BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They now have official lap times for the gasser M4 manual transmission and M4 Competition :

I wonder when they will post official Nurburgring Lap Times for the i4 and i4 M50. When Tesla set a time for the model 3 performance it was heavily modified and nothing like the ones for sale, kind of like how they “cheat” on their EPA figures with extra cycles.

I understand that the i4 and i4 M50 have their own suspension compared to the gassers, but how does the chassis handle with the extra weight of the batteries? That is the question.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I just thought of something. With a top speed of 118 mph/190 kph for the i4 e40 and 140 mph/225 kph for the i4 M50 they may choose not to because of all the Ring’s straightaways.

Even if the i4 M50 handles great, my GTI probably would have a faster ring time because of its higher top speed.

Maybe BMW could show off the i4 M50 on a different track with less straightaways so we can see how it stacks up to other sports cars or sports sedans?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Maybe BMW could show off the i4 M50 on a different track with less straightaways so we can see how it stacks up to other sports cars or sports sedans?
would like to see it on a corkscrew :)

and wondering if the limiter wouldnt be taken off for this test :)
plus wondering if limiter is really a technical one of just marketing one (remember that VAGs have limiter set on 160 :D )

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would like to see it on a corkscrew :)

and wondering if the limiter wouldnt be taken off for this test :)
plus wondering if limiter is really a technical one of just marketing one (remember that VAGs have limiter set on 160 :D )
The BMW i4’s top speed are not are not electronically limited. Electric cars tend to have lower top speeds due to weight aerodynamics and the “gearing ratio” of the “transmission”. With one “gearing ratio” EVs have good acceleration to 60 mph or 100 kph but then tend to peter out at the top end.
This is why Porsche utilities a two speed transmission on the Taycan. The first gear is for good low end acceleration and the second gear is for a good top end speed.

So yes my US model 2019 GTI has a limited top speed of 155 mph which would allow me to go 15 mph faster that the i4 M50 on the Nurburgring’s straightaways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts