BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Trying to find out information on how much the battery will drain if left overnight without being plugged in. I rented a tesla a few months back and overnight, it drained roughly 12%-16% (if memory serves me correctly) due to the sentry mode being on.

Does anyone currently with an i4 care to test this? :p It's probably me being derpy but I can't seem to find any info about this.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi guys,

Trying to find out information on how much the battery will drain if left overnight without being plugged in. I rented a tesla a few months back and overnight, it drained roughly 12%-16% (if memory serves me correctly) due to the sentry mode being on.

Does anyone currently with an i4 care to test this? :p It's probably me being derpy but I can't seem to find any info about this.
Sentry mode keeps the car from going to sleep, so it does use more battery overnight if left on (I have sentry mode turned off in my garage, so I don't have this problem). With sentry mode off, Tesla uses essentially no battery (unless you have an app that keeps waking it up to check on things, which could also be a problem with BMW, if they allow api access).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sentry mode keeps the car from going to sleep, so it does use more battery overnight if left on (I have sentry mode turned off in my garage, so I don't have this problem). With sentry mode off, Tesla uses essentially no battery (unless you have an app that keeps waking it up to check on things, which could also be a problem with BMW, if they allow api access).
Cabin overheat protection also uses power if you have that turned on in a tesla. You can set it to use AC or just the fan. I have it use just the fan. I figure some of the interior parts will last longer if they dont get roasted.

Not sure if the i4 has anything like that.

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
952 Posts
Hi guys,

For the TM3, you can set things up so that Sentry mode is not activated based on location. (Home and work, for certain, I don't remember if you can add others,)

That said, mine NEVER drains that much from being parked for 10 hours with sentry mode on.
I suspect that there was something else going on, like a preconditioning set too early, or accidentally being in Camp or Dog mode. Another issue would be if it's extremely hot and the battery decided it needed to self-cool.

I lose 1-2% at most per night, and only 2-4% at work.

Reactions: gsbaker

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cabin overheat protection also uses power if you have that turned on in a tesla. You can set it to use AC or just the fan. I have it use just the fan. I figure some of the interior parts will last longer if they dont get roasted.

Not sure if the i4 has anything like that.
Cabin overheat protection? Is that something that is also one of tesla's features? I'm not familiar w the terminology/technology.

For the TM3, you can set things up so that Sentry mode is not activated based on location. (Home and work, for certain, I don't remember if you can add others,)

That said, mine NEVER drains that much from being parked for 10 hours with sentry mode on.
I suspect that there was something else going on, like a preconditioning set too early, or accidentally being in Camp or Dog mode. Another issue would be if it's extremely hot and the battery decided it needed to self-cool.

I lose 1-2% at most per night, and only 2-4% at work.
Ah that's interesting, and again, my memory might've failed me. I actually rented from Turo and the owner required that the battery be at a certain percentage. Long story short, after returning home from a supercharger, I thought I had enough to return the vehicle in the morning with enough charge but overnight, it had drained a good chunk and I had to go back to charge it again before I returned it 😅. Coincidentally, I rented the m3 to see if I liked it enough for a purchase. I decided to go w the i4. (y)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,792 Posts
Hi guys,

I had a 2017 MS and there were times I’d lose 1-2% and other times I’d lose 5%, but routinely losing 12-16% is a red flag, something is wrong.

With that said, my i4 loses 0% each night. Phantom drain is a non-issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a 2017 MS and there were times I’d lose 1-2% and other times I’d lose 5%, but routinely losing 12-16% is a red flag, something is wrong.

With that said, my i4 loses 0% each night. Phantom drain is a non-issue.

Thanks Ken7. Consensus is that there was indeed something wrong w their vehicle. Oh well, hope the owner figured it out. Great news for i4 owners who don't have access to overnight charging.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Found out the MyBMW app is recalibrating after unlocking an locking your car.

• Charge vehicle and disconnect charger
  • Check app: distance eg. 450km

Next day
  • Check app: distance still 450km
  • Unlock and lock car
  • Check app: distance now 446km

So there is a slight drain?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Next day
  • Unlock and lock car

Thanks for making note of that Bimmer. That's curious, but as you've mentioned, it's just a slight drain and I'm sure it's doing something...important. 😅

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,792 Posts

Next day
  • Unlock and lock car

It actually may be due to the fact that once you open the doors, certain accessories turn on automatically. The range is then recalculated and what appears to be phantom drain is actually a new range calculation factoring in those accessories.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts