BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're thinking of wrapping our M50 San Remo Green in Matte PPF. My girlfriend is only partly convinced and perhaps she's right but I really like the look of the matte finish. I have read that it is the gloss PPF that is in fact easier to maintain which I don't quite understand why. I'm also hoping that maybe with the matte finish on the green it might start looking a little more like an army vehicle and not so much like a rich person's car...Haha...maybe I'm just considering the wrong vehicle.

Also...Matte on metallic paint...what's that look like?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't know a thing about membranes other than that they exist!
I know that you can change the color (many youtube videos) and because of your post I read that there are also clear or matte transparent membranes that wont change the color, although they probably change the look and feel.

The good think obviously is the protection, but I read that the technician who will apply the membrane has to remove (and put back), bumpers, lanterns, handles, signals, antenna and anything else. And I'm not so sure that I want to put a new car in all that stress.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know a thing about membranes other than that they exist!
I know that you can change the color (many youtube videos) and because of your post I read that there are also clear or matte transparent membranes that wont change the color, although they probably change the look and feel.

The good think obviously is the protection, but I read that the technician who will apply the membrane has to remove (and put back), bumpers, lanterns, handles, signals, antenna and anything else. And I'm not so sure that I want to put a new car in all that stress.
Thank you Lord...haha, I feel like I'm in church. I really appreciate your point about the people apply the protection needing to remove and replace parts. Something I wasn't aware of. That said, this car will see a good deal of gravel so this is a must have for the most expensive car we will likely buy in our lifetimes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Currently i have a ceramic coating on my car and it works perfect for birds crap, mosquitos and sticky stuff from the road, it however doesn't work perfect for small stones etc (however it self-heals small scratches of coating itself that didn't penetrate to base paint)) when aiming for TM3LR i was 100% sure to wrap it (as the paint quality from Freemont is below any standards and is random. thing which guy was on the shift there)
for i4 i'm going for ceramics again hoping alpine white is the easiest to fix color :)

Reactions: Ultrachrome

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going with full XPEL Stealth (Satin/Matte PPF) - Sapphire Black.
Was there a specific reason you went with Xpel over other options? The place in our city that gets the best reviews offers 3M and that was what we were thinking of going for.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Was there a specific reason you went with Xpel over other options? The place in our city that gets the best reviews offers 3M and that was what we were thinking of going for.
I'm not sure 3M has the Satin/Matte PPF (what i needed) - might be the Scotchgard Pro from 3M - none the less - the best shop locally here (Doing Porsche's and Lambo's) are using XPEL Ultimate (Glossy) and XPEL Stealth (Satin/Matte) PPF. XPEL Stealth is harder to apply (requires knowledge) and more expensive but it gives the paint a very nice flakey look which is between Glossy and Matte (therefore Satin). The price in DK for a full body XPEL Stealth is DKK 40.000 (6K USD) - including a layer of ceramic coating. Usually takes 7-10 days to have it done properly.

Another PPF that i know is quite nice is the Ceramic Pro Kavaca PPF - if they have that in your area it might be worth looking at.

In general, for PPF, people tend to only do the front of the car (Lights, bumper and hood and eventually side mirrors).

BMW X5 with XPEL Stealth:
Lambo with XPEL Stealth:
XPEL Durabillity test:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure 3M has the Satin/Matte PPF (what i needed) - might be the Scotchgard Pro from 3M - none the less - the best shop locally here (Doing Porsche's and Lambo's) are using XPEL Ultimate (Glossy) and XPEL Stealth (Satin/Matte) PPF. XPEL Stealth is harder to apply (requires knowledge) and more expensive but it gives the paint a very nice flakey look which is between Glossy and Matte (therefore Satin). The price in DK for a full body XPEL Stealth is DKK 40.000 (6K USD) - including a layer of ceramic coating. Usually takes 7-10 days to have it done properly.

Another PPF that i know is quite nice is the Ceramic Pro Kavaca PPF - if they have that in your area it might be worth looking at.

In general, for PPF, people tend to only do the front of the car (Lights, bumper and hood and eventually side mirrors).

BMW X5 with XPEL Stealth:
Lambo with XPEL Stealth:
XPEL Durabillity test:
Thanks Wndh

I think with your videos you convinced me to go with Satin/stealth but I'll need to see what's on offer in my city. I know they said they can do either so I assume 3M has a satin too. I had mentioned Matte before but I was meaning Satin.

We did just the nose of our cars with the last three cars we bought but the i4 M50 being such a major expense for us, we want to protect it as much as we can. The guy pulling the hood behind his car was pretty convincing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The price in DK for a full body XPEL Stealth is DKK 40.000 (6K USD) - including a layer of ceramic coating. Usually takes 7-10 days to have it done p
Rather expensive. Comparable or maybe even higher than a full paint job I think.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rather expensive. Comparable or maybe even higher than a full paint job I think.
PPF protects your car from scratches with 10year warranty(usually) - with ceramic coating it will be quite easy to keep as well.

The alternative is to have a semi-scratched car until you have it re-painted ;).

Going for dark colors and Frozen colors will be quite hard to maintain. PPF makes this easier as well as protecting the paint when it is to be sold again.

Expensive yes - nice to have - yes ;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
You have to pay like 5.000€ (probably there are cheaper solutions, I will ask) and for 10 years every scratch or bird dropping you will have to go and leave the car for a day or two or more, and they will fix it for free (under guarantee)?

I see some pros but also many cons including the price.

[EDIT] I search for some Greek videos and prices
Here's one with annoying music.

A comment says 2000-3000 euros but it's before the pandemic old.

[EDIT 2]
In this video a pigeon seats on the roof of a car that has partially applied the PPF membrane and it leaves ...scratches with its claws!!

The guy who speaks says:
Let's see how ant-scratch the membrane is. Oh he left scratches. I hope/assume that might go away with the sun.
:poop:

P.S. I was looking for an opportunity to put a poop emoji!

·
Registered
26 Posts
You have to pay like 5.000€ (probably there are cheaper solutions, I will ask) and for 10 years every scratch or bird dropping you will have to go and leave the car for a day or two or more, and they will fix it for free (under guarantee)?

I see some pros but also many cons including the price.
You will obviously have to clean your own car upon bird drops ;) scratches are very limited with PPF.

The car will just stay cleaner, free from most scratches and you can as well get an entire new look not available from factory :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
You will obviously have to clean your own car upon bird drops ;) scratches are very limited with PPF.

The car will just stay cleaner, free from most scratches and you can as well get an entire new look not available from factory :)
I edited the post with a pigeon that scratches the membrane before their own eyes!

Yes, I don't disagree that membranes help, but I'm still considering the extra cost (is like I loose the governmental EV discount). I didn't yet found how many years guarantee they have hear, and the conditions that go with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I edited the post with a pigeon that scratches the membrane before their own eyes!

Yes, I don't disagree that membranes help, but I'm still considering the extra cost (is like I loose the governmental EV discount). I didn't yet found how many years guarantee they have hear, and the conditions that go with it.
Look at it the other way - you buy the car at regular price (as I also did here in Denmark) and the government gives you free paint protection.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Look at it the other way - you buy the car at regular price (as I also did here in Denmark) and the government gives you free paint protection.
Yes I thought of that, but I might prefer to buy ...4 iPhones 13 instead!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am also stuck going back and forth about this being worth it. If i was keeping the car for 10 years maybe, but i for sure wont get the money back for doing this when i sell the car within 5 years.

Doing the front end only here is 2000€. I did not do ppf on my current car and kinda regretted it once chips started showing up the first winter. I went to a paintshop and asked them how much they would take to repaint bumper/hood and they gave me a quote at 650€ + VAT a piece so about 1800€ for both parts. Thats less than the PPF would cost. But i would not make that back either.

I touched up the chips myself with a needle instead of the brush you get in the bottle from BMW.
Im in the process of selling the car now, and to my surprise the other G30s at my dealer didnt even have the chips fixed with the paintstick. On my bluestone metallic you can see 1 chip thats been touched up when standing directly infront of the car looking down on it. While the other cars there had between 5 and 15 non touched up chips very visible.. I have somewhere between 10 and 15 also, but they are close to gone. The car is over 3 years old, and if i wanted to i could paint it cheaper than the PPF, but it would not make me any money back at all.

To me full PPF is completly out of question as its just way to expensive for a car im not keeping for 10 years + anyway. PPF on Bumper / headlights only is what im considering atm, but i feel like anything above 800€ For that service is a ripoff. Full ceramic coating however i will be getting.

To me the math wont add up on the PPF prices. If it was a future collectible sure, for a daily driver no way. 😄😅

No way i would get any of my money back if i spent 2-5k€ on this 3 years ago.
Vehicle Grille Car White Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bookmarking this post... Really hoping for some good info.

I am actually going for the matte Frozen Portimao Blue and first thing I will do once the car is delivered is to get a layer of protection put on it.

There are videos such as this one
that says you can try ceremic on even matte finishes, not to mention gloss.

To someone like me who has never tried either PPF or ceremic, I've heard ceremic protection is cheaper. And to me the goal is to NOT alter the look and feel of the paint in any way while giving it adequate protection.... the reviews on the M50 that are coming out all have mouth watering Frozen Portimao Blue that I will not want to change the aesthetics of one single bit ! 😄

So to OP and others reading this post, will you be considering a ceremic application instead of PPF? What is the main reason of choosing one over the other?

Any advice especially on the way to protect matte/satin paint without changing the original look and feel too much would be really appreciated !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
So to OP and others reading this post, will you be considering a ceremic application instead of PPF? What is the main reason of choosing one over the other?

Any advice especially on the way to protect matte/satin paint without changing the original look and feel too much would be really appreciated !!
Ceramic coating does a really good job of protecting paint from UV rays and it makes removing dirt, bird poop, etc. really easy. Think of it as a harder, ceramic wax. It does not, however, do anything to protect against paint chips. PPF will protect against paint chips as you're covering the paint with a thick, durable film - similar to a wrap. PPF and ceramic have very different use cases....

You can certainly apply both PPF orceramic (or both!) to matte finishes like the Frozen Portimao Blue. It depends on what you're trying to protect the paint from.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bookmarking this post... Really hoping for some good info.

I am actually going for the matte Frozen Portimao Blue and first thing I will do once the car is delivered is to get a layer of protection put on it.

There are videos such as this one
that says you can try ceremic on even matte finishes, not to mention gloss.

To someone like me who has never tried either PPF or ceremic, I've heard ceremic protection is cheaper. And to me the goal is to NOT alter the look and feel of the paint in any way while giving it adequate protection.... the reviews on the M50 that are coming out all have mouth watering Frozen Portimao Blue that I will not want to change the aesthetics of one single bit ! 😄

Well, if you go for the basic Portimao Blue and add XPEL stealt or alike on it - it will transform to Frozen Portimao Blue with PPF bulit in :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts