BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized that I'd never started my own thread in here. 馃

I decided that it was time to replace my 19.5-year-old Infiniti G35 late in December last year. It had over 83,000 miles, and the manual transmission was starting to go for the second time.

I googled "Electric Coupe", "Electric two-door" and "Electric 2+2", and you know what I found:
There is no true BEV coupe on the market that costs less than $150,000, except one:

The Mini Cooper Electric 馃あ

After searching through the cars that were already out, and the cars that were due to release soon, I found the i4. I wasn't sure if I could even qualify for that much loan, so I applied for a loan pre-approval from my CU.

I got approved for enough for an M50.

I spec'ed out several different ideas, and decided that the payment on a well equipped eDrive40 was what I could live with. I fired off a test drive request and the build to the dealership, completely unaware of the pre-order campaign that had recently ended. That was December 27th.

The manager e-mailed me the next day, and I got a VIR from my CA on the 29th. I had 'ordered' the BMW. I was told that test drives would start in March.

When I learned that I was looking at a September timeframe for delivery, I started wondering if the G35 would make it that long.

I also looked around a bit more to see if there really no other options, that's when I found the Polestar 2. It looked intriguing, so I requested a test drive. I did that test drive on January 8th, and like anyone driving an electric car for the first time, I was impressed. When I got home, I thought about it, looked at the ways to spec the car. You can get the AWD version, fully loaded for the same as the i4 e40, with no options. That seemed fine by me and they were saying mid-January for delivery, so I placed a deposit.

When I signed in the next morning, I had gotten an e-mail, confirming my order and stating that delivery would be in June.
I logged into the Polestar website, and even though the configurator now claimed that delivery would be late-January, my order stated June.

That's some bullshit bait and switch right there.

But June is better than December, and either one might change, so I left everything where it was.

Then on January 10th, I stopped at the grocery store on my home from work, and when I came out, the G35 would not start.

I called the wife, she drove over, I jumped the car, and let it sit at idle for about 10 minutes before driving home. When I got home, I let it run another 10 minutes, while keeping it revved above 3,000 RPM to engage the high band of the alternator.

Next morning, it did not start, and would not take a jump. Crap.

Called AAA, had it towed to the Infiniti place near my work. I also swung by O'Reilly's and picked up a new battery. They said the alternator was fine, and the starter, but the negative lead was bad? I'm no car expert, but I had them put the battery in and replace the cable. $250, but the 'comprehensive inspection' was a wake-up call.

Not only the transmission, but they claimed the car had over $13,000 in recommended repairs.

After some thought, I decided to order the Tesla Model3 LR-AWD, because they claimed March for Delivery, and I was not about to drop that much money on a car I was about to get rid of. I had also looked up the resale value of a like-new, low-mileage Tesla, and felt that if I didn't like it, I should be able to get out of it without taking a loss.

I took delivery of the Tesla on March 10th. (2.04% interest from my CU)

...and Polestar e-mailed on March 18th that the car had arrived at Port Hueneme, and would be available for delivery on April 6th. 馃が Meanwhile, the folks on the Polestar forums were having so many problems, I'd all but decided that I would probably not take delivery of it, but I thought I'd at least go through the motions until I knew how the financials would work out.

After jumping through hoops to get the trade-in info for a 2-week old Tesla to Polestar, they low-balled the trade-in value by $8,400 below Kelly Blue Book, and $11,000 below what Carvana offered me.

I told them to pack sand, and took back my deposit. I was actually able to test drive the eDrive40 on the way back from Polestar, and decided that I definitely DID want the i4.

Now, we're about caught up. I got a production number in May, and am 150 with a production date later this week. I'm keeping the TM3 clean, and continuing my low-mileage ways. putting about 1000 miles on it in the past 3 months.

I am hating almost everything about the Tesla, so I definitely want the i4 to work out financially. I'm making balloon payments on the 3 to make sure I'm not upside-down on it (not that I ever actually was) and hope the BMW dealership doesn't try and screw me over with a garbage trade-in offer and/or markup over MSRP.

I've got no deposit on the BMW, and nothing really in writing beyond screenshots of the VIR, so I've definitely got all of my fingers and toes crossed on this one.

Registered
M50, Sapphire black, Tacora red leather, Piano black trim, Comfort Pack, full Technology Plus Pack
Well, in my experience in the UK, BMW is pretty bad at trade-in deals. I had a pristine 440i, just 2.5 years old, fully loaded with high end options and 拢3,000 of individual paintwork, and one of the lowest offers I got was from my local BMW dealer. So you might want to check what they鈥檙e offering right away, because it鈥檒l only go down over time. Plus, I suspect there a lot of Tesla鈥檚 available, these days - although they do hold their value.

Registered
2018 X3 M40i

I decided that it was time to replace my 19.5-year-old Infiniti G35 late in December last year. It had over 83,000 miles, and the manual transmission was starting to go for the second time.

I googled "Electric Coupe", "Electric two-door" and "Electric 2+2", and you know what I found:
There is no true BEV coupe on the market that costs less than $150,000, except one:

After searching through the cars that were already out, and the cars that were due to release soon, I found the i4. I wasn't sure if I could even qualify for that much loan, so I applied for a loan pre-approval from my CU.

I spec'ed out several different ideas, and decided that the payment on a well equipped eDrive40 was what I could live with. I fired off a test drive request and the build to the dealership, completely unaware of the pre-order campaign that had recently ended. That was December 27th.

The manager e-mailed me the next day, and I got a VIR from my CA on the 29th. I had 'ordered' the BMW. I was told that test drives would start in March.

When I learned that I was looking at a September timeframe for delivery, I started wondering if the G35 would make it that long.

I also looked around a bit more to see if there really no other options, that's when I found the Polestar 2. It looked intriguing, so I requested a test drive. I did that test drive on January 8th, and like anyone driving an electric car for the first time, I was impressed. When I got home, I thought about it, looked at the ways to spec the car. You can get the AWD version, fully loaded for the same as the i4 e40, with no options. That seemed fine by me and they were saying mid-January for delivery, so I placed a deposit.

When I signed in the next morning, I had gotten an e-mail, confirming my order and stating that delivery would be in June.
I logged into the Polestar website, and even though the configurator now claimed that delivery would be late-January, my order stated June.

But June is better than December, and either one might change, so I left everything where it was.

Then on January 10th, I stopped at the grocery store on my home from work, and when I came out, the G35 would not start.

I called the wife, she drove over, I jumped the car, and let it sit at idle for about 10 minutes before driving home. When I got home, I let it run another 10 minutes, while keeping it revved above 3,000 RPM to engage the high band of the alternator.

Called AAA, had it towed to the Infiniti place near my work. I also swung by O'Reilly's and picked up a new battery. They said the alternator was fine, and the starter, but the negative lead was bad? I'm no car expert, but I had them put the battery in and replace the cable. $250, but the 'comprehensive inspection' was a wake-up call.

Not only the transmission, but they claimed the car had over $13,000 in recommended repairs.

After some thought, I decided to order the Tesla Model3 LR-AWD, because they claimed March for Delivery, and I was not about to drop that much money on a car I was about to get rid of. I had also looked up the resale value of a like-new, low-mileage Tesla, and felt that if I didn't like it, I should be able to get out of it without taking a loss.

...and Polestar e-mailed on March 18th that the car had arrived at Port Hueneme, and would be available for delivery on April 6th. 馃が Meanwhile, the folks on the Polestar forums were having so many problems, I'd all but decided that I would probably not take delivery of it, but I thought I'd at least go through the motions until I knew how the financials would work out.

After jumping through hoops to get the trade-in info for a 2-week old Tesla to Polestar, they low-balled the trade-in value by $8,400 below Kelly Blue Book, and $11,000 below what Carvana offered me.

I told them to pack sand, and took back my deposit. I was actually able to test drive the eDrive40 on the way back from Polestar, and decided that I definitely DID want the i4.

Now, we're about caught up. I got a production number in May, and am 150 with a production date later this week. I'm keeping the TM3 clean, and continuing my low-mileage ways. putting about 1000 miles on it in the past 3 months.

I am hating almost everything about the Tesla, so I definitely want the i4 to work out financially. I'm making balloon payments on the 3 to make sure I'm not upside-down on it (not that I ever actually was) and hope the BMW dealership doesn't try and screw me over with a garbage trade-in offer and/or markup over MSRP.

I've got no deposit on the BMW, and nothing really in writing beyond screenshots of the VIR, so I've definitely got all of my fingers and toes crossed on this one.

Great write up !!!. From my experience, its always a crap shoot when you try to trade in to a dealer. What I would do before you go in to pick up ur I4 is to get a quote from Carmax AND carvana and get the certificate and then walk in to the dealership. Those certificates are valid for 7 days. If the dealer is willing to match the offer (or come close if u factor the loss of the tax difference), then trade it in. If not, I would just buy the new car and trade it in to carmax or Carvana and then pay off the car loan with a lump sum that u get from the trade in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, despite being almost 50, I'm completely a noob at the new car game.
I keep them longer than most people, and the wife's have almost always been to replace a totaled vehicle. I've traded in once in 32 years, lol.

Registered
BMW X5 45e 2022
Agree w adrenaline256. Dealers likely to give you lower offer. I'm in the process of selling my car as well. Get quotes from Carmax, Carvana, Vroom, Shift. It'll give you an idea of what you can get when you go to the dealer.

Registered
'21 Tesla MY LR, 2017 Volt
Agree w adrenaline256. Dealers likely to give you lower offer. I'm in the process of selling my car as well. Get quotes from Carmax, Carvana, Vroom, Shift. It'll give you an idea of what you can get when you go to the dealer.
And please do let us know which of these online offers is the best as I'm planning on selling our 2021 MY AWD when we get the i4. You might try driveway too.

Registered
BMW X5 45e 2022
And please do let us know which of these online offers is the best as I'm planning on selling our 2021 MY AWD when we get the i4. You might try driveway too.
Shift gave me the best offer for my 2013 Audi S4. They were recommended by 2 of my colleagues. However, they have now cancelled my appt 2 times on the day of. So I'm going back to my tried and true, Carmax. Time is money and they wasted a lot of my time.

Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim

Fantastic story, rollermonkey!

and a great title for a thread! 馃ぃ

Registered
2018 X3 M40i
Shift gave me the best offer for my 2013 Audi S4. They were recommended by 2 of my colleagues. However, they have now cancelled my appt 2 times on the day of. So I'm going back to my tried and true, Carmax. Time is money and they wasted a lot of my time.
Ive had good luck with carmax but Ive also owned vehicles that are sought after - a toyota corolla, subaru Legacy and Subaru Forrester. I tried KBB for the Forrester and it was close to the car max. I tried to see how much my 2018 X3 M40i would go for just for giggles and carvana and vroom were 3-4K lower than carmax. So I feel comfortable going to carmax if I need to. But it all depends on the car you are trading in.

Reactions: rollermonkey

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and a great title for a thread! 馃ぃ
OMG. I knew I'd ordered the cars 2, 3, 4, but I didn't even realize until just now that I actually had written One, 2, 3, 4.

馃樀馃ゴ馃お

• Haha
Reactions: gsbaker

Registered

This is great information, but I was looking forward to hearing about the joke! " I once walked into a brothel with a honeycomb and a"

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I went to the dealership today to pick up my floor mats.

While I was there, I figured that I would chat with my CA about a couple of things. I confirmed that I neither wanted, nor would accept any dealer add-one, and he said they don't do that anyways.
Confirmed that they do not mark up pre-orders over MSRP.
And we discussed the issue with the wrong tires (right rims) being specified. He remembered our previous discussion about my wanting the all-season tires, but said that they would not be able to submit a change at the VDC or at the dealership.
He did however give me a gift card for $500 for the parts department, which at least will go some ways towards buying a second set of tires.

I did forget to ask about whether they would honor the spirit of the BMW military program, though, so I guess that will have to wait until next time.

I did notice that in the BMW Individual web site, the i4 is categorized under the 4-series, not as the i-series like it is on the models page... Maybe I can leverage that towards the idea that the i4 should be eligible for the BMW Military program in that category, too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I guess that I ought to compile/consolidate my sordid mess into one place, and stop threadjacking elsewhere.

I picked up my car on August 19th, and left the dealership about 8pm. I did a quick errand on Saturday morning, and was going to hunker down the rest of the weekend. I should have stuck to that plan.

On Sunday, the 21st, I went for a drive up in the foothills of the Cascades, and had some fun driving on some twisty roads at 55mph in a 35 zone. 馃ぉ
My daughter came with, and we stopped for some ice cream on the way back. After that, we were going to Costco to grab something for the wife, when I had an 'incident.'

I was traveling in a pack with several other cars, doing 50 in a 50 zone, southbound on a divided state route, two lanes each way, plus turnouts at the median curb and outside lanes. There were vehicles doing about the same speed headed northbound, and just as I spotted a large white pickup/dualie, I spotted something flying through the air, headed straight for us. As it got closer, I could even make out the shape, and I'm 99% sure that it was an adjustable footing for scaffolding like this:

I could see the sharp corners on the bottom as it came towards me, glistening in the bright sunlight as it flew, and my heart sank as I realized that there was nowhere to veer out of the way, as well as someone immediately behind me, so a panic stop would just get me rear-ended. I hoped that it wouldn't reach me, to no avail.

It slammed into the side of my car with a loud bang.
It was 4pm. I'd had the car for all of 40 hours, and something had already hit it. 馃槺馃槹

With much cursing, I proceeded the mile or so further to the Big Box, and parked well away from the storefront so I could get a good look.

Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶

I called Geico, but the car was still so flippin' new, it wasn't even in the DMV system yet. They accepted the claim report, tentatively, while paperwork and whatnot was processed.

At this point, the insurance co. has accepted the claim under comprehensive coverage, not collision, which is a step in the right direction. I've had the shop I've used in the past look at it, and they are trying to figure out the best approach, and how long it will take to get the part(s) and if they can even get the paint.

The metal is gouged, the panel is bent inwards, and the plastic below the door panel is also gouged. The panel below the plastic trim ALSO has a chip/nick through to the metal.

This is the best close-up I've been able to get of the door panel itself:

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Initial estimate from Geico is north of $700, but I have a feeling the final cost will be WELL above that.

Registered
Nope definitely not $700.
I'd say no less than $2500.

Door has a serious crease.

Waiting for my M50......

• Helpful
Reactions: rjwc and gsbaker

Registered
Yikes. Super bad luck. If that is less than 2500 we need to know the shop.

I expect a lot of us have been through the same choices but with a lot less urgency. Maybe I missed it but where did you sell that Tesla?

I should report I got the best used car offers from KBB dealers responding to my website query. You visit the dealers and they make offers. After 4 years and 35k miles I made $5k on my Tesla M3. I figure that is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yikes. Super bad luck. If that is less than 2500 we need to know the shop.

I expect a lot of us have been through the same choices but with a lot less urgency. Maybe I missed it but where did you sell that Tesla?

I should report I got the best used car offers from KBB dealers responding to my website query. You visit the dealers and they make offers. After 4 years and 35k miles I made $5k on my Tesla M3. I figure that is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
I traded the TM3 in to the BMW dealership. They gave me $55k, which is $3,010 more than I paid for it. Since it was only 5 months old, I really did not want to pay full sales tax on two $50k+ cars back-to-back, and WA state reduces the taxable amount on a new car purchase by the value of the trade in.

Thinking out loud here:

G35 Trade-in value: $4300
TM3: ($51,990-$4300) x 10.3% sales tax.
TM3 Trade-in value: $55,000
i4: ($62,450-$55,000) x10.3% sales tax

Effectively: [$62,450 - ($4300 + $3010)] x 10.3%

Instead of:
TM3: $51,990 x 10.3%
plus
i4: $62,450 x 10.3%

Maybe I could have gotten more in a 3rd-party sale, but I sincerely doubt that I could have gotten over $6400 more. $61,400 for a used TM3? I think the used car market isn't quite that hot any more.

$62,450 - ($3010 + $7500) = $51,940

So, in aggregate, I will have paid fifty bucks less for my i4 than for the TM3 that I...borrowed?

Can't say that I rented it, since I made money off of owning it, right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts