BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
It may lack the M50's headline horsepower figure, but pin the accelerator pedal in the eDrive40 and you'll still be alarmed as it scampers off along the road while the back of your head is pinned into the headrest
most other cars on the road will be a receding spec in the rear-view mirror by then.
enjoyable to drive - it handles like a BMW.
just try an eDrive40 - you'll pitch it into one sweeping turn, feel the nose tuck in sharply, sense the body lean just a little onto its outer springs, be aware of the grip rising and falling and the car's balance shifting between its axles, and you'll rejoice at those old sensations of driving being present even in an electric car.
In the comments though, there are still people complaining about the ....grille!

·
Registered
44 Posts
In the comments though, there are still people complaining about the ....grille!
Yeah, saw that too. I really don't get it. When you see it next to a 3 series, it looks so much more modern and really makes the 3 series look dated. I think the problem is that pictures don't do it justice. They have to see it in person.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, saw that too. I really don't get it. When you see it next to a 3 series, it looks so much more modern and really makes the 3 series look dated. I think the problem is that pictures don't do it justice. They have to see it in person.
I agree. I was skeptical until I saw the i4 in person. All my doubts about the exterior styling were immediately diminished. Glad to hear the e40 will be just as good to drive.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It looks great in real life and totally agree the older cars look dated next to it. To be fair not all new BMWs look good at all in my eyes, but the i4 is great. There will always be haters, the E60 and E90 was hated in its time but has aged extremely well. I think the F series were a bit of a snooze though, not much innovation.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
437 Posts
Very favorable review. One thing that concerns me a bit is the seating height. He mentions you sit low in the seat, but I prefer a higher seating position for good visibility. I’m assuming there’s enough travel height on the seat to give you a reasonably high seating position…especially for those of us who are a bit vertically challenged. ;)

I sat in the dealer’s 4 series GC, the twin of the i4, but I don’t recall the seating height. That car has since been sold, so I can’t go back to try it again. I don’t even know if the seating position is different in the i4.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You’re just limited by the roofline, for me it’s just enough space for it to be comfortable, but it didn’t take long before my head crashed against the ceiling. But you’ll probably want to just compensate for the difference of height vs a taller person, probably not going too much past it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You’re just limited by the roofline, for me it’s just enough space for it to be comfortable, but it didn’t take long before my head crashed against the ceiling. But you’ll probably want to just compensate for the difference of height vs a taller person, probably not going too much past it.
How tall are you? I only sat in the 4 series GC. Is it the same space in the i4? I'm 187cm

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40/ Sport, 18"(styling 853)/ Saphire Black/ Mocca/ Fully Loaded...
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How tall are you? I only sat in the 4 series GC. Is it the same space in the i4? I'm 187cm
I can only compare with my current car: 420i. The seat is slightly higher due to the battery. (I’m187 too)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am 188, there was a sunroof and plenty of room. Maybe like 7 cm. I just pressed all the buttons like the man child I am, and just adjusted the seat upwards. In my 5 series I would pretty much never hit the ceiling, about halfway up I hit the ceiling here, and full way up my head was kind of inside the sunroof frame.
For any normal seating position it’s fine, don’t worry tall dutchies!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I am 188, there was a sunroof and plenty of room. Maybe like 7 cm. I just pressed all the buttons like the man child I am, and just adjusted the seat upwards. In my 5 series I would pretty much never hit the ceiling, about halfway up I hit the ceiling here, and full way up my head was kind of inside the sunroof frame.
For any normal seating position it’s fine, don’t worry tall dutchies!
So my wife who is 155cm, at maximum seat height, would have 14cm headroom, exact same as I would have, with my 175cm, at the lowest position. This should work for us. It was indeed one of her worries (I'm assuming that half people's height are in the head and torso, by the way). Thanks for the very detailed assessment, @Inception

·
Registered
340 Posts
I got to test drive a 430i gc, following a trial sitting a few weeks ago. This was now at my dealer for the I4.

As before tha back seat was tight if I put the front seat fully back. I can drive with the seat a little forward. I must remember never to sit in the back seat while driving.

There is no way I can slide across the back seat with the structural floor hump. Luckily there are two rear doors so I shouldn't need to slide across.

The driver's seat was very comfortable for my back, so I expect to do well with it.

It helps to adjust the steering wheel high and forward, which gives leg room for driving and getting out.

The dealership had a display for BMWIi with a nice floor edged in blue and a charging station. I asked whether test driving an I4 will be possible before getting my car. He said that they expect to have no inventory until 2023, as everything is preordered.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The dealership had a display for BMWIi with a nice floor edged in blue and a charging station. I asked whether test driving an I4 will be possible before getting my car. He said that they expect to have no inventory until 2023, as everything is preordered.
Ouch where in the world are you? I've just had a call from a close to me dealer (UK) who have an M50 foer a test drive from 4th January - I'm booking it tomorrow :)

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
437 Posts
So my wife who is 155cm, at maximum seat height, would have 14cm headroom, exact same as I would have, with my 175cm, at the lowest position. This should work for us. It was indeed one of her worries (I'm assuming that half people's height are in the head and torso, by the way). Thanks for the very detailed assessment, @Inception
You’re a bit over an inch taller than me. I’d like to be able to sit high enough so that I have a good view of the front end of the hood. I don’t want to feel like a little kid straining to get a good view out the windshield.

I just looked at my dealer’s inventory and I see he’s got several series 4 GCs in stock. So I may pop over there if I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
You’re a bit over an inch taller than me. I’d like to be able to sit high enough so that I have a good view of the front end of the hood. I don’t want to feel like a little kid straining to get a good view out the windshield.

I just looked at my dealer’s inventory and I see he’s got several series 4 GCs in stock. So I may pop over there if I get a chance.
When I last test drove a 430i Coupe, a month ago (they did not have GCs), I put the seat as low as I could as usual, it felt fine for driving but I don't remember whether I could see the whole hood.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ouch where in the world are you? I've just had a call from a close to me dealer (UK) who have an M50 foer a test drive from 4th January - I'm booking it tomorrow :)
Hi Rincewind.

My dealer is in Charlotte, North Carolina. He says my car will be in the first batch built for export to the US, to arrive in March. As you may know the US has some regulations requiring modifications (such as brake, signal, and side lights) from the European design, so our market seems to have a delayed production run.

Of course this is nothing compared to the right-side steering in the UK, so there must be some other factors in their consideration. In any event the I4 is fully sold out in the US.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi Rincewind.

My dealer is in Charlotte, North Carolina. He says my car will be in the first batch built for export to the US, to arrive in March. As you may know the US has some regulations requiring modifications (such as brake, signal, and side lights) from the European design, so our market seems to have a delayed production run.

Of course this is nothing compared to the right-side steering in the UK, so there must be some other factors in their consideration. In any event the I4 is fully sold out in the US.
Back to a previous conversation, mine is in the second batch (as I planned), date TBD but not before July 2022, so @gsbaker, please let us know all the details of your experience with your car. I believe in "continuous improvement".

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi Rincewind.

I think @gsbaker is overly pessimistic, the fact is they provided demo cars in the UK, and all the test drives I saw in the UK had the steering on the right (I always have a bit of a puzzlement when they go to the right hand door and open it), whereas there has been no car driveable on a public road in the US. So I'm pretty sure BMW is ready for right hand drive UK-standards car, and are still working on US standards cars. My estimate is first delivery in January 2022 in the UK.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts