BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
i4 M50 Dravit Grey ordered 1/2022
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you did not pre order (June 1, 2021- Nov 30, 2021) BMW has no allocation for you and likely won’t for the remainder of 2022

Attachments

·
Registered
BMW X5 45e 2022
191 Posts
Hmmm. Would be nice to know what's causing the delay.

Reactions: Elle BMW

·
Registered
2018 BMW 440xi Convertible M Sport / Estoril Blue / Black Upholstery w/ Blue Stitching
54 Posts
I canceled my order. Not entirely because of the delays, but I also came to the realization that the resale value of these cars a few years down the line will be garbage due to significant upcoming advances in battery technology. Nobody is going to want to by an EV with a 270 mile range when new cars will have 600+.

• Helpful
Reactions: gsbaker

·
Registered
24 Posts
I canceled my order. Not entirely because of the delays, but I also came to the realization that the resale value of these cars a few years down the line will be garbage due to significant upcoming advances in battery technology. Nobody is going to want to by an EV with a 270 mile range when new cars will have 600+.
This used to be my thought but hasn't really been reality. Teslas, for example, have held above average resale value despite technology changes.

Most people buy an EV with no intention of driving more than even 200 miles at a time.

Also worth noting that "600 miles of range" has been just around the corner for about 6 years. There's a big difference between the technology existing and it being mass produced affordably.

·
Registered
2023 i4 M50. Frozen Pure Grey, Shadowline, Cognac Sensatec, Open Pore Wood, 861M, 50th
158 Posts
What I heard from the dealer is that in Jan 2023, they will get a much better idea of what BMWs allocations and capacity look like for m50s.

I ses no benefit of canceling... unless you are thinking of ordering something else. Might aa well wait and see how things go.

For instance, my dealer was telling people 8 months as the wait for iXs... then the allocation improved and they delivered their entire backlog in under 2 months.

·
Registered
942 Posts
This allocation issue was announced back in June 15: eDrive40 preorders were completed then, M50 preorders did not. All USA M50 production since July has been to fulfill 2021 preorders; what this September notice reiterates is that USA M50 production remains constrained quite significantly.

Other markets are not having this M50 production issue as tight as the USA, so whatever the component supply issue causing production problems is, it is only critical for the USA market, IMO.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The queue for new orders is now up to 22-24 months. And that is accounting for all possible production increases. By that time the price of the production could be completely different, it could even be time for a model refresh of the i4, there will be a couple more models on the market. Frankly, I see very little point accepting more orders that far in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
BMW Hong Kong has stopped taking order altogether for M50, I ordered mine Oct last year, and it has just been finished but stuck at German port right now... And delivery estimate for new e40 orders is Q3 2023 over here, but at least you can still place an order for it...

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you did not pre order (November 2021 or before) BMW has no allocation for you and likely won’t for some time
That's interesting because I ordered my M50 in Feb22 and it was built in May ( have my VIN ) was suppose to ship in June but got caught up in the valet parking recall. I have however been told that dealers will not take any M50 orders because the lead time is 3 yrs for delivery. This long delay is also being quoted by other EV makers.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Easy answer is parts shortage. They can build E40 because they took out DAPP and PAP, M50 still has them but now they just won’t make them. MB EQB are now belting deliver with manual seats.
More likely that it's the motors or a chip/harness associated with the motors.

·
Registered
i4 M50 Dravit Grey ordered 1/2022
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What I heard from the dealer is that in Jan 2023, they will get a much better idea of what BMWs allocations and capacity look like for m50s.

I ses no benefit of canceling... unless you are thinking of ordering something else. Might aa well wait and see how things go.

For instance, my dealer was telling people 8 months as the wait for iXs... then the allocation improved and they delivered their entire backlog in under 2 months.
imagine walking into a dealer and being told the truth… we will take your deposit but unfortunately it will be 2 years or more before your car arrives. How many people would be ok with that? I thought 9 months was asking a lot back when I ordered. I am committed to getting a BMW EV so no other option at this point other than be patient and wait it out

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you did not pre order (November 2021 or before) BMW has no allocation for you and likely won’t for some time
This is for new orders I'm assuming. I pre-ordered in 01/22 and order accepted 6/22. Unless my "scheduled for production" M50 is going to get cancelled, i have to assume it will remain scheduled.

Reactions: lazLA and FL M8

·
Registered
744 Posts
This is for new orders I'm assuming. I pre-ordered in 01/22 and order accepted 6/22. Unless my "scheduled for production" M50 is going to get cancelled, i have to assume it will remain scheduled.
There are exceptions...like taking over someone else's preorder. If you have a prod number, that isn't really what this is about. However, I have a prod number and my build week keeps getting pushed out every week. It seems they MAYBE build 1 M50 a week for members of this forum...out of probably 8-10 assigned to that given week.

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - not delivered
1,236 Posts
Other markets are not having this M50 production issue as tight as the USA, so whatever the component supply issue causing production problems is, it is only critical for the USA market, IMO.
I think it is global - Many including me (August 2021 Order.) waiting in Norway for orders from summer of 2021 (3000 - 4000 orders ?)

·
Registered
942 Posts
imagine walking into a dealer and being told the truth… we will take your deposit but unfortunately it will be 2 years or more before your car arrives. How many people would be ok with that? I thought 9 months was asking a lot back when I ordered. I am committed to getting a BMW EV so no other option at this point other than be patient and wait it out
A neighbor got a Bronco last month after placing the order 28 months ago.

Hundreds of thousands of preorders are in the books right now for Broncos, Lightings, Equinox and Silverado EVs. Quite a lot of people are ok with that as long as they preorder, showing up at a dealer to get one right there will not be ok for the next few years.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I think it is global - Many including me (August 2021 Order.) waiting in Norway for orders from summer of 2021.
I noticed that Puerto Rico in particular is getting M50 allocations faster than the USA; obviously a minuscule fraction of the USA market but these allocations are not preorders.

• Helpful
Reactions: gsbaker
1 - 20 of 277 Posts