BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Due to the way "frozen" paint works i would guess full PPF is the only safe bet. If it works to put clear film on it is a big question. If ceramic coating makes it glossy also not sure, maybe there is a special coating for the matte finish.

IF the metallic version with matte film installed makes it the same as the frozen it would probably be a better way to achieve the frozen look.?

You could save alot on the car prize and put it towards the full PPF install.

Where i live delivering the car to get a ceramic coating when new would be less than 1k€. Full PPF would be 4-5k€. Big money, but the frozen paint really needs some kind of protection since you cant fix it by convensional methods.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I currently have a Mercedes with their "Designo Magno Mountain Grey" colour which is matte and I have it ceramic coated. It's totally invisible and does not change the look of the paint at all. I do not have PPF though but am considering getting the front of it done when I take delivery of my M50 which I have ordered the Frozen paint on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Bookmarking this post... Really hoping for some good info.

I am actually going for the matte Frozen Portimao Blue and first thing I will do once the car is delivered is to get a layer of protection put on it.

There are videos such as this one
that says you can try ceremic on even matte finishes, not to mention gloss.

To someone like me who has never tried either PPF or ceremic, I've heard ceremic protection is cheaper. And to me the goal is to NOT alter the look and feel of the paint in any way while giving it adequate protection.... the reviews on the M50 that are coming out all have mouth watering Frozen Portimao Blue that I will not want to change the aesthetics of one single bit ! 😄

So to OP and others reading this post, will you be considering a ceremic application instead of PPF? What is the main reason of choosing one over the other?

Any advice especially on the way to protect matte/satin paint without changing the original look and feel too much would be really appreciated !!
I want ppf because if we buy this car, and likely will, it will need to spend a good deal of time on gravel roads so we'll need protection from a lot more than bird droppings and bug splats.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts