BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
I4M50
156 Posts
@aigarius and @Bart - great in-depth descriptions and feedback!

It seems as there are different palettes of colors available for different BMW series. Do you know the reason for that?

F.ex the Portimao Blue cannot be chosen for ie the 2-series, 5-series and X-series but is available for 3- and 4-series.

I get flashbacks to the M3 I owned over 20 years ago when I see the Avus blue color :) The color looked great then but now I think there are more attractive colors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ahhhh Steffo, back in the days….. m3 e36 3.0L or if you had the money to spent an 3.2L…. 😍
Where there was Avus and Estoril (color is disappeared) and Dakar yellow, all lovely… and black was dull, red became white over time….. if we could turn back time…..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The way I see it there are 2 palettes, I) the one with regular individual colors like shown above including colours borrowed by other brands and II) the list of 50 colors which are in the BMW 50yr program and discounted. These are presented as ‘historical significant’ but we can dispute the history of eg. Lime Rock and others which do not have a long trackrecord. Anyway, the marketing department was also involved I guess….

·
Registered
I4M50
156 Posts
Ahhhh Steffo, back in the days….. m3 e36 3.0L or if you had the money to spent an 3.2L…. 😍
Where there was Avus and Estoril (color is disappeared) and Dakar yellow, all lovely… and black was dull, red became white over time….. if we could turn back time…..
I changed cars more often than trousers those days :) I had several M3 3.0 (286hp) and 3.2 (321hp) and a couple of Z3 M Roadster (321hp) - the red (Imola red) ones :)

One of the M3 had the Daytona Violet (purple) color - quite nice.

Little off-topic: One of the most uncommon colors I’ve had was a Wimbledon Green Porsche 996 Turbo (420hp) - I thought that car had an immense turbo-acceleration - I am so curious to feel the M50s (544hp) in relation to that old beast.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That Petrol Mica color is sweet! I'm going Brooklyn Grey because I wanted to stick with a lighter color (originally ordered Mineral White but changed). If the "anniversary" colors were like an extra $1k, I might be tempted. British Racing Green is also really cool, but I feel like I'd get sick of a green car before I wanted to get rid of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hi PoisonEye, thanks! Keep always in mind that BRG is a non-metallic and subsequently not sparkling / shiny. And with you regarding green; lovely but do you really enjoy green in 1 or 2 years from now? San Remo is also a beautiful colour and refreshing when combined without the additional shadowline package (grill, mirrors) and the stylish 20 inch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Steffo, well, that is an impressive list. We were just happy making it till the end of the month and you chose cars like you were a rockstar :)
Wimbledon green 996 Turbo is stunning. No other words.

I recall a memory, driving to the North of Germany to Papenburg for a trackday. Early morning, nobody on the road and we were behind a friend in a E36 3.2 Estoril blue M3. Gorgeous car. We were driving well above 200kmh (no limits autobahn) and the passenger of the car in front of us - also a friend - decides to open the window to wave at us. Well, he underestimated the wind, his arm was smashed to the roof of the car and he broke his arm. So instead of going to Papenburg we ended up in a hospital to fix his arm.
Memories like these live forever.

·
Registered
I4M50
156 Posts
@Bart The Netherlands - wow - hi-speed driving is no joke.

I remember my drive from Belgium (where I bought the green 996T) to Sweden on a wide >4-track autobahn, a BMW B5 Alpina hunted me and had a mission to pass at no price.

I had just topped the car above 300 km/h (I guess that triggered him - and maybe also the belgian export plates that means the car was yet not fully insured) and we were approaching a (large) curve so I released the gas pedal and speed dropped to around 270-280 (which felt like living at the edge in that left curve) but the committed Alpina passed me well over 290 km/h and his wheels lost control so the car slipped and made small jumps to the right just in front of us - but luckily regained control - really scary!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
@ Steffo, crazy :eek: ! The velocity is so high, you really know when you have to brake or in a turn/curve. The current max speed of 225kmh of the i4 m50 is enough, at least for me :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
@Rincewind, I don't know but if I look at the marketing material I cannot believe it is just for the NL market only. Sometimes there are NL-only offers but they are not so well thought as this one. I think it is to much international to be limited to the Netherlands. Maybe your dealer can tell you?

·
Registered
2004 Infiniti G35 - 83k miles, all me
37 Posts
There are some absolutely gorgeous options in that individual configurator, but I imagine that you pay dearly for those selections. Dream combo was San Marino Blue with the Blue/Black leather and aluminium mesh trim. Yummy.

...and I'm sure that the costs are even more ridiculous trying to get one to the USA.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On one side I agree. I love for instance Tanzanite Blue and Dravit Grey.
But on the other hand, I've noticed on several photos that the darkly accented parts of the car (like bumpers, grille, side strip....), show up better on a paler color, like white, or Brooklyn Grey.
But everybody is free to choose what he wants. The world would be boring when everybody had the same ideas and thoughts :cool:
This is the closest I’ve seen to i4 in Brooklyn grey. (This is 4 series obvs). This is at my local dealership in Stockport.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2022 M50 Brooklyn Grey
13 Posts
Hi PoisonEye, thanks! Keep always in mind that BRG is a non-metallic and subsequently not sparkling / shiny. And with you regarding green; lovely but do you really enjoy green in 1 or 2 years from now? San Remo is also a beautiful colour and refreshing when combined without the additional shadowline package (grill, mirrors) and the stylish 20 inch.
Brooklyn Grey is indeed classified as a metallic paint - here from the Bmw configurator.
I saw it irl yesterday, and it needs some bright light to «shine» its silver😎just like dravit, it looks more flat grey on a cloudy day, but it definately is a great color for an M-car. Just not for every taste👍
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
79 Posts
Brooklyn Grey is indeed classified as a metallic paint - here from the Bmw configurator.
I saw it irl yesterday, and it needs some bright light to «shine» its silver😎just like dravit, it looks more flat grey on a cloudy day, but it definately is a great color for an M-car. Just not for every taste👍 View attachment 5412
View attachment 5411
That reply was talking about British Racing Green (BRG is probably also a good abbreviation for Brooklyn Grey too). My order is Brooklyn Grey... I subscribe to the idea that if you make the car look aggressive, put a slightly muted color on it. IMO the M3 looks awesome in BG, white, etc. The i4 m50 too.

·
Registered
2022 M50 Brooklyn Grey
13 Posts
That reply was talking about British Racing Green (BRG is probably also a good abbreviation for Brooklyn Grey too). My order is Brooklyn Grey... I subscribe to the idea that if you make the car look aggressive, put a slightly muted color on it. IMO the M3 looks awesome in BG, white, etc. The i4 m50 too.
Ah, that explains it😉👍

21 - 39 of 39 Posts