BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of the rest of us here, my dealer confirmed that my pre-order from 2021 was now converted to a MY23 for my M50 and would be subject to the new pricing. With my configuration, it is an increase of $1400. This is in addition to the hidden value reductions that several "features" that were there at the time of the pre-order (comfort access hatchback, passenger lumbar, iDrive touchpad) are no longer included but also no longer considered as "deletions" like MY22.

Is anyone else thinking of writing to BMWNA? Also like many others here, I have been a BMW owner for over 20 years and across multiple cars. I feel like they should be doing something for us loyal customers that were willing to put down money on a car long before we could sit in one, let alone test drive it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
All preorders migrated to MY2023 must complain to BMWNA about the lack of price protection. Every other manufacturer has price protection for preorders, even Tesla with price increases that look like they do every other month.

This price increase without protection, and the magical offer of 1.90% financing for preorders that seems to be intentionally obscured as to make dealers deny that it even exist, are not good business to anyone.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Considering how many options there are for quality EV vehicles right now, I'd say your best bet is to shop elsewhere.
Name one other sedan comparable to an i4 M50 that costs the same or less that's available?

Don't even say Tesla Model 3. It's not.

Waiting for my M50......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Name one other sedan comparable to an i4 M50 that costs the same or less that's available?

Waiting for my M50......
Agreed @Techwhiz1 There truly is no other so we’ll both be enjoying our M50’s by the fall - just wondering who else is thinking of writing to BMWNA. Be on the lookout for another Tanzanite M50 in the East Bay

·
Registered
243 Posts

Waiting for my M50......

Umm EV6 GT, Mustang Mach E GT, and why not the Model 3 Performance? That's just a few off the top of my head, and I'm talking about straight line performance as the i4 M50 hasn't exactly had the best reviews when it comes to handling. The e40 actually has better reviews in that regard.

I'm comparing the regular i4, but the M50 also has some competition, as I mentioned above. My point is that no one looking for an EV should feel like they're cornered by the limited amount of competition out there (limited amount of supply is another thing). We're in the most competitive time for EVs right now, and the playing field is only going to get wider as more and more companies take the EV plunge. Hell even Stellantis is getting into the act. Electrification | Stellantis

I say bring on the competition, the consumer always wins when there's competition.

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
952 Posts
Umm EV6 GT, Mustang Mach E GT, and why not the Model 3 Performance? That's just a few off the top of my head, and I'm talking about straight line performance as the i4 M50 hasn't exactly had the best reviews when it comes to handling. The e40 actually has better reviews in that regard.
Um, why bring up not a sedan, not a sedan, and garbage interior/build quality in comparison?

The first two are like comparing an F-150 to a Suburban. Yeah, technically they're both trucks, but they're not really in the same category. Everyone compares everything to the Teslas because they are/were the EV market driving force, but other manufacturers are getting to the point where they are just doing the EV thing better.

YMMV, and apparently does, but there's a lot to disagree with in that opinion.

·
Registered
558 Posts

I'm comparing the regular i4, but the M50 also has some competition, as I mentioned above. My point is that no one looking for an EV should feel like they're cornered by the limited amount of competition out there (limited amount of supply is another thing). We're in the most competitive time for EVs right now, and the playing field is only going to get wider as more and more companies take the EV plunge. Hell even Stellantis is getting into the act. Electrification | Stellantis

I say bring on the competition, the consumer always wins when there's competition.
All of those EV are sold with ADM, and in the case of Tesla, going thru price increases every 4 months.

The point of this thread is to discuss not paying more for what we already ordered, and your response is “pay more elsewhere, for something that you don’t want”. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Because the EV6 and Mach E are not sedans.
Because Tesla has excrement for build quality and lacks features.
No leather, limited color choices, lack of premium interior for a premium price, no adaptive suspension, no guage cluster, no HUD, ADAS that is vision only and flawed at it's core, etc...

The handling of an M50 is always compared to an M3. I have driven the M50 for an extended period of time and it handles fine. Unless you are doing things that would get your license pulled, no need to worry about handling or ride.

I don't drag race at every stop light.

I want a sedan.
The options are:
Polestar : Doesn't know if it's a sedan or crossover. Nah.
TM3P: no, just no.
Lucid Air: not delivering anything competitive until next year. The ones they are delivering in the short term are $100k+
Porsche Taycan: Optioned out like a fully loaded M50 the cost is about $140k
Audi eTron GT: Expensive also
Tesla Model S: Expensive ($100k+) and build issues.

The M50 is literally the best value for a performance EV sedan today.

Waiting for my M50......

·
Registered
9 Posts
No leather, limited color choices, lack of premium interior for a premium price, no adaptive suspension, no guage cluster, no HUD, ADAS that is vision only and flawed at it's core, etc...

The handling of an M50 is always compared to an M3. I have driven the M50 for an extended period of time and it handles fine. Unless you are doing things that would get your license pulled, no need to worry about handling or ride.

I want a sedan.
The options are:
Lucid Air: not delivering anything competitive until next year. The ones they are delivering in the short term are $100k+

Waiting for my M50......
Agreed. Audi dealership close to my home has an e-tron GT and I seriously considered buying it, but couldn't get over the shorter range for a car that costs 110~120K... I will just wait for my M50. Hopefully, I will get it this year. 😥

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Agreed. Audi dealership close to my home has an e-tron GT and I seriously considered buying it, but couldn't get over the shorter range for a car that costs 110~120K... I will just wait for my M50. Hopefully, I will get it this year.
I've done the analysis and while I will complain about having to pay the MY2023 increase; ultimately I'll pay it if I must.

There just isn't an alternative, which is why BMW has a backlog going on a full year.

Waiting for my M50......

·
Registered
243 Posts

I want a sedan.
The options are:

Waiting for my M50......
You asked for examples of competition with a similar price, and I provided it for you. Yes, the i4 has carved out a very specific little niche for itself, but it's not the only EV in the game. The problem with your "It's not a sedan" statement is that you're making that statement as if a "sedan" has the same meaning as it does with ICE vehicles. Sure, an ICE vehicle that is a sedan and not an SUV will handle better as the center of gravity is in its favor, but that doesn't necessarily apply with an EV given that the center of gravity of an SUV is probably close to that of a sedan (attributed to the heavy battery placement).

Font Screenshot Number Circle

Trust me, I'm aware that the i4 is in a bit of a unique position in the market, but let's not pretend that it's the only game in town. And then there's BMW's chief rival 2023 EQE Electric Sedan | Future Vehicles All I'm saying is that there is competition, but if you're a tried and true BMW fan then I can see where one might think otherwise.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I don't like/want an SUV or crossover as a daily driver.

Sedan, still means the same thing.
Taycan, eTron GT, Lucid, EQS, etc are sedans.

While I like BMW's, I absolutely consider the Lucid as an alternative if they weren't even more constrained than the M50.
I have a reservation for a Fisker Ocean for my wife. I'm waiting for them to email me to chose the one I want.

I have never owned anything except a coupe or sedan as my daily driver and I know what I like.

Waiting for my M50......

Reactions: BlueHoosier

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - not delivered
635 Posts
You asked for examples of competition with a similar price, and I provided it for you. Yes, the i4 has carved out a very specific little niche for itself, but it's not the only EV in the game. The problem with your "It's not a sedan" statement is that you're making that statement as if a "sedan" has the same meaning as it does with ICE vehicles. Sure, an ICE vehicle that is a sedan and not an SUV will handle better as the center of gravity is in its favor, but that doesn't necessarily apply with an EV given that the center of gravity of an SUV is probably close to that of a sedan (attributed to the heavy battery placement).

View attachment 11254

Trust me, I'm aware that the i4 is in a bit of a unique position in the market, but let's not pretend that it's the only game in town. And then there's BMW's chief rival 2023 EQE Electric Sedan | Future Vehicles All I'm saying is that there is competition, but if you're a tried and true BMW fan then I can see where one might think otherwise.
Sedan vs SUV : Take a testdrive in an iX (or iX3 in Europe). They are probably the best driving EV SUV's that you can get - many people really likesto drive the iX3 and iX. But it is nothing compared to the i4, even if the price of iX is nearly double.

I dont know anyone beeing a bigger Mercedes entusiast/fanatic than me (in my garage today 1955, 1960, 1984, 1990, 2004, 2011) . One of my goals in life is to buy a new S-class once, and I was very close to buy the EQS, but the EQE ? cramped rear seats, looks ugly, no rear hatch, slow acceleration vs price, short range, i much prefer the i4 M50 (in Norway the waiting list of EQE is half a year shorter than the i4, for new orders today) We will have an BMW i3 and i4M50 as daily drivers - my biggest issue is I have to get rid of one of the Mercedeses. It will probably be the 2004 C200K Sport Coupe - but I love driving it with the Kompressor engine, manual gearbox and openable glass roof.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sedan vs SUV : Take a testdrive in an iX (or iX3 in Europe). They are probably the best driving EV SUV's that you can get - many people really likesto drive the iX3 and iX. But it is nothing compared to the i4, even if the price of iX is nearly double.

I dont know anyone beeing a bigger Mercedes entusiast/fanatic than me (in my garage today 1955, 1960, 1984, 1990, 2004, 2011) . One of my goals in life is to buy a new S-class once, and I was very close to buy the EQS, but the EQE ? cramped rear seats, looks ugly, no rear hatch, slow acceleration vs price, short range, i much prefer the i4 M50 (in Norway the waiting list of EQE is half a year shorter than the i4, for new orders today) We will have an BMW i3 and i4M50 as daily drivers - my biggest issue is I have to get rid of one of the Mercedeses. It will probably be the 2004 C200K Sport Coupe - but I love driving it with the Kompressor engine, manual gearbox and openable glass roof.

I'm actually fine with all of that, but as others have mentioned, BMW is removing options and raising prices. My point is that no one is being forced to take delivery. Hell, I'd personally love for a lot of people with pre-orders to just cancel their orders out of protest. Let BMW know that they want the options that they were promised, with the finance rate that they were promised. But, I don't see anything like that happening as a lot of people have already indicated that they'll let BMW push them around a bit. I guess that's a bridge too far for some.

This literally feels like when a guy tells his buddy that he thinks his GF is cheating on him, and his GF is mistreating him. The buddy points out how many other women there are out there, and the buddy is like, "No there's no one like her".... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
615 Posts
I feel most people don't talk about this enough, but I think this is the best point about the i4. Both versions, edrive40 and M50.

They are actually price to value ratio is INSANELY good and most people overlook that. And I think subconsciously that's why most people will not cancel their orders because nothing else that good even exists.

·
Registered
2022 i4 M Sport, Tanzanite Blue, Mocha ventilated seats
734 Posts
I feel most people don't talk about this enough, but I think this is the best point about the i4. Both versions, edrive40 and M50.

They are actually price to value ratio is INSANELY good and most people overlook that. And I think subconsciously that's why most people will not cancel their orders because nothing else that good even exists.
Agreed......the i4 is the only reason I decided to fully electric. My 530e made me want more, and then came the i4. That was all I needed to know was that BMW had a fully electric car comparable to my 530e. No brainer......had to have one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts