BMW i4 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't put in my order yet (I'm still cross-shopping other EVs and want to test drive a 430i Gran Coupe to get an idea of ride, materials, sight-lines, etc), but I'm kicking the tires on ordering through Costco Auto. I know a few co-workers that ordered via Costco in the past and had a great experience -- completely hassle-free.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I haven't put in my order yet (I'm still cross-shopping other EVs and want to test drive a 430i Gran Coupe to get an idea of ride, materials, sight-lines, etc), but I'm kicking the tires on ordering through Costco Auto. I know a few co-workers that ordered via Costco in the past and had a great experience -- completely hassle-free.

View attachment 5003
This looks like a phenomenal program! I just tried this and received this message unfortunately after selecting locate dealer.

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Automotive exterior

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts
This looks like a phenomenal program! I just tried this and received this message unfortunately after selecting locate dealer.
I'm also a member, and I checked with them (I went to the Service Center at my local Costco) before I placed my pre-order. They explained that they normally wait until a car is announced officially (expected to happen in March), then they negotiate with the dealers association a special price for their members, and then offer it. The lady that explained this to me says it normally happens "a few months" after the announcement, but in this case it might take longer because of the limited supply (this last part is my opinion only). So I went ahead and placed my pre-order online at BMWusa.com.

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40 M Sport
432 Posts
Nothing so far but I reserved in November so the wait will be longer.

I emailed my sales person for the first time since the reservation this morning to get an update and waiting to hear back.
@poterico2
Got confirmation from sales guy that they just started ordering i4s and that a demo car should arrive by end of March.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just verified with my dealer there would be no mark up for my order put in just before Thanksgiving. The way he worded it though seemed to indicate future orders may be subject to mark-ups.
Any rough estimate when you should expect your car? I ask because it seems I put my pre-order in right before you. Thanksgiving I sent over my specs and he sent them on. Not that I expect to have a production number yet, I know I'm late into this game than most on this site.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yikes!! I don’t believe this will happen to us. We preordered two and paying cash. But when the order went in I got copies of the total price of the car and misc extras like delivery etc etc. But Informed no markup is made. They already make a killing on the cars anyhow.
I guess my m50 is in the second batch this year and has not been ordered yet… so maybe it could change for mine… hope not!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any rough estimate when you should expect your car? I ask because it seems I put my pre-order in right before you. Thanksgiving I sent over my specs and he sent them on. Not that I expect to have a production number yet, I know I'm late into this game than most on this site.
No idea when I might receive the car. Based on what I am reading I am anticipating late this year....hopefully :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I walked into a dealer today and he politely asked if he could price the i4 M50 to which I said sure. I asked there was an up charge he said no. Just selling at MSRP which was $75,670 plus local tax approximately 8.6% He came back with a $90,000 price including tax. I said that looked a little high. He said his mistake, there is a $5000 up charge! He also told me to put in my order today he would need a $5000 deposit which he said is “standard “ (Not standard!!) I said I’m going to think about it, he promptly came back and said what if I got rid of the Upcharge could you put the order in today. I walked out of there. I know we are in new dealers market uncharted territory, but I didn’t appreciate being gouged and then having the gouging removed as a “favor“.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I walked into a dealer today and he politely asked if he could price the i4 M50 to which I said sure. I asked there was an up charge he said no. Just selling at MSRP which was $75,670 plus local tax approximately 8.6% He came back with a $90,000 price including tax. I said that looked a little high. He said his mistake, there is a $5000 up charge! He also told me to put in my order today he would need a $5000 deposit which he said is “standard “ (Not standard!!) I said I’m going to think about it, he promptly came back and said what if I got rid of the Upcharge could you put the order in today. I walked out of there. I know we are in new dealers market uncharted territory, but I didn’t appreciate being gouged and then having the gouging removed as a “favor“.
Wow........5,000 deposit "standard"!!!!! His mistake..........yeah, sure..... Which dealer was this? Maybe put them on blast?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wow........5,000 deposit "standard"!!!!! His mistake..........yeah, sure..... Which dealer was this? Maybe put them on blast?
The guy was in the business three months, nice kid he was probably being pushed around by his sales manager who thought he saw a “whale“ or a sucker lol. I don’t want to say the name of the dealer I don’t want to get this kid in trouble. He was a nice kid I would’ve bought a car from them, beautiful dealership but the sales tactic spoiled it for me even if they gave me $1000 discount I would’ve gone somewhere else.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I bet that 5k would have been non-refundable according to their own guidelines. Also besides sitting on the extra cash for months, you would have waited and waited only for your beautiful car to come in, then show up with the rest of your money (in some form) only for you to to find out they tinted it for $1000, put “paint sealant” on it for $1000, put fabric / leather protector for another $1000, etched the windows with the vin for $500 and god knows what else to get your money. They know suckers get excited and don’t want to walk away.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Got my eDrive 40 today and it was at MSRP, no extras that would not be consider normal charges like delivery or admin fees.
Nice. I see you’re located in Canada how come you didn’t go for the M50 all wheel drive? Are you planning on putting winter tires for the season?
I bet that 5k would have been non-refundable according to their own guidelines. Also besides sitting on the extra cash for months, you would have waited and waited only for your beautiful car to come in, then show up with the rest of your money (in some form) only for you to to find out they tinted it for $1000, put “paint sealant” on it for $1000, put fabric / leather protector for another $1000, etched the windows with the vin for $500 and god knows what else to get your money. They know suckers get excited and don’t want to walk away.
I hear you, i’m sure they have plenty of disclaimers and paperwork, but they’d be messing with the wrong person. Not only would I walk away, dispute my credit card, hire a lawyer and sue them for damages and false advertising along with whatever breach of business misssteps that I could find. I would Additionally create a social marketing campaign to reveal their discrepancies and then report them to the appropriate authorities. At that point the i7 would probably be out and I would demand one of those at cost. Lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The i4 seems like a great car. I've been eager to place an order. But the reported behavior of these dealers is really discouraging. To avoid the dealer nonsense and frustration, I'm now considering other brands with direct-to-customer sales. I haven't made a decision, yet. But there's no way I'm paying more than MSRP.

·
Registered
BMW i4 E40 M Sport
16 Posts
The i4 seems like a great car. I've been eager to place an order. But the reported behavior of these dealers is really discouraging. To avoid the dealer nonsense and frustration, I'm now considering other brands with direct-to-customer sales. I haven't made a decision, yet. But there's no way I'm paying more than MSRP.
My local dealer has been consistent in stating there will be no dealer markup and that I will only pay MSRP plus tax, tags and processing fees. I've pushed him on it a few times after hearing about $5K+ markups by Ford dealers on the Mustang Mach E and other "in demand" cars. I am on Oahu with no option to go to another dealer (and dealerships here are notorious for adding "Hawaii Markup" to MSRP on everything, even cars sitting on the lot). He also said there is no need for a deposit just to be on the waiting list to order (they'll call me and take a deposit/discuss payment when it is my turn to order with BMW). I would go to another dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good to hear that at least one dealer isn't requiring a deposit and promises no markup on MSRP. Thanks for that. If I decide to get on the waiting list, I'll have them document any no markup promise. It's funny (and a bit sad) to hear Europeans express confusion at the price markups, saying that it's illegal in their countries. They're so cuddly and adorable with their consumer protections.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not sure if you’re in the northeast but I just purchased the vehicle from a New York Long Island area dealer. You can PM me happy to give you his credentials. Extremely honest at eight years selling these vehicles extremely knowledgeable. Hey used to be a BMW genius before. Happy to offer a referral

·
Registered
Previously a 2011 335D
91 Posts
Just got the out of door price from my NJ dealer for a preordered i4 which is in production now. MSRP plus doc fees, DMV Fees (both in expected range) plus security etching which is an "add-on" but at $300 I'm not complaining. For an ordered car the dealer does not have to float any $$ thus is all profit. On-the lot is the cost of inventory and for that seems all bets are off.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts