BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, when I configure the M50 with the smallest possible tires (german site: 18") and leave away the spoiler, the site gives a range of 510km.
Should I order it with the smallest tires and without a spoiler?

What do You guys think? If not, why?

Thx

·
Registered
180 Posts
Different 19 inchers will give you a different range. The 816M's will give you the same range as the 18 inchers (based on the Dutch configuration site).
Taking off the spoiler will give you an additional 8 kilometers. Worth considering maybe as the car's profile may even be more fluent without the rear spoiler.

I would suggest configuring the nicest configuration you can dream of. When charging the batteries you will at least have a beautiful car to look at!

PS. buy the eDrive40 if you think it's all about range :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
My current plan is to take winter tires with 18” and summer tires 19”.
I think that I4 looks better with spoiler, but haven’t config without..

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you absolutely only care about what a paper says is the best EV based on the metrics range and price, you should probably buy a Tesla.

The added downforce naturally saps some energy from the straight line performance, it’s estimated to be 5km. If you add more rubber to the tires it will feel more spongy and boaty. Okay for winter but probably 19” is what the suspension is tuned for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
but If I configure 18" tires, I can buy bigger ones later, right?

But is there a huge difference in traction when comparing 18" and 19" tires?
Thx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On paper, Tesla M3 would fit me perfectly, but I dislike strongly the interior, the lack of buttons: in fact I find it distracting and dangerous to fiddle in menus to change just simple things. The way the company behaves towards customers is something I am not comfortable with, too:
they changed the battery chemistry for cars without informing you, so that charging on China M3 is now much worse than advertised, they changed motor characteristics over the air in Model S to protect the batteries without tellilng or even asking the customers and they leech all data from the car including the inside camera without asking for permission.
In fact, I am sure this issue will sooner or later be discussed in some court...(EU data protection legislation)....

·
Registered
90 Posts
@Klaus I’ve had a Model 3 Performance for nearly 2 years. I won’t be renewing the lease as I have found myself less and less enamoured by it as time has gone on. I’m looking forward to the i4 M50.

Range - after having had an EV for a while, I have found that I never think about charge levels unless I go on a road trip. Then I make sure I plan stops that are no further than 200 miles apart. That way, you can take a break and so can the car while it charges. The chances are that you will need a break before the car does anyway, so plan your charging stops around that. Using this method, I’ve never experienced any range anxiety. The plus side of this strategy is that it generally doesn’t matter if you have the spoiler or larger wheels as you can still do well over 200 miles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
But is there a huge difference in traction when comparing 18" and 19" tires?
Thx
If the width of the tires and it’s brand and type are the same, I do not expect any relevant differences in traction between the 18 and 19 inchers.

The 19 inch rubbers are lower which will give you more precise steering. The 18 inchers on the other hand will be more comfortable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Rincewind. Thx. I am looking forward to hear how you like the M50 instead!
Your explanation to range sounds very reasonable to me. I drive an electric car for 3 years now, but with a small battery. So I would love a highway range of around 350-400km.
I will place my order after I see real life stats for highway scenarios.

·
Registered
90 Posts
@Klaus it looks like the M50 will have a range pretty much identical to my current Model 3 Performance. It’s quite a slippery shape so it should be ok on fast roads at around 120 kph. I was also looking at the Ionic 5 but I’ve now seen reliable reports that it’s range drops a lot at highway speeds. Bjorn Nyland on YouTube tested it. At around 80 kph it achieved 286 miles, but this dropped to only 190 miles when the speed increased to around 120kph. That’s a huge reduction, so I started looking at the i4 and have decided it’s the car for me, providing it continues to look good.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Using this method, I’ve never experienced any range anxiety.
Rincewind, this sounds fine. I hope it will work similarly with the i4. I gues it is very much dependant on the availability of high speed chargers along the road. To which countries did you travel with the Tesla? Did you come across countries or regions where you have experienced issues?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have only done road trips in England, and the Tesla supercharger network is great.
Elon Musk has announced that Tesla will be opening up their charging network for all EV users.

·
Registered
16 Posts
According to the Swedish configurator, the difference between 18'' and 19'' is marginal (2-4 km), however chosing performance tires makes a significant difference (-45km).

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just checked it without sunroof and it looks a bit weird inside. Getting a huge black cutout in the ceiling?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just checked it without sunroof and it looks a bit weird inside. Getting a huge black cutout in the ceiling?
its probably just the configurator. Normally it's a nice anthracite / black fabric with front and rear LED lights, all the switches etc except for sunroof controls. Configurator probably makes it look weird. Sunroof lowers rear passenger headroom by several cm by the way. I tried sitting in the 4 Series regular Coupe with sunroof and it was an epic fail. without it still bearable on rear seats height wise.

·
Registered
92 Posts
its probably just the configurator. Normally it's a nice anthracite / black fabric with front and rear LED lights, all the switches etc except for sunroof controls. Configurator probably makes it look weird. Sunroof lowers rear passenger headroom by several cm by the way. I tried sitting in the 4 Series regular Coupe with sunroof and it was an epic fail. without it still bearable on rear seats height wise.
You're right, it just bugged a bit on the phone. Checked again on desktop and it looks fine.
Here's my configuration

I think I'm with you on removing the sunroof. The panorama roof on my 5-series estate is fantastic, but this is super tiny compared to that, and I'm sure it will improve the lines of the roof a lot. Less weight higher up in the car as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts