BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keen to know how everyone went or is travelling with their order. I assume that most of us in Aus are on the same boat. It appears that some people who order last year have already got their cars? Are there any who ordered in 2021 and still waiting?

For me, I ordered in Apr 22 with an allocation of October delivery, chased dealer on VIN and was told today they expect all allocations delayed, and the message from BMW Aus is unclear. I'm based in Melbourne.

Not looking good....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Ordered on 28 Oct 2021 and still in status 105 (No production week available). Basically the quota for Aus is tiny (probably < 50 (maybe 100) cars for the country) and we'll have to wait a very long time to get our orders filled... Thinking of switching to an iX3...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
iX3 are available at most dealerships immediately. Vehicle Stock - BMW Australia (these are the used ones but they're very low kms). Check your dealership website for new stock as well. I know BMW Sydney has a few available for example.
I'm just not happy to get an iX3 instead of the M50, though it would probably be ok, but it's not the same thing, that's why I haven't pulled the trigger yet...
 

·
Registered
i4 M50 San Remo
Joined
·
8 Posts
Ordered my M50 in Feb 22 and apart from a copy of the contract I haven’t received any confirmation of the order from BMW Australia (someone posted a status email that BMW Aus are sending out - see image here) - Brisbane BMW sales guy texts / emails me every month to say “no allocation yet” … doesn’t seem to be a formal process that all Aus dealers are using. Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I got a similar email. I ordered my i4 eDrive 40 in April 22 for a January 23 build and April delivery to replace my current lease.

I spoke with my sales exec today about rumoured feature deletion. He was fairly vague but he indicated loss of kick to open the rear hatch, and a ‘downgrade’ of the Driver Assistance features. Since my G20 330e is fully loaded, I said that I would not be willing to take a step backward in my next vehicle. He said at this time, they could not say what the specifications for the new car would be, but I would have the option to cancel my order in December if they could not deliver my required features and I would get a full refund of my deposit.

He also said something along the lines of no more eDrive 40s will be built this year.

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
I asked a dealer in Brisbane about when the quotas for Australia would renew for 2023 and he couldn't tell me. But from what you're saying @NielsH, that would mean the next production allocation for Australian orders would not be earlier than January, which in turn would mean that the earliest deliveries for the pending orders would be next April at the earliest... That's a long time to wait...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I received my order email back in April as well. Note it is just a order confirmed email, no numbers.

I was hopeful that e40 will be easier to get than M50 but I get the feeling that allocations for Aus has been pushed back to 2023, for the people who ordered this year. The wait plus the deletions is really putting a damper to this great car.
 

·
Registered
2017 BMW 430i GC
Joined
·
31 Posts
Like others I paid a deposit and received an email a few days later (early May 2022). Status 047 - order with no allocation. I’ll follow up again in a couple of weeks, from reading posts on this forum there might be some MY23 allocations coming soon - and if they can clear out the pre orders that will get things moving.

My dealer was upfront and said it was going to be 12m plus.

Currently we have a 4 series and X3 30d so ix and ix3 are not really options considered, we want to keep the diesel for family longer trips. Also moving to EV from ICE that are slower than our current cars is not appealing.

In the meantime just going to enjoy the current vehicle and wait. The possible deletions are a worry, let’s see how it shapes up next year hopefully the components in short supply are back in stock in sufficient quantities by then.

One up side is it gives ChargeFox time to deploy some more chargers for us 😂
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I ordered an eDrive40 purely based on the fact my dealer told me back in Feb/March that it will be far more likely to get one of these over the M50 with a production date of around July 2022. A week later it was pushed to December 2022. Wasn't overly happy as I traded my G20 330i on the basis that the i4 would be six months away. Dealer told me that most people in Perth who ordered in 2021 have already received their i4... haven't seen one on the road.

I did however put an out clause in my signed contract that I could cancel at any time if car hasn't been given a production slot by September 2022. That being said there is nothing remotely close to swaying me to another brand.

Having only driven an M50, I noticed my dealer had just received an eDrive40 in stock last week, so I went in to drive and get an update on where mine is at.
To my shock, he spoke to stock control and out of 20 i4's sold in Q1 I was number 15 and customer 16 had already had his gone into production skipping the rest of us.. He said he has no clue as to why or how. Really is quite frustating to be honest. BMW pushing out EV after EV i4, iX3, iX, i7 and now ix1 without actually being able to delivery them within 12 months.

Wishing I had hung on to my G20 now :-(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
If you can accept the specs and price, then take it!
All about whether you’ll be happy with those specs. It’s an expensive car - figure out what you can settle on and what you can’t. For me, I turned down a dealer offer to buy one that came available because I just couldn’t get comfortable with the interior color. Tough choice, but it’s a big purchase and you shouldn’t feel pressured to take something you don’t really want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
I actually thought in the shower that I could take both: this one until my one comes and trade the demo next year/century when the one I ordered is finally there. There might be a small gap but shouldn’t be too much. Would that be a good idea? That would give me an M50 now and then the one I wanted later. What do you guys think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I actually thought in the shower that I could take both: this one until my one comes and trade the demo next year/century when the one I ordered is finally there. There might be a small gap but shouldn’t be too much. Would that be a good idea? That would give me an M50 now and then the one I wanted later. What do you guys think?
Not a terrible idea. It would also give you an opportunity to see how much you like the car. The challenge I see, and I’ve been having as well, is no one really knows when the new builds are coming. It could be end of this year, it could be middle of next year, it could be end of next year, no one knows! I’ve spoken to so many dealers in the US and those that claim to have an answer all give different answers (I’ve literally heard answers ranging from production stating this August to not seeing the car until next April at the earliest). Especially with the switch over to MY23, there’s a lot of uncertainty.

So if you want to avoid the waiting and need a car, might make sense to just take the one now.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nicoouf

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Keen to know how everyone went or is travelling with their order. I assume that most of us in Aus are on the same boat. It appears that some people who order last year have already got their cars? Are there any who ordered in 2021 and still waiting?

For me, I ordered in Apr 22 with an allocation of October delivery, chased dealer on VIN and was told today they expect all allocations delayed, and the message from BMW Aus is unclear. I'm based in Melbourne.

Not looking good....
I do tracking of cars into Australia usually for another brand but have been looking into what I can do for BMW. I have access to commercial shipping data coming through the US by vin. Until you have a vin, I can’t help, but am happy to do a free check for a couple of people who do have a vin to positively confirm the ship the car is on. I see the data about 10 days after leaving port.
 

·
Registered
2017 BMW 430i GC
Joined
·
31 Posts
I actually thought in the shower that I could take both: this one until my one comes and trade the demo next year/century when the one I ordered is finally there. There might be a small gap but shouldn’t be too much. Would that be a good idea? That would give me an M50 now and then the one I wanted later. What do you guys think?
Given the demand, you probably wouldn’t loose much in value on the demo in a year or so. The saying goes “a bird in the hand…” 😀
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top