BMW i4 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
(2) 2022 i4 M50’s - one is dravit G+fiona full merino/ other is twilight P+ivory full merino,
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I talked to BMW Genius today and they put me on hold for 2 hours and forgot about me... so lovely. i'm going to try again tomorrow

anyhow... my wifes care will arrive in cali on the 24th so am happy about that...but good lord.....my car was ordered July 2021 and still have not got a production number so NOTHING matters until this happens. I can't imagine how frustrating it is for those who didn't preorder. but I'm curious if anyone got a production number who did NOT preorder. as if this is the case... ---!!! bmw needs to get their act together and give priority to those who prerordered legiitmately.
i WANT a 2022 with 50th anniversary badges now... would be really bummed if my 2021 preorder would not allow this!
if my car doesn't get built by 7/2022 than it will be a 2023 model. as cars built in the 8th month of they year are NEXT year models.... sooooo 8/22 is actually a 2023 model...

times ticking and i'm super worried....

·
Registered
i4 M50 Dravit Grey ordered 1/2022
235 Posts
@Bimmer100 the M seatbelts will be available for USA from July 2022 as part of the new M Sport package pro for MY2023

·
Registered
550 Posts
I talked to BMW Genius today and they put me on hold for 2 hours and forgot about me... so lovely. i'm going to try again tomorrow

anyhow... my wifes care will arrive in cali on the 24th so am happy about that...but good lord.....my car was ordered July 2021 and still have not got a production number so NOTHING matters until this happens. I can't imagine how frustrating it is for those who didn't preorder. but I'm curious if anyone got a production number who did NOT preorder. as if this is the case... ---!!! bmw needs to get their act together and give priority to those who prerordered legiitmately.
i WANT a 2022 with 50th anniversary badges now... would be really bummed if my 2021 preorder would not allow this!
if my car doesn't get built by 7/2022 than it will be a 2023 model. as cars built in the 8th month of they year are NEXT year models.... sooooo 8/22 is actually a 2023 model...

times ticking and i'm super worried....
50th Anniversary badges will be available during calendar year 2022, not by model year... you good.

·
Registered
(2) 2022 i4 M50’s - one is dravit G+fiona full merino/ other is twilight P+ivory full merino,
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Just updating, but we will be picking up my wife’s M50 late this week and working on it through the weekend with doing xpel ultimate clear bra, tinting prestige film and adding crystal shifter,vol knob, idrive knob. Carbon diffuser, carbon front lip. Carbon steering wheel trim. Pretty exciting!! I’m really hoping for good news that I will be able to put in my order for my preorder back in July 2021… still blowing my mind how bmw has decided to deal with preorders and literally ignoring the importance of them by allowing god knows how many other orders to flow in way way before fulfilling official preorders. Still just don’t get it…

anyhow, /end rant….
I’m happy for my wife and she is beyond happy knowing she will be in her m50 soon. I’m trading in my 2014 435i coupe for her car. And later on will trade in her 2015 435i GC for my m50… whenever that is…

i have not seen any m50 with a full merino leather interior…. However one YouTube channel has a black sapphire m50 with an extended merino leather interior in fiona and looks great!!! Just looks weird having the dash be black… does not flow well Imo

but wow!!! Love the bright red… my wife’s fav color. And her current GC has red guts, and lower dash also red. Lovely look!

On a side note…. Anyone here know the process to replace trim on the i4 steering wheel? I got the upper and lower trim for her car from paddle shifters…The tutorial is Uber easy for an ice car but don’t know if it’s diff for the i4 being electric!!! The process I assume could be different but cannot find any documents to confirm. I did find this… a pdf for fire fighters in case of accident and shut off of power etc… there seems maybe it has normal battery in trunk like ice car and assume maybe this is only one to disconnect… however wondering if high power should be disconnected too!? Any experts out there? I’m quite capable with working on cars but want to be safe around air bags and never worked on electric vehicles so will be humble and ask for help.

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
On a side note…. Anyone here know the process to replace trim on the i4 steering wheel? I got the upper and lower trim for her car from paddle shifters…The tutorial is Uber easy for an ice car but don’t know if it’s diff for the i4 being electric!!! The process I assume could be different but cannot find any documents to confirm. I did find this… a pdf for fire fighters in case of accident and shut off of power etc… there seems maybe it has normal battery in trunk like ice car and assume maybe this is only one to disconnect… however wondering if high power should be disconnected too!? Any experts out there? I’m quite capable with working on cars but want to be safe around air bags and never worked on electric vehicles so will be humble and ask for help.

The steering wheel must be removed to swap trim.

Look for G20/G80 videos of steering wheel swaps for the instructions of how to remove the steering wheel.

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,789 Posts
Just updating, but we will be picking up my wife’s M50 late this week and working on it through the weekend with doing xpel ultimate clear bra, tinting prestige film and adding crystal shifter,vol knob, idrive knob. Carbon diffuser, carbon front lip. Carbon steering wheel trim. Pretty exciting!! I’m really hoping for good news that I will be able to put in my order for my preorder back in July 2021… still blowing my mind how bmw has decided to deal with preorders and literally ignoring the importance of them by allowing god knows how many other orders to flow in way way before fulfilling official preorders. Still just don’t get it…

anyhow, /end rant….
I’m happy for my wife and she is beyond happy knowing she will be in her m50 soon. I’m trading in my 2014 435i coupe for her car. And later on will trade in her 2015 435i GC for my m50… whenever that is…

i have not seen any m50 with a full merino leather interior…. However one YouTube channel has a black sapphire m50 with an extended merino leather interior in fiona and looks great!!! Just looks weird having the dash be black… does not flow well Imo

but wow!!! Love the bright red… my wife’s fav color. And her current GC has red guts, and lower dash also red. Lovely look!

Prediction: After owning it, the reviewer in the video will come to the conclusion, as he always does, that his Teslas are better in most respects. He is a Tesla fanboy.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Prediction: After owning it, the reviewer in the video will come to the conclusion, as he always does, that his Teslas are better in most respects. He is a Tesla fanboy.
Yea, I agree. This guy is predictable. He is just going to flip this m50 for a profit. Clearly. His business relies on him having an opinion of Tesla being the best. So surely he will say what needs to be said to keep slinging Teslas out his doors.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
@Technic
Yes, I know this, I’ve done steering wheel replacements and trim swaps on ICE bmws but was asking if the i4 is different since it’s a BEV.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
The steering wheel must be removed to swap trim.

Look for G20/G80 videos of steering wheel swaps for the instructions of how to remove the steering wheel.
I have seen plenty of ice vehicle Gxx steering wheel swaps and they are not helpful since they don’t discuss the i4. I know most of the process is same, however trying confirm the most critical part… making sure an explosive air bag doesn’t go off in my face!! Just trying to confirm if the i4 has a battery like ice car? And or does airbags get its power from main battery ? Is the disconnect of the main supply all there is? Or is there a secondary battery? Do you disconnect one or both ? Etc.
If you have not done one, then assume you don’t know until you have. But fwiw, it’s typical 30min process for then ICE cars and quite easy.
i cannot find any documents on the i4 for this yet… it’s still a new car I guess… but maybe I should see if there are instructions for the steering wheels avail for i4..have not looked at them yet…
I did did the pdf showing a cable back where there battery would be and it’s high powered cable disconnect… possibly?))

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have seen plenty of ice vehicle Gxx steering wheel swaps and they are not helpful since they don’t discuss the i4. I know most of the process is same, however trying confirm the most critical part… making sure an explosive air bag doesn’t go off in my face!! Just trying to confirm if the i4 has a battery like ice car? And or does airbags get its power from main battery ? Is the disconnect of the main supply all there is? Or is there a secondary battery? Do you disconnect one or both ? Etc.
If you have not done one, then assume you don’t know until you have. But fwiw, it’s typical 30min process for then ICE cars and quite easy.
i cannot find any documents on the i4 for this yet… it’s still a new car I guess… but maybe I should see if there are instructions for the steering wheels avail for i4..have not looked at them yet…
I did did the pdf showing a cable back where there battery would be and it’s high powered cable disconnect… possibly?))
Disconnect battery:
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car Wheel

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
So the battery is in the front!? How crazy. Ok. That imagine isn’t too clear but assume the ground on right side… usually the positive is large and chunky… but remove ground and wrap in a towel and do the swap.
should be it?
Your absolutely sure the main battery does not power airbags?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Do you happen to have the complete pdf of this image with descriptions? Would be most helpful

I didn’t notice the battery in the pdf I uploaded, but does not show any detail like the images you have.
guess it should be self explanatory if the airbags only get power from aux battery

·
Registered
550 Posts
So the battery is in the front!? How crazy. Ok. That imagine isn’t too clear but assume the ground on right side… usually the positive is large and chunky… but remove ground and wrap in a towel and do the swap.
should be it?
Your absolutely sure the main battery does not power airbags?
Airbags are still 12V - you can confirm by disconnecting the battery and trying to start the car. If you do not see any lit icons in the display (display is simply off) then that’s it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Do you happen to have the complete pdf of this image with descriptions? Would be most helpful

I didn’t notice the battery in the pdf I uploaded, but does not show any detail like the images you have.
guess it should be self explanatory if the airbags only get power from aux battery
$30 in here will get you all the technical information of all the i4 systems, maintenance and schematics TisUI .

·
Registered
117 Posts
FYI batch of twilight purple just completed. Have a feeling it will be MY23 for you :/ Mine was finished 2 weeks ago and now getting ship this week. Your wife car looks great! Kinda wish, I upgraded the interior more.

Reactions: Bimmer100

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
FYI batch of twilight purple just completed. Have a feeling it will be MY23 for you :/ Mine was finished 2 weeks ago and now getting ship this week. Your wife car looks great! Kinda wish, I upgraded the interior more.
I plan to do my car in twilight purple and hope it won’t be delayed too long :/

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bimmer100. Thanks for snapping some quick pics! Car looks great. Can't wait to see more pics! Makes me want to change my Mineral White to Dravit Gray instead and opt for the Merino leather.

Questions (if anyone might know). I don't have have my production number yet. But was part of the pre-order back in October (2nd wave).
1. Would changing the color delay getting a production number? My client advisor says no. But I wonder if BMW builds cars in batches based on color or can they change colors from one to another without delay in their production process.

2. How much was the Merino leather options? and does it come in black? I really like the stitching pattern on it.

3. Would opting for the Merino Leather VIP Individual delay my build?

·
Registered
i4 M50 Dravit Grey ordered 1/2022
235 Posts
Bimmer100. Thanks for snapping some quick pics! Car looks great. Can't wait to see more pics! Makes me want to change my Mineral White to Dravit Gray instead and opt for the Merino leather.

Questions (if anyone might know). I don't have have my production number yet. But was part of the pre-order back in October (2nd wave).
1. Would changing the color delay getting a production number? My client advisor says no. But I wonder if BMW builds cars in batches based on color or can they change colors from one to another without delay in their production process.

2. How much was the Merino leather options? and does it come in black? I really like the stitching pattern on it.

3. Would opting for the Merino Leather VIP Individual delay my build?
In order for your salesman to get approval for Individual you need to have a production number. I have requested Merino approval and dealer has never really given me a quote as I dont have a production number yet either, he just said that they will take it to "the guy" to get approved and once Individual is approved you cant make any changes after that. There are 2 options for Merino, full (dash will match) and extended which is seats and doors only. I was quoted $5000 ADM for extended Merino on top of the extra cos which is $1500 I believe

41 - 60 of 124 Posts