BMW i4 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,543 Posts
Not sure if you’re in the northeast but I just purchased the vehicle from a New York Long Island area dealer. You can PM me happy to give you his credentials. Extremely honest at eight years selling these vehicles extremely knowledgeable. Hey used to be a BMW genius before. Happy to offer a referral
Was that the gray i4 at Habbarstad BMW? They were initially asking for $10,000 over MSRP!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Just got the out of door price from my NJ dealer for a preordered i4 which is in production now. MSRP plus doc fees, DMV Fees (both in expected range) plus security etching which is an "add-on" but at $300 I'm not complaining. For an ordered car the dealer does not have to float any $$ thus is all profit. On-the lot is the cost of inventory and for that seems all bets are off.
I'd be happy with just that one add on they charged you for. I hope my Long Island BMW dealer is as honest.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It's funny (and a bit sad) to hear Europeans express confusion at the price markups, saying that it's illegal in their countries. They're so cuddly and adorable with their consumer protections.
Actually it isn't illegal. What is illegal is for the manufacturers to dictate what price the dealers sell at. There is nothing stopping them charging over MSRP in Europe. They just don't.

I don't know how widely it is used throughout the world but in Britain we will refer to someone being a 'cowboy', meaning "someone who is dishonest or careless in their trade or business". Now I know why we call them cowboys! 😄

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
375 Posts
We sometimes use 'cowboy' to mean the same thing, but usually there would be an element of danger. For example, there's a builder in my area who will just do whatever he wants when it comes to excavation for foundations. It is to the point that the site becomes unsafe, and the city has to shut down the construction site until it can be made safe again. He's cowboy, because one of these days he's going to get someone killed or cause serious damage.
It's gotten to the point that if we see he's associated with a project, my firm and other engineers will dial back the designs so that we're less exposed to risk.

As for dealerships in the US, I would imagine the word being assigned to predatory places, for example, that target young military members for used cars with 39%-interest loans on over-priced eye candy.

Reactions: J_P

·
Registered
375 Posts
No thoughts on dealers that target teens fresh out of boot camp with 39% interest loans, @J_P ?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sadly, dealers are hardly unique in exploiting financially ignorant people with exorbitant interest rates. Basic financial understanding and budgeting should be taught in schools.

We also live in societies that encourage people to live beyond their means; buy now pay later. <shifts into old man mode> My first few cars were pieces of ---- (the wheel came off one of them) but at least they cost next to nowt <old man mode off>

Edit Mod: Bad language

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hah! My first car (in 1990) was a used, low-mileage 1978 4-door Chevy Chevrolet in what I refer to as puke green. I think it had 28k miles on it when I got it.

I paid a whopping $200 for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Possibly contributing to my annoyance over these attempted dealer “up charges” is the fact that I’ve, mostly by necessity, been the frugal king of delayed gratification throughout my life and good Puritanical American. When I returned from sea duty one year, I purchased a little Mazda pickup for $5700 and drove it for 24 years. Then about 13 years ago, I sold it at a yard sale for $1200 and bought a used Miata for $14K. This would be my first BMW, certainly my most expensive car purchase, and possibly—given my rapid acceleration toward death—my last! So I’m not happy when BMW gives me one price then the dealers try to play games and blindside me with unpleasant financial surprises in the showroom.

The good news is that even though I’m currently two hours from the nearest dealer, they have very good reviews; so I’m hopeful they will shoot straight and deal fairly with me, because the i4 does seem like my kind of car. Well, except for those tacky blue accents with the need to shout, “this is an electric vehicle!” How was that allowed to happen?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've never seen any dealer charge over MSRP here in Newfoundland, Canada. Like everywhere else they try and sneak in a bunch of foolishness but you can always back that out.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I just stopped in at the local BMW dealer and they let me sit for an hour before they quoted me $20,000 over MSRP on a I4 and $5000 under wholesale for my 430i plus a $2000 coating that supposedly was already put on for a grand total of $90k out the door.
20K over? Did the clowns finally say, “only kidding!” I assume this was for an in-stock car? You should call BMW about this.

Good grief, that’s scary crap!!! 🤬

·
Registered
4 Posts
Never budged on the numbers, I spoke to the manager about ordering and he said a minimum of 10 percent on MSRP.

Spoke with the dealer out of Nashville and they said I could order it at MSRP. Delivery expected in fall, heard that from both dealers so hopefully there is some truth to it.

·
Registered
'21 Tesla MY LR, 2017 Volt
112 Posts
It looks to be a non MSport pkg w/18" wheels at MSRP. If it was mineral white and closer to me (CA), I'd jump on it in a "New York second."

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Just had BMW San Francisco offer me a guaranteed build spot with fall delivery for $5000 over MSRP. Think I’ll wait and take my chances for delivery in 2023.
So here’s a car you’d preorder, isn’t even on the dealer’s lot and he’s going $5,000 over MSRP. 🤮

61 - 80 of 86 Posts