BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I had a chance of being inside an i4 m50 and also test drive an iX50. It was a single day event in Lisbon, Portugal. The i4 and iXs had German plates, the first press cars should only arrive in Portugal in Jan22.

iX50 ~20m test drive highlights (edited with other reviews pics).

1. Driving style and dynamics - very close to an ice bmw. This was for me the most interesting finding. I previously test drove Tesla model 3 performance and Tesla model S 75d and the accelerator / brake felt much different and artificial. In this it accelerated and brake as a normal car. The adaptive recuperation mode is very effective, it lets the car sail when you release the accelerator and no cars are in front or helps to brake when cars are in front. I hope the i4 also handles in a similar way regarding the throttle / braking feeling. The car had rear axle steering and it felt light and small to maneuver.

2. Ride quality - in general very good with the air suspension. Tested on a country side road with lots of uneven tarmac and holes.

3. Sound insulation - very good, almost couldn’t hear the cars passing by.

4. Iconic sounds - I liked it. It gives some feedback of throttle and it’s quiet in comfort mode. I guess it will be a good option to active while migrating from ice and perhaps disable later.

5. Seats - okish, the i4 sport seats are better

6. Interior - it feels huge and much bigger than an x5. Mostly because the door panels have an angle towards the window, which makes the wideness feel huge, and the dash space to the front is very large. It doesn’t however resemble and feel like being in a bmw which for me is a downside. Only the wipers and indicators toggles are familiar and perhaps some dome lights switches. Everything else is new and not very consistent with previous bmw designs. It feels more like a big Renault or Citroen with premium materials all over.
Vehicle Gear shift Car Mirror Steering wheel

(edited 2006 Renault Espace)
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Speedometer Automotive design

7. Exterior - looks good and better live than in pics. It’s big but doesn’t “look” bigger than an X3, mostly because of round edges. The front with the “grill” resembles a bmw. The back looks like a Citroen, no bmw cues which could be in the tail lights. But in general ok (much better than the i3 imo).
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle

8. Wheel - didn’t like the shape but ok to hold and maneuver. It has different button configurations than the i4. Hope they make the M sport wheel available as an option.
Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering part

9. Cristal switches - they feel out of place. I mean if it was a Bentley you would find it interesting but (imo) in a bmw SUV they don’t match neither the rest of the style nor the tech ambient
Automotive lighting Window Fixture Automotive exterior Vehicle door

10. Rear seats - very spacious.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Fixture

11. Sunroof - it doesn’t have an interior sliding curtain and it doesn’t open. The sun is blocked electronically, from transparent it turns white. I would be skeptical about heat passthrough in hot summer days without the interior curtain. Salesman said it shouldn’t be a problem…
Hood Netbook Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

12. “Autopilot” doesn’t work on country roads, only highways so didn’t test it.

13. B&W sound system - listened to a incar demo loud and fm radio while driving. It’s good but not €5k mind blowing. The 4d effect trembles the seat but it makes a weird feeling as an unintended vibration. Didn’t have a nice bass punch as the HK on the X3 but maybe due to configurations / type of music. The demo was actually a poor choice of music / sounds imo.

14. Trunk - didn’t look bigger than the x3’s trunk. When you open it shows additional tail lights inside - which seem an afterthought and don’t match the rest of the lights design. Lots of space for cables under the trunk floor. (edited - remember Renault 5 ?)
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

15. Key - it has a different shape from the i4 key, which is a normal G series key with M stripes (identical to the X3 G01).
Hand Mobile phone White Communication Device Telephone

16. Door handles - on the outside you put your hand inside to press a button and on the inside you press a button like the Tesla model 3. You hear an electronic / mechanical sound you hear from the inside which is not very pleasant.
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Sleeve

·
1,042 Posts
previously test drove Tesla model 3 performance and Tesla model S 75d and the accelerator / brake felt much different and artificial. In this it accelerated and brake as a normal car.
(y)

The adaptive recuperation mode is very effective, it lets the car sail when you release the accelerator and no cars are in front or helps to brake when cars are in front. I hope the i4 also handles in a similar way regarding the throttle / braking feeling.
It seems that the i4's recuperation mode is less strong, maybe not strong enough

It feels more like a big Renault or Citroën with premium materials all over.
Same feeling!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
updated the original post with online pics to illustrate some topics

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems that the i4's recuperation mode is less strong, maybe not strong enough
lets see, it has the same drive train so technically it should be identical, but could be tuned differently. I liked the adaptive mode I tested in the iX, it behaved like a normal ice car and for transition would be the best.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
7. Exterior - looks good and better live than in pics. It’s big but doesn’t “look” bigger than an X3, mostly because of round edges. The front with the “grill” resembles a bmw. The back looks like a Citroen, no bmw cues which could be in the tail lights. But in general ok (much better than the i3 imo).
View attachment 2355
This is the Citroen model that I was referring to (2017 DS7) - similar tail lamps, window size and plate frame (even the angles are aligned!).
Car Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Photograph

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
14. Trunk - didn’t look bigger than the x3’s trunk. When you open it shows additional tail lights inside - which seem an afterthought and don’t match the rest of the lights design. Lots of space for cables under the trunk floor. (edited - remember Renault 5 ?)
in addition to the Renault 5, the old Opel Insignia Sports Tourer (left / middle ) has identical solution for the lights with the trunk open than the iX (right)

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Tire

1 - 9 of 9 Posts