BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Great forum and nice to see the centralization of i4 information and pictures.

Hope I can add something useful. I do enjoy reading.

I ordered a i4 M50 in the individual color Petrol Mica combined with e.g. black leather M seats and 20 inch. ETA was March/April 2022 but this was prior to the change to the individual color. Hopefully this will not hurt the delivery time to much but I'm still waiting for an updated delivery time.

Kind regards from the Netherlands.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Welcome to our forum!
Great choice!

How much more costs such an individual color? I guess more than Portimao blue or aventurine red.
I hope you won't get a very late of delivery. (For the 3 "usual" individual colours some countries are saying up to +10 weeks)

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
955 Posts
Hi Bart, Welcome!
Can you show us your Digital Brochure? We're all very curious about the color...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys thanks for the replies.

I do not have a digital brochure but you can look at BMW Individual: The expression of personality and select the individual colour (first go to 4 series and then m50).

Looking at this colour on a car irl, please see the link below of a 540i which is for sale in the Netherlands:

Yes it was more expensive than the individual colours in the brochure. It is normally 5100 EUR and after I digested this number and approved, the dealer came back after some time with good news. There will be a discount on 50 individual colours (will be officially announced later this month) on limited motorsport models because of the 50 year Motorsport anniversary.
These 50 colours are part of BMW heritage (I have the full list). Not sure if this will be only for the Netherlands market but I cannot imagine. It is mandatory to combine these with the 50 yr Motorsport logos. Petrol Mica was luckily one of them so the price was reduced to ~2800 EUR.

When choosing an individual colour, I first looked at Macao blue. This is the colour I had on my M3 30Jahre edition and was awesome.

But after some considerations I went for Petrol Mica. This is a relative rare colour and not so common but part of BMW history.

·
955 Posts
Stunning color, but ehm...I think I'll keep the Brooklyn Grey....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you see Brooklyn irl? My dealer in the south of the Netherlands, 45 minutes from the Belgium border, has one in the showroom. I personally think the m50 'is asking for a dark colour' and when I saw the i4 in Brooklyn irl I was a bit disappointed - at least I expected more - but respect different opinions of course.

·
955 Posts
On one side I agree. I love for instance Tanzanite Blue and Dravit Grey.
But on the other hand, I've noticed on several photos that the darkly accented parts of the car (like bumpers, grille, side strip....), show up better on a paler color, like white, or Brooklyn Grey.
But everybody is free to choose what he wants. The world would be boring when everybody had the same ideas and thoughts :cool:

·
955 Posts
Bart,

A lot also depends on the light that falls onto the car. Sunshine, clouds, synthetic light,.... all that influences how a car looks. And if the car is clean and nicely polished...
In a worst-case scenario, Brooklyn Grey just looks like an ordinary light grey, when you have bad lighting and a dirty car. But that's also the case for your expensive color: if the car is dirty and it's a dark day, your Petrol Mico may look perhaps like an ordinary dark blue, if you know what I mean :unsure:

·
Registered
24 Posts
As it's an individual colour it open to individual opinions :) - I like it Bart, great choice!

I ordered the M50 with Dravit Grey buy after seeing the colour in real life in a dull wet day (which in Scotland is normal) I decided against it. There was a Brooklyn grey also there and that made me decide on that colour. My personal preference (and I used the money saved on the colour to add in the M Sport Seats instead).

·
Registered
10 Posts

I do not have a digital brochure but you can look at BMW Individual: The expression of personality and select the individual colour (first go to 4 series and then m50).

Looking at this colour on a car irl, please see the link below of a 540i which is for sale in the Netherlands:

Yes it was more expensive than the individual colours in the brochure. It is normally 5100 EUR and after I digested this number and approved, the dealer came back after some time with good news. There will be a discount on 50 individual colours (will be officially announced later this month) on limited motorsport models because of the 50 year Motorsport anniversary.
These 50 colours are part of BMW heritage (I have the full list). Not sure if this will be only for the Netherlands market but I cannot imagine. It is mandatory to combine these with the 50 yr Motorsport logos. Petrol Mica was luckily one of them so the price was reduced to ~2800 EUR.

When choosing an individual colour, I first looked at Macao blue. This is the colour I had on my M3 30Jahre edition and was awesome.

But after some considerations I went for Petrol Mica. This is a relative rare colour and not so common but part of BMW history.
is there anyway you can provide me the list of colors? I've been going back and forth on an individual color, but the price has been holding me back since this is a gen 1 car, I don't think I'll keep it 5 years

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello All,

Great forum and nice to see the centralization of i4 information and pictures.

Hope I can add something useful. I do enjoy reading.

I ordered a i4 M50 in the individual color Petrol Mica combined with e.g. black leather M seats and 20 inch. ETA was March/April 2022 but this was prior to the change to the individual color. Hopefully this will not hurt the delivery time to much but I'm still waiting for an updated delivery time.

Kind regards from the Netherlands.
Assume you got approved? How long did it take? I am trying to do i4 edrive40 in Twilight Purple, Msport seats with Leather 'Vernasca' Black/contrast stitching Blue | Black.

Twilight purple is on this list?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Assume you got approved? How long did it take? I am trying to do i4 edrive40 in Twilight Purple, Msport seats with Leather 'Vernasca' Black/contrast stitching Blue | Black.

Twilight purple is on this list?

Thanks

I would 100% do twilight purple, but I live in baltimore, and I'm not a ravens fan, and I think everyone would associate me as a ravens fan :LOL:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As it's an individual colour it open to individual opinions :) - I like it Bart, great choice!

I ordered the M50 with Dravit Grey buy after seeing the colour in real life in a dull wet day (which in Scotland is normal) I decided against it. There was a Brooklyn grey also there and that made me decide on that colour. My personal preference (and I used the money saved on the colour to add in the M Sport Seats instead).

Hi Ricom, great choice!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Guys,

The dealer called me just before Christmas. I went first for Macao Blue as individual colour after endless doubts over the limited colours currently available. I always enjoyed Macao Blue on my 30Jahre M3. He asked me to visit him. I went there and he told me about this 50 year special offer. Discounted individual colors for M sport package or M models (combined with mandatory 50yr logos). Prices for e.g. a M3 are different than a i4 (I believe the M models are less expensive but not sure). I made a picture of the 50 colors. Not sure if I'm allowed to share but these colours are:
Marino Bay Blue, Avus Blue, Maldives Blue, Tanzanite Blue, Gentian Blue, Long Beach Blue, Macao Blue, Le Mans Blue, San Marino Blue, Santorini Blue, Velvet Blue, Night Blue, Citrine Black, Jerez Black, Carbon Black, Orinoco Pearl, Petrol Mica, Sepia Violet, Mora, Daytona Violet, Urban Green, British Racing Green, Oxford Green, Malachite Green, Boston Green, Brands Hatch Grey, Sepang Bronze, Stratus Grey, Lime Rock Grey, Singapore Grey, Brooklyn Grey, Dakar Yellow II, Fire Orange, Light Red, Fire Red II, Melbourne Red, Imola Red, Indianapolis Red, Laguna Seca Blue, Aurora Diamond Green, Island of Man Green, Toronto Red, Sao Paula Yellow, Frozen Brilliant White, Frozen Orange, Frozen Marina Bay Blue, Frozen Deep Grey, Frozen Black, Frozen Portimao Blue, Frozen Pure Grey.

So I went through the list and there are some great colors in this list. The introduction colour of the M8 Aurora Diamond Green or Orinoco or Singapore Grey are all beautiful, like many others. But I would like to go for a 'forgotten' or 'treasure' colour and I feel Petrol Mica suits this. A friend of mine who is working with BMW's for >30 years told me how beautiful this colour was back in the days. So I looked deeper into this colour and the 5series in the link above in Petrol Mica (which I saw irl) gave it away; exit Macao and insert Petrol Mica.

There is no delivery time yet (prior change to individual I had a confirmed spot end of March) but I will keep you posted on the delay because of this. It has also in influence on the trade-in price of my current Citrine black M340ix. Because I have to compensate the dealer for the additional delay in delivery time, which is understandable of course.

·
Registered
I4M50
181 Posts
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Here are the colors available for the I4 M50:

I fell in love with the Metropolitan Blue that is an original color from Rolls Royce - however due to the extra cost and extra waiting time I keep the Portimao Blue that is lovely as well - although not as unique.
Rectangle Font Slope Material property Parallel

Rectangle Slope Font Material property Parallel

Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

Rectangle Line Automotive exterior Font Gas

·
Registered
94 Posts
Individual colors go trough a special paint shop that is dedicated to just this usage - it is optimized for minimal paint retention, so that less paint is wasted when changing colors.

Normally a bunch of cars of the same color are batched together - given sequential production slots, to minimize the number of times the paint color in a paint shop needs to be changed. That is because each time the color needs to be changed, the whole paint shop needs to be auto-cleaned: old paint needs to be flushed from all tubes and nozzles using a bunch of cleaning liquid, surfaces need to be cleaned just in case and air needs to be cycled fully. That takes time, wastes some color and uses up a bunch of cleaning liquid.

So to reduce the number of cycles on the main paint booths, there was a special Individual paint booth introduced with is optimized to basically be painting one car per color. If there is a free slot on that special booth, you should not see your production slot be delayed. If there is not, then there might be a delay.

I hope this also explains the higher price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Lord, I share your feeling :) and will keep you posted

@steffo, correct, these are the individual colors available. I'm with you; Metropolitan Blue is absolute stunning! You see multiple colors in the individual list which are 'borrowed' from other brands. E.g. Grigio Telesto is a Lamborghini color, Brewster green is from Porsche and Blue Pozzi is from Ferrari.
The list of colors in the 50yr list/program is limited and there are no 'borrowed' colors.
Looking again, the Metropolitan is a real beauty!

@aigarius, thanks for sharing. It would be great if dealers got access to this information. In case you are thinking of 2 or 3 colours and you have an insight in the BMW paintshop-colour-planning, the decision between these 2 or 3 colours could be very easy if you know you have a minimal waiting time with one colour or the waiting time increases with 26 weeks when choosing another colour.
Porsche outsources PTS completely to an external paintshop/party.

·
Registered
94 Posts
@aigarius, thanks for sharing. It would be great if dealers got access to this information. In case you are thinking of 2 or 3 colours and you have an insight in the BMW paintshop-colour-planning, the decision between these 2 or 3 colours could be very easy if you know you have a minimal waiting time with one colour or the waiting time increases with 26 weeks when choosing another colour.
I don't think that it depends on the color. Just whether that is a standard color or Individual color. And as Individual is a separate ordering process, the dealers going trough that would already know more details than I would :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@ Aigarius, yes we are on the same page; I mean when you doubt between different individual colors and you have insight in the individual color planning, this might influence which individual colour you might choose.

The dealer told me it was a manual process. They have to sent an email to BMW the Netherlands and they book the order in the system. The dealer told me he has multiple cars with individual colours in the showroom but these were all cars which were already produced. They purchase these directly from BMW, most of the time with limited mileage. To order an individual colour was not common to them, they do it only ones or twice a year.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts