design I tend to agree that the old generation Hofmeister kink and crossing line in the doors gave a more sporty look to the car

They could have made something interesting with the new handles and the old line as well.

Car Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle

You gain something and lose others in the process.

here’s his review where he mainly focus on differences from the old generations

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts
Like @J78 , i like the old rendition of the Hofmeister kink better. Otherwise I'm all for the new model. And like @Hans, after trying the driver assistance in a traffic jam and on boring US highways limited to 70 mph (113 km/h I think), now I reserve "personal driving" to nice backroads, when I'm in traffic or Interstate full of American left lane hoarders doing the speed.limit and smug in their "law abiding behaviours", I just set Active cruise control (on my Audi, waiting impatiently to go back to BMW with the i4) in the right lane and let the car do its thing, it's much more patient than I am.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.