BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
‘22 i4 eDrive40 🍉
439 Posts
What else is there to change really and still call it a bmw? No radio, no ac, only 3 wheels? If they remove more options than this car will be marked with DOA and in couple of years from now nobody would like to buy this car used as it will be marked as gimped version.
Please remember that the most recent change was to restore availability of DAP/PAP to the m50. As the supply chain changes, so do available options. And not every change is bad.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Please remember that the most recent change was to restore availability of DAP/PAP to the m50. As the supply chain changes, so do available options. And not every change is bad.
If they are not able to produce edrive40 to be anywhere near being decent (let alone advertised) than they should just remove it from sales.

Sorry but I havent heard any positive news from BMW for a long time. Only their incompetence (removing 360 camera for example. Tesla has 8 cameras and great bmw is strugling with 4?) I blame myself for not doing the due diligence and picked tesla 3 from the start. But to be fair there weren't any real world tests at the time so I believed that BMW (based on their reputation) did some great work with these car. Yet its much heavier, slower all around, worse consumption, worse charging speed, dinosaur tech, motor with brushes and no idea when they need to be replaced. I blame myself for not doing the proper research at the time.

·
Registered
‘22 i4 eDrive40 🍉
439 Posts
Tesla has 8 cameras and great bmw is strugling with 4?
This is such a tired trope.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
335i convertible, BMW K1600b mc
1,561 Posts
Great idea
But they did it for a reason and even initially took the DAPP off of the m50. Then they flip flopped and put DAPP on the m50. Imo , that tells me , they didn't think it through.

·
Registered
‘22 i4 eDrive40 🍉
439 Posts
Great idea
But they did it for a reason and even initially took the DAPP off of the m50. Then they flip flopped and put DAPP on the m50. Imo , that tells me , they didn't think it through.
How do you think they failed to "think through" a supplier shortage?

When your supplier for a part calls and says, "Hi folks, just calling to let you know we shipped 20% more to you than our previous estimate for this month's order!", you want them to not re-enable an option for that extra capacity?

The only thing worse than running out of parts is refusing to sell the parts you have.

Or do you want them to just leave the option as orderable, and then delay cars until the parts come in, and just hope that things get better? Other manufacturers seem to have done that. See above.

Personally I applaud their frequent revisions. The supply chain right now is a mess, and I don't envy those who have to manage these things. I can tell you from personal experience that procurement right now is a very stressful job in any industry, let alone anything using GPUs, older fab chips, or international shipping.

·
Registered
5.0 V8 Range Rover, Smart Roadster
213 Posts
I appreciate they have problems, but for those of us who ordered the eDrive40, why don't they allow us to postpone our builds, or "upgrade" to an M50? I don't particularly want an M50, but I'll make the switch if this gets me the features I specifically ordered.

BMW customer service is atrocious. You can't just say "this bit is unavailable, hard cheese" when people are spending north of £60k for a car. They have to provide solutions, or else customers are going to go elsewhere.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is such a tired trope.

View attachment 11034
Tesla is delaying orders, bmw is delaying and canceling parts & crippling the car. Major difference to me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I appreciate they have problems, but for those of us who ordered the eDrive40, why don't they allow us to postpone our builds, or "upgrade" to an M50? I don't particularly want an M50, but I'll make the switch if this gets me the features I specifically ordered.

BMW customer service is atrocious. You can't just say "this bit is unavailable, hard cheese" when people are spending north of £60k for a car. They have to provide solutions, or else customers are going to go elsewhere.
Exactly that. I would wait additional 6 months and receive proper bmw, not some crippled version that nobody will buy 2nd hand. Common this is not Renault Clio, this is premium brand with premium price. If eDrive40 is lesser car for them then stop selling it or be honest up front and say that e40 buyers are not worthy of your time.

·
Registered
215 Posts
There’s nothing stopping you guys from putting your order on hold, upgrading to an M50 or cancelling it until parts are available again.

I don’t get why so much whining. The supply chain situation is what it is. Comparing to other brands make no sense as each OEM has their own suppliers and their own issues. Obviously BMW won’t stop selling the eDrive40 as long as there is demand, even without DAPP and PAP. If the eDrive40 then does not meet your demands, face reality and either wait for changes or cancel the order.

BMW still operates with a dealer network as first touchpoint with customers. They have all the capacity of answering all of your questions and requesting any change possible to your order. If they don’t provide a good enough Service you should think about switching dealers.

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,789 Posts
There’s nothing stopping you guys from putting your order on hold, upgrading to an M50 or cancelling it until parts are available again.

I don’t get why so much whining. The supply chain situation is what it is. Comparing to other brands make no sense as each OEM has their own suppliers and their own issues. Obviously BMW won’t stop selling the eDrive40 as long as there is demand, even without DAPP and PAP. If the eDrive40 then does not meet your demands, face reality and either wait for changes or cancel the order.

BMW still operates with a dealer network as first touchpoint with customers. They have all the capacity of answering all of your questions and requesting any change possible to your order. If they don’t provide a good enough Service you should think about switching dealers.
I’d agree with some of this with the exception of the highlighted text. Not everyone considers the M50 an upgrade. I could certainly have afforded the M50, but chose the e40 instead. In fact I would have paid more for the e40. :)

With that said I certainly understand the frustration of those ordering the car that now has missing features.

·
Registered
100 Posts

What part is too difficult for you to understand? We asked bmw can you deliver car with specific spec? They said yes and we signed a contract. Then months have passed and other EVs price git significant price increase (Tesla 3 LR about 6k eur). And now bmw is saying “we are not going to provide what we agreed upon”. Not sure if you still follow but yea bmw is incompetent and is not as easy to go with other EV as this means that we would pay significantly more now. We are upset because bmw is now saying that eDrive40 is lesser car and contracts are not to be honored. If you have no problem with throwing money away than please do so, but don’t try to suggest others what to do with their money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My question is this: if BMW decides to sell the edrive40 without comparable tech to other EV’a currently available, will BMW offer the tech installation at dealers when the sensors and cameras become available?. If not and you lease, BMW will have a hard time finding new buyers for a 3 year old car with no tech. Other EV manufacturers will be far ahead by then.

·
Registered
335i convertible, BMW K1600b mc
1,561 Posts
How do you think they failed to "think through" a supplier shortage?

When your supplier for a part calls and says, "Hi folks, just calling to let you know we shipped 20% more to you than our previous estimate for this month's order!", you want them to not re-enable an option for that extra capacity?

The only thing worse than running out of parts is refusing to sell the parts you have.

Or do you want them to just leave the option as orderable, and then delay cars until the parts come in, and just hope that things get better? Other manufacturers seem to have done that. See above.

Personally I applaud their frequent revisions. The supply chain right now is a mess, and I don't envy those who have to manage these things. I can tell you from personal experience that procurement right now is a very stressful job in any industry, let alone anything using GPUs, older fab chips, or international shipping.
I guess, if you didn't already have your ordered i4_eDrive40 maybe you would look at it differently. Others who have posted after me, bring up other good points too.
But to go from build week 5, 12 , 18 to as of yesterday, from the salesman , " Honestly, I don't know when it's getting done, but prepare for it being a 23 model".

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
2,179 Posts
Again, it all depends on the country and the type of contract you have. I've said it before in another thread, and this subject has already been mentioned several times before:
The fact that you signed a contract with a refundable deposit is IMHO worthless. You can cancel your order anytime, and you will get your money back (it might take a while but you will).
At the same time, BMW also can do what they want, because the contract means nothing. They can change it the way they want. If you don't like it, you can cancel it, and you'll get your money back. That's the way they think.
In Europe on the other hand, most countries (not all of them) have different laws about contracts. Signing a contract is making a commitment. It's like getting married, you know, "till death do us parts?". You can divorce, but you'll probably lose some stuff...(maybe a bad analogy, but you know what I mean). Even an oral agreement is a contract, and is valid in court (more difficult to defend, but it's a contract)
You, as a customer cannot just break the contract unless your dealer says it's ok, I'll sell it to someone else, I won't lose money on it. BMW also can't just break the contract. They have to deliver the car the way it was agreed upon during the signing of the contract (in the assumption, that every option is clearly mentioned in the order). So, here, BMW is supposed to reimburse you for non-delivered options, or give you the chance to change/wait/cancel the order.
So, you see, I think, legally, you don't have anything to complain about. I support your complaint completely. I would also react that way
It's definitely worth trying. Just my 2c

Added: I think it's not BMW you have to "attack" with letters and complaints, it's your government and politicians who made these laws allowing such contracts.

·
Registered
‘22 i4 eDrive40 🍉
439 Posts
I guess, if you didn't already have your ordered i4_eDrive40 maybe you would look at it differently. Others who have posted after me, bring up other good points too.
But to go from build week 5, 12 , 18 to as of yesterday, from the salesman , " Honestly, I don't know when it's getting done, but prepare for it being a 23 model".
Heh! I have a professional life outside of which car I drive. Believe me when I say supply chain issues are something with which I deal every day, including shifting delivery deadlines.

My perspective on this is borne of that experience, not of privilege.

·
Registered
5.0 V8 Range Rover, Smart Roadster
213 Posts
Yes there is. My dealer won’t put the order on hold in case we’re waiting indefinitely. You can’t upgrade to an M50 because BMW isn’t even accepting 047 orders for those at the moment. And cancelling means heading straight back to the end of the queue, even if BMW is accepting orders - but I don’t know whether they are.

And we’re ‘whining’ because we just want the cars we ordered. Why should BMW put ‘our’ parts in M50s that aren’t even ordered yet? Why should we take the hit on resale value, just because BMW can’t get its act together?

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
2,179 Posts
Yes there is. My dealer won’t put the order on hold in case we’re waiting indefinitely. You can’t upgrade to an M50 because BMW isn’t even accepting 047 orders for those at the moment. And cancelling means heading straight back to the end of the queue, even if BMW is accepting orders - but I don’t know whether they are.

And we’re ‘whining’ because we just want the cars we ordered. Why should BMW put ‘our’ parts in M50s that aren’t even ordered yet? Why should we take the hit on resale value, just because BMW can’t get its act together?
Nobody says you can't complain and "whine"....I'm also whining...And you know what? I'm waiting since September 2020 for a new car... Not the i4 but an Audi that was canceled by Audi AG exactly one year after ordering it. And even though I ordered an M50 and I am supposed to be freed from this hassle, nobody knows what will happen between now and the end of November, my so-called delivery date...

But what your dealer says is totally unacceptable. If I were you I would take this to the level of BMW UK, at the least. They have to give you a solution for that. Find an email address of BMW UK and write them. Start with emails like " [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], "name of CEO at BMW UK"@..., "name of CFO at BMW UK"@..., things like that... (Names can probably be found on the internet)
Don't put all these email addresses in the same mail, write them individually! If they bounce, so be it, but nobody needs to know from each other that you wrote them an email...

But on the other hand, It is like I mentioned in post #34...

·
Registered
100 Posts

100% agreed with what you said.

There was a better way bmw could handle this. Simply honor signed contracts but remove this option for new orders. That way you keep current buyers and new ones know what they are getting. This is a solution that would be expected from premium brand. Instead they just pissed off curent eDrive40 buyers with their incompetence.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I took delivery of a Tesla Model Y 2 weeks ago and should take delivery of my i4 eDrive40 in July (expected at Port of Baltimore on May 26).

One of the worst features of the Tesla MY is the completely unusable Autopilot and Active Cruise Control. I thought it was great around the suburbs. After a handful of 150 mile expressway trips, I'm terrified to use it ever or autosteer. I think I'll also have to deactivate forward collision monitoring.

Phantom breaking is real. Swerving to avoid phantom collisions is also real. None of the promises by Musk are real.

A software update yesterday should solve the phantom accident avoidance, because the driver must now initiate any lane change.

Comparing the Model Y, instead of the Model 3, to the i4 is maybe a bit much, but it compares well in almost every way you would compare ICE cars, especially build quality.

If you have to have the 3 Model Y advantages I list below get the Tesla. If not, the i4 is a much safer and higher quality vehicle.

Don't even consider the Volvo CX40 Recharge unless most of your trips are under 100 miles, especially in less than ideal conditions. It comes nowhere close to it's rated range, even in ideal conditions.

Model Y advantages
1) Spacious (i4 cargo space, w/seats down is just a bit less than Tesla MY, however backseat space is far superior in the Model Y.
2) Best vehicle stereo I have ever heard...when HD audio source is used, every instrument is clearly discernable, also every note, every chord every intention of the artist. Just amazing.
3) Range, it does pretty well if driven 70mph or just in suburban mix of highway/city driving. Loses about 25-30% of stated 330 mile in 95° + wether while driving 80+mph and keeping cabin temp ~70-72.

The Tesla is an improvement over my wife's Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 AWD, so we may trade the Volvo and keep the Tesla. She uses none of those mythical Tesla Autopilot features, nor even simple Cruise Control, so all other features (except quality of seats and acceleration) are better on the Tesla vs the Volvo, especiallt that stereo.

·
Registered
'21 Tesla MY LR, 2017 Volt
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I have a 2021 Model Y AWD w/stock CC (includes ACC). I've only found its distance keeping to be helpful when in stop and go traffic on the freeway. In that instance(s) it's most helpful and stress relieving. I don't have any of the other nanny minders on.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts