BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Now Skyscraper grey 40. Some day hopefully soon TZ m50
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mercedes offers 'Acceleration Increase' — as a $1,200 subscription - Autoblog
After all the hate that BMW got when they talked about just adding things like heated seats in all cars and charging a subscription all over Reddit and other forums I see this.

I think it's a given that pretty much all manufacturers will at least try to get creative on options to add so they can get the recurring revenue that subscriptions provide. Software companies like Microsoft do this and it has been successful at increasing their profit, so of course almost any consumer driven industry is going to at least try to do this. Why charge a consumer one lump sum when you can break it up and keep charging indefinitely

I'm not happy about this as much as the next guy, but it really does seem like this may be the future of many industries.

• Angry
Reactions: NCe40 and MzTeaze

·
Registered
690 Posts
Tesla has offered a performance increase called "Acceleration Boost" on their LR AWD vehicles for a while now, but it's a one time purchase ($2k), not a subscription. It's the equivalent of about 50 HP.

·
Registered
2023 i4 M50. Frozen Pure Grey, Shadowline, Cognac Sensatec, Open Pore Wood, 861M, 50th
268 Posts
It is pretty different when a Software company does this because they are adding new features in frequent releases and have to invest in developers, testing, security for those new features. The whole SaaS makes sense because the product is never done and you use feedback from your customers to innovate.

Nothing like that happening with your heated seats or the acceleration. You are paying for something already there with limited ongoing cost for the car company.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Enough damn subscriptions in my life. The line must be drawn here. This far, no further.
The only subscription I'm willing to pay for on a car is the connectivity for 4/5G and satellite radio.

I would not be buying a performance subscription. My car isn't a video game.

Waiting for my M50......

Reactions: joeFish
1 - 7 of 7 Posts