BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Tesla MY LR, 2017 Volt
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that this worked for those with orders for the 50M. As someone who prefers the 40e but would also like active cruise control (aka ACC) I'm wondering if others who want a 40e would be interested in doing the same. Thoughts?

·
Registered
'21 Tesla MY LR, 2017 Volt
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is an edited version of an email that a 50M customer posted asking BMW to put the ACC (part of DAPP) back as an option. Note I've edited it to reflect that I'm still on the waitlist to put in an order.

Dear BMW USA,

I am an American who is on the waitlist to order the BMW i4 40e with the Driving Assistance Professional Package (that includes the important active cruise control, ACC). BMW has deleted that option for the 40e for 2023 earlier this month even though it had deleted it and then restored it for the i4 50M model.

ACC is becoming a standard feature which is available right now in much cheaper vehicles from other brands, and it is still being offered in Europe for the 2023 model. BMW USA customers expect the same treatment. Furthermore, the i4 is BMW’s first premium fully electric sedan. It needs to remain more differentiated from a technology standpoint and it would be quite odd if it didn’t come with DAPP. So I ask:
  • At least give us ACC
  • IF fulfilling DAPP 40w orders is difficult, please at least give us a compromise option (wait more, pay more for the feature, etc…)
Please satisfy your most electrified customer base. It will pay dividends. Thank you for your consideration.

For BMW i Related Questions
Contact our BMW i Concierge:

1-855-236-1025
[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess it's worth trying.

For some reason (presumably to persuade people to go for the $$$ markup on the M50) BMW has decided to treat the 2023 edrive 40 like a Victorian orphan. It still has adaptive suspension as an option, and apparently the HUD, but lacks parking/driving assist features that would make it more useful as a daily driver or family car.

So... it's a single-motor long-range car they want people to drive on a track? I don't really know what niche this car is supposed to fit.

Not like it'll hurt their feelings or their bank accounts if I don't take it without these features (I won't); someone else will. Companies don't really do "brand loyalty" anymore.

The other thing to keep in mind is that even though the M50 has these options on paper today, that doesn't mean it'll be built that way when the time comes. Expect options to disappear/reappear, and plan to nudge your dealer repeatedly to make sure your order gets built with the options you want. Also don't be surprised when BMW unilaterally deletes stuff from your order. They're swamped with orders and they can't be bothered to contact everyone to ask whether they're sure they want to wait for ___ or could they maybe live without it.

It seems that this worked for those with orders for the 50M. As someone who prefers the 40e but would also like active cruise control (aka ACC) I'm wondering if others who want a 40e would be interested in doing the same. Thoughts?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here is an edited version of an email that a 50M customer posted asking BMW to put the ACC (part of DAPP) back as an option. Note I've edited it to reflect that I'm still on the waitlist to put in an order.

Dear BMW USA,

I am an American who is on the waitlist to order the BMW i4 40e with the Driving Assistance Professional Package (that includes the important active cruise control, ACC). BMW has deleted that option for the 40e for 2023 earlier this month even though it had deleted it and then restored it for the i4 50M model.

ACC is becoming a standard feature which is available right now in much cheaper vehicles from other brands, and it is still being offered in Europe for the 2023 model. BMW USA customers expect the same treatment. Furthermore, the i4 is BMW’s first premium fully electric sedan. It needs to remain more differentiated from a technology standpoint and it would be quite odd if it didn’t come with DAPP. So I ask:
  • At least give us ACC
  • IF fulfilling DAPP 40w orders is difficult, please at least give us a compromise option (wait more, pay more for the feature, etc…)
Please satisfy your most electrified customer base. It will pay dividends. Thank you for your consideration.

For BMW i Related Questions
Contact our BMW i Concierge:

1-855-236-1025
[email protected]
I already did send another modified version to them last Friday. Told them that we didn’t buy the M50 because we didn’t need AWD and wanted more range, not because it was more expensive. We have picked more options already and are spending more than a base M50. The more we send the better.

·
Registered
615 Posts
don't send the letter, we need the parts for the M50s, if they add it to E40s there may not be enough components
Whose to say who matters more

Reactions: User27

·
Registered
5.0 V8 Range Rover, Smart Roadster
230 Posts
Sounds good to me. i was thinking of doing this too. Where should I send the message to for Europe?

·
Registered
‘22 i4 eDrive40 🍉
466 Posts
For some reason (presumably to persuade people to go for the $$$ markup on the M50) BMW has decided to treat the 2023 edrive 40 like a Victorian orphan.
Supply shortages demand choices. They will prioritize higher-priced models for these features, always. When touchscreens and HUDs were being deleted from 3/4/5-series orders, the 7 carried on with them.

It is just the way of things. And it will continue to change as parts availability changes. No one at BMW is happy about a reduction in revenue-generating options on ANY model, and even less happy about standard features having to be removed. You can't get the hands-free trunk release even on an M5 Competition right now. Not sure if the 7/8 series use a different sensor, but they're listing it as available there. But as frustrating as it is on an e40, imagine trying to explain it to someone who's taking delivery of their $116,000 sedan.

It'll clear up, with time. For those currently awaiting the start of production, there's still hope.

·
Registered
Ordered: i4 M50 Tanzanite II Metallic Blue/Cognac Interior. Garage: 2016 Audi S5
197 Posts
The other weak point in your argument is to look at the ICE versions. Even the current 2022 BMW configurator, I did not see an option for the DAPP or ACC in the 430. If you move up to the M440i which I understand is the equivalent of the M50 but in ICE, then you get all the same options as in the M50. The pricing guideline loaded somewhere here recently with all the models, shows the same thing for the 2023 models - you have to go to the highest trim to get even have the options available.

It looks like BMW is being consistent in the package offering across drive trains within model series. At least in the 4 series models. So your letter writing might not get much traction unless you get 430 buyers to chime in as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Today, even a $22k entry level Honda Civic ICE or $32k Chevy Bolt EV have active cruise control and lane keep assist as standard. That BMW wants to nickel and dime us and put these features as option is kind of expected. However, they are table stakes in todays automotive world. In 2 or 3 years after the supply chain is back to normal, who would want a car without these basic safety/convenience features?

I am willing to wait if it is what it takes to get DAP and PAP (and cognac vernasca) on the e40 as ordered in 2021. I can wait another year if it is what it takes. At the moment it look like the options will be to give BMW another $6-7k to upgrade to the M50 whose extra power, lower range and extra insurance $ i do not need, or to get a stripped down car and make sure to get rid of it quickly, before supply chain issues are solved, why bother with options for a short term car. With a bit of luck and (tax credits) should be able to get a nearly free "loaner" for a few months and have an extended test drive of a basic "free"white paint with vinyl seat e40 before i can place an order for a car i will want to keep but it may not be an i4 or even a BMW at that point.

·
Registered
i4 M50 Dravit Grey ordered 1/2022
235 Posts
Whose to say who matters more
at the end of the day all anyone on this forum cares about is

1. Getting the car sooner rather than later
2. Getting the options you want on said car
3 Getting the price you were told when you ordered
4. Getting a low interest rate that is reflective of your spotless credit

Let’s not kid ourselves on anything else

·
Registered
‘22 i4 eDrive40 🍉
466 Posts
I see better than this from members here every day; I don’t think your priority list represents anywhere close to everyone here.

·
Registered
i4 M50 Dravit Grey ordered 1/2022
235 Posts
I see better than this from members here every day; I don’t think your priority list represents anywhere close to everyone here.
Been on here since January and while yes there is much camaraderie surrounding the excitement and anticipation of the arrival of an amazing car I’ve seen some not so great behavior as well i.e attempts to sell a reservation spot to the highest bidder

·
Registered
615 Posts
While yeah that's the case right now, I'm sure it'll change once i4s are easy to obtain. Right now, there's nothing else to talk about other than what you listed. And the few other things there are to talk about, has been talked about by people who got the cars.

Reactions: BasedGlob

·
Registered
100 Posts
My sales manager said they are expecting more changes to the i4 ordering guides by the end of the month.
What else is there to change really and still call it a bmw? No radio, no ac, only 3 wheels? If they remove more options than this car will be marked with DOA and in couple of years from now nobody would like to buy this car used as it will be marked as gimped version.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts