BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
'22 i4 eDrive40 Black Sapphire Metallic
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently a factory representative meets with every new owner, and my turn has come up. I'm trying to collect a list of top issues to mention. Some things that came to mind:

Minuses:
  • Entire order experience for those who placed preorders. I definitely didn't suffer this as badly as others but yet another opportunity to express the pain
  • Dealers having too much control of sales/delivery experience (for in stock vehicles some dealers requiring extreme markups, add-ons etc, taking advantage of the car's scarcity)
  • Moderate bugginess of in-car software/iDrive8 and lack of transparency on when updates are released when. Related: why is the OTA mechanism to update software not being used, updates are being distributed only via dealers
  • Geniuses need more training on vehicle, especially the known issues with the vehicle, when they might be fixed
  • Multiple recalls/stop sales in first year vehicle on sale, from very serious (battery cell issue) to the more mundane (valet recall, backup camera recall). In all cases these have led to vehicle delivery delays, in extreme cases to loss of use of vehicle
Pluses:
  • Overall good quality of vehicle build. At least my feeling is that complaints about the manufacturing quality of the vehicles are rare. Most issues have been software and not the vehicle hardware.
  • In this class, car is good value for money (both in quality and performance overall)
  • Car is a looker (in my opinion anyway)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pro's: (2022 eDrive40 M-Sport Edition)
  1. Exquisite drive and handling
  2. Super quite
  3. Great interior and exterior quality
Con's:
  1. Some software feature glitches...strange behavior between two different FOB/User profiles.
  2. Needs more Apps to download (like YouTube and add a way to play Mp4 type videos from a USB flash drive, our genius guy said that was a feature, but it really isn't...yet). They are advertising YouTube on infotainment system for the new i7...give us the ability to download this application.
  3. Could use a security alert (e.g. Like Tesla Sentry Mode), assuming you have the 360 camera's installed.
  4. Charging Port door needs a manual release override. Mine is stuck and there doesn't seem to be a way to open it. I need to head to the dealer. (MUST FIX with a manual override).
  5. Find a better partner besides Electrify America. Their products are not reliable and make the roadside charging experience very negative for new EV owners. I know this will improve over time, but I'd fire EA and work a deal with other providers.
  6. Offer a frunk kit for anyone with the single motor (rear wheel drive models). There is plenty of space for storage when you don't own the M50 version.
Thanks for offering to provide feedback. Hopefully the rep you speak with will actually take this Voice Of Customer (VOC) back to the development and sustainment teams.

·
Registered
2023 BMW I4 40 M Sport Tanzanite Blue
48 Posts
  • Improving rear cross traffic alert that is almost useless without an audible warning
  • Closing windows on locking doors setting and also from the app
Thank you

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Factory needs to be more transparent with delays.

June 1, 2021 pre-order waiting for car while others have gotten 20" wheels and every possible option while I still wait.

Waiting for my M50......

·
Premium Member
'22 eD'40, Tanzanite, Oyster, 859M A/S, DAPP, PAP, MSport, Ext Shadow, Prem, MSusp, Laser, HK, HUD
201 Posts
My wife would like a stabilization handle above the door of the front passenger seat. I'm sure a lot of M50 passengers would like one as well!

·
Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,722 Posts
Communication, communication, communication, communication.

Be transparent, open, and empathetic. Understand that catering to the enthusiast market means being clear, consistent, honest, and authentic.

And understand that your dealer network is creating a very mixed message, including a cheap, used-car lot vibe for some of the more egregious.

·
Registered
2023 i4 40 /ALPINE WHITE /BLACK SENSA /18" GREY AERO WHEELS /PREMIUM PACKAGE /HK /i BLUE ACCENTS /SH
314 Posts
i4
REAR
CROSS
TRAFFIC
ALERT
NEEDS TO BE
AS GOOD AS
MY 2019
PRIUS

thank you 😎 👍🏼

Reactions: VXB and LionXV

·
Registered
62 Posts
Apparently a factory representative meets with every new owner, and my turn has come up. I'm trying to collect a list of top issues to mention. Some things that came to mind:

Minuses:
  • Entire order experience for those who placed preorders. I definitely didn't suffer this as badly as others but yet another opportunity to express the pain
  • Dealers having too much control of sales/delivery experience (for in stock vehicles some dealers requiring extreme markups, add-ons etc, taking advantage of the car's scarcity)
  • Moderate bugginess of in-car software/iDrive8 and lack of transparency on when updates are released when. Related: why is the OTA mechanism to update software not being used, updates are being distributed only via dealers
  • Geniuses need more training on vehicle, especially the known issues with the vehicle, when they might be fixed
  • Multiple recalls/stop sales in first year vehicle on sale, from very serious (battery cell issue) to the more mundane (valet recall, backup camera recall). In all cases these have led to vehicle delivery delays, in extreme cases to loss of use of vehicle
Pluses:
  • Overall good quality of vehicle build. At least my feeling is that complaints about the manufacturing quality of the vehicles are rare. Most issues have been software and not the vehicle hardware.
  • In this class, car is good value for money (both in quality and performance overall)
  • Car is a looker (in my opinion anyway)
Need transparent communication around the charging limits that are imposed after 5+ DCFC in a single day
  • Car need a software update clearly communicating what is happening and why
  • Car and dealers need to clearly communicate how to reset the car to the normal state (time, AC charging?)

BMW and all of the OEM partners need to come together and beat up Electrify America to get their act together
- EA stability is getting worse not better - this is impeding sales of EVs

Reactions: Squirrel1974

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Need transparent communication around the charging limits that are imposed after 5+ DCFC in a single journey
- Car need a software update clearly communicating what is happening and why
- Car and dealers need to clearly communicate how to reset the car to the normal state (time, AC charging?)

BMW and all of the OEM partners need to come together and beat up Electrify America to get their act together
- EA stability is getting worse not better - this is impeding sales of EVs
I hadn't heard that there's a limit on DCFC charging. How does it work?

·
Super Moderator
5,722 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ask if using the brake pedal on Low regen maximises the regen first before applying the brake pads. Everything I have read suggests so but my experience in m50 is that the regem meter max out with relatively little effort compared to my less powerful polestar.
If it does then have a mode where lifting off the accelerator simply coasts ( see earlier thread)

·
Super Moderator
5,722 Posts
Ask if using the brake pedal on Low regen maximises the regen first before applying the brake pads. Everything I have read suggests so but my experience in m50 is that the regem meter max out with relatively little effort compared to my less powerful polestar.
If it does then have a mode where lifting off the accelerator simply coasts ( see earlier thread)
In Adaptive recuperation it does exactly what you are asking (if you have it).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I hadn't heard that there's a limit on DCFC charging. How does it work?

If you DCFC more than 4-5 times in a single day, the charge rate will be limited to ~50kw
BMW says this is by design, but they have not provided guidance on what has to happen to get it back to normal.
A friend was doing a cross-country trip in his i4 and this happened to him.

Here is the related quote from the manual:
Font Water Rectangle Circle Magenta

·
Registered
207 Posts
Factory needs to be more transparent with delays.

June 1, 2021 pre-order waiting for car while others have gotten 20" wheels and every possible option while I still wait.

Waiting for my M50......
Yes would love some sort of reasonable response to this.....

·
Super Moderator
5,722 Posts
My friend hit the limit driving from CO to NJ - multiple reports of this - happens after 5 DCFC in a single day
Huh. I did 9 DCFC charges on 11/19 and didn't see this. Software: 07/2022.33.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
  • Preorder system broken since day one, too much power to dealers over preorder allocations
  • EA is broken, they are still not ready for this business with BMW and any other manufacturer
  • Not keeping customers informed about problems with orders, and poor dealer training (still not reading OEM bulletins, and misinforming customers because of this) hurt customer relations
  • Great EV effort considering the platform sharing, the i3 lessons and the production shortage of everything

Reactions: wdtoddnix

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW this is likely to be a short call, 30 minutes. I can guarantee that I won't be able to mention everything listed here and will try to go through only the big ones. Since apparently this is something they do with every new owner, keep an eye out for that email so you can mention your own pet peeves!

Reactions: ssh and LionXV
1 - 20 of 26 Posts