24th Nov 2022190Departed Plant
28th Nov 2022193EU Port of Exit Cuxhaven
5th December195Departed port or compound
6th December193Arrived UK Port Immingham
13th December198Delivered to dealership

· Registered
5.0 V8 Range Rover, Smart Roadster, i4 eDrive 40
1,049 Posts
It goes quickly, doesn’t it? Great news - fingers crossed you clear all the remaining hurdles quickly and can get your car in time for Christmas. 🎅

· Registered
221 Posts
Yes and it may be a Europe vs US thing as well. BMW may be prioritizing other countries right now. There only 1600 i4s delivered to the US in Q3 and I bet very few of those were m50s.

· Registered
BMW i4 M50
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The car has now left the building - Status 190, all down to logistics now.

Reactions: Squirrel1974

· Registered
5.0 V8 Range Rover, Smart Roadster, i4 eDrive 40
1,049 Posts
Keep an eye on that ship leaving Cuxhaven on Saturday!

· Registered
166 Posts
Production Timeline

DATESTATUS CODEStatus
10th Nov 2022150VIN Assigned
18th Nov 2022151Bodyshop Start
19th Nov 2022152Paintshop Start
22nd Nov 2022153Entry Assembly
22nd Nov 2022154Assembly
22nd Nov 2022155Assembly Complete
22nd Nov 2022160Transfer to distribution
22nd Nov 2022182Released to prehaul carrier
24th Nov 2022190Departed Plant
This is so helpful! Out of curiosity, when you were allocated in June, were you given an estimated production month, and how accurate was it? Thanks!

· Registered
BMW i4 M50
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Estimated production week on allocation at 4th June 2022 was w/c 5th September 2022 with estimated delivery w/c 30th September 2022

• Sad
Reactions: generic.user

· Registered
BMW i4 M50
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Latest genius update, arrived dealer this morning.

· Registered
BMW i4 M50
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I’m picking it up 7th January, although it was delivered to dealer they couldn’t get it ready before 23rd Dec by which time I’ll be in Christmas mode, so we decided to let it sit until after the holidays.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,766 Posts
I’m picking it up 7th January, although it was delivered to dealer they couldn’t get it ready before 23rd Dec by which time I’ll be in Christmas mode, so we decided to let it sit until after the holidays.
I'm impressed. I couldn't do that. No way, no how!

Reactions: generic.user

· Registered
BMW i4 M50
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
We aren’t local to the dealer, we are in Northern Ireland dealer is in London so need to fly to collect. The UK has loads of strikes on the run up to Christmas so travel not great. Added to that the Friday before Christmas is always really busy as people travel for the holidays. And to top it all off we are in a sub zero patch of weather which tends to bring everything to a standstill.

So while really want to pick-up the car it’s just too close to Christmas and the risk of getting caught away from home due to travel disruption too high. We could pick up between Christmas and new Yeaf but have already made plans with family etc.

We’ve waited this long another couple of weeks shouldn’t be too hard.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,766 Posts
We aren’t local to the dealer, we are in Northern Ireland dealer is in London so need to fly to collect. The UK has loads of strikes on the run up to Christmas so travel not great. Added to that the Friday before Christmas is always really busy as people travel for the holidays. And to top it all off we are in a sub zero patch of weather which tends to bring everything to a standstill.

So while really want to pick-up the car it’s just too close to Christmas and the risk of getting caught away from home due to travel disruption too high. We could pick up between Christmas and new Yeaf but have already made plans with family etc.

We’ve waited this long another couple of weeks shouldn’t be too hard.
Ah! I had forgotten that... makes sense for you, but I'm sure it's also challenging to hold on... ;)

· Registered
BMW i4 M50
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Well we finally picked it up Saturday, 300 mile drive home, set up on Sunday, car spa for ceramic coating Monday and getting it back tomorrow. Some photos from the spa.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

· Registered
166 Posts
@SDB CONGRATULATIONS! and thank you so so much for this amazing thread. Resources like this are what make this forum so useful. I love that you tracked everything and posted in this thread from when you initially ordered until you took delivery. Amazing! Thanks on behalf of everyone here!

Reactions: Dhdcf and SDB

· Registered
BMW i4 M50
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
So after a week of ownership and almost 400 miles some thoughts:

We are really loving the car, its a really impressive overall package, well built, well finished, comfortable, great to drive and fun! (and that is coming form a petrolhead who likes fast cars and the sound of an ICE).

Performance
When we drove M50 demonstrator we thought the drive modes weren't actually that different and under normal driving thats probably true. But having spent a bit of time with the car mainly in comfort mode the car is very quick. But when you switch to sport it becomes sharper and more aggressive. If you floor the throttle you notice the difference, the suspension tightens and everything feels a bit more intense. I'd say its more abut style of driving, comfort mode is for smooth fast driving, sport is for hard acceleration, hard braking point to point on your favourite twisty road!

Driver aids
We didn't specify any of the additional driver aids packages, I just hate all that stuff. On the first drive lane control was driving me mad, if you try to change lanes or overtake without indicating it tries to fight you back into your lane. I have worked out how to set a shortcut to enable it to be turned off quickly at the start of each journey. However I really quite like the adaptive region which reads the road ahead, no obstructions and the car coasts effortlessly when off the throttle but will use the region to slow down if coming to a junction or their is a car ahead.

Charging
We've had a good run so far, on the collection trip we used BP PUlse (150k) and a slow 11kW Chargepoint. IN NI we can avail of free public charging (until March 23) but most chargers are 22kW and prone to being out of order. Home charging has been easy with our Zappi and its very satisfying to see the energy form the solar panels going into the car.

Sound
We have the Harmon Kardon which is very good, like many I don't think I've quite found the sweet spot in the settings, we are playing FLAC files form a USB stick and while the detail and sound stage are very good, it does lack the sparkle which lifts the hair on the back of your neck. I'm hoping with a bit more tweaking we can eek the best out of it.

Turning Circle
Its not great, we have quite a tight yard and I could easily turn my E91, the i4 just doesn't have the same turning circle, almost as bad as my Defender 110.

Interior Sound
We drove without iconic sounds on our first drive, listening to music and I have to say that now when driving in sport mode I find the iconic sounds intrusive, I haven't turned them off yet but I probably will, the joy of the car is the quiet, effortless pace.

I'll add more as I get to know the car more over the coming weeks.

· Registered
166 Posts
if you try to change lanes or overtake without indicating it tries to fight you back into your lane. I have worked out how to set a shortcut to enable it to be turned off quickly at the start of each journey.
As opposed to just signalling, like you're supposed to? 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Techwhiz1

· Registered
BMW i4 M50
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Yes but sometimes you’re approaching the line as you are signalling…….and I am a BMW driver, with expectations to live up to😂

· Registered
BMW i4 M50
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Also on a clear road with no traffic where you might just be crossing the white line to avoid debris or standing water.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts