BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
...but do the brake lights come on when the car slows down (very suddenly) in B or breaking in adaptive mode ?
Yes. There is a widget in iDrive8 which shows the graphical rendering of the car. You can see if the brake lights are on or off while you're driving.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This view, right ?
Car Vehicle Tire Grille Automotive lighting

Never noticed before I could spin the car around !
I've just 'played' with it a bit, but it swings back to the front default view automatically after a couple of seconds.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
234 Posts
This view, right ?
View attachment 16472
I've just 'played' with it a bit, but it swings back to the front default view automatically after a couple of seconds.🤷‍♂️
I believe it is a different widget that shows the current HP and torque numbers along with the car render from the back.

Reactions: Cable Guy and Krash

·
Registered
'22 - i4 M50
570 Posts
Do you guys think the it is bad to always be driving in B mode? My concerns are Battery Exhaustion, more wear and tear, and is it really going to affect range because I feel like i rather just leave it in normal mode.
Nope.

·
Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,514 Posts
Do you guys think the it is bad to always be driving in B mode? My concerns are Battery Exhaustion, more wear and tear, and is it really going to affect range because I feel like i rather just leave it in normal mode.
Wear and tear?
There are no additional parts in contact and in motion during regen that are not already in contact and in motion due to the car's movement. Wear and tear is not a thing caused by regenerative braking. In fact, it REDUCES wear and tear on your brake calipers and pads, as they get much less use.

I'm not sure what battery exhaustion is, google didn't even come up with anything related.
If you mean battery DEGRADATION, that will happen no matter if the electricity entering the battery comes from a plug into the charge socket, or from converting the car's inertia into electricity when the motor acts as a generator during regenerative braking.

The difference is one is free, thanks to Isaac Newton and company, the other you pay for.

I know which one I prefer.

·
Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
2,474 Posts
Wear and tear?
There are no additional parts in contact and in motion during regen that are not already in contact and in motion due to the car's movement. Wear and tear is not a thing caused by regenerative braking. In fact, it REDUCES wear and tear on your brake calipers and pads, as they get much less use.

I'm not sure what battery exhaustion is, google didn't even come up with anything related.
If you mean battery DEGRADATION, that will happen no matter if the electricity entering the battery comes from a plug into the charge socket, or from converting the car's inertia into electricity when the motor acts as a generator during regenerative braking.

The difference is one is free, thanks to Isaac Newton and company, the other you pay for.

I know which one I prefer.
You can get 32 kW driving downhill in the mountains.

That is level 2.5!

You spend that charge going up, so be sure to grab it going down. Plus it helps control speed on the downhill stretches with nice handling.

·
Registered
2022 Alpine White i4 edrive40 Sport
153 Posts
You can get 32 kW driving downhill in the mountains. That is level 2.5! You spend that charge going up, so be sure to grab it going down. Plus it helps control speed on the downhill stretches with nice handling.
Do you mean to say a sustained 32kW charging while going downhill? I routinely get 99 kW charging when braking hard even on flat ground. It's only for a few seconds of course, but it's insane to think that the i4 can charge faster by regenerative braking than a lot of other EVs can charge from a DC fast charger!

·
Registered
2022 Alpine White i4 edrive40 Sport
153 Posts
This view, right ?
View attachment 16472
That's the widget, right. You can spin the car around on this screen, but after a few seconds driving it goes back to front-end view. To see it permanently from behind, you have to set the view to "adaptive content" in this widget. If you do that, you'll see a rear-three-quarters view by default in comfort and eco mode (this screen doesn't show the car in sport mode).

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - Delivery next week?
1,349 Posts
You can get 32 kW driving downhill in the mountains.

That is level 2.5!

You spend that charge going up, so be sure to grab it going down. Plus it helps control speed on the downhill stretches with nice handling.
As I understand it, it is very difficult to not grab it. Car will always regenerate in B, D drive mode, only exception is really hard braking (i4 40 approx 70KW, 14M50 approx 180KW).

Is it possible to disable ABS so you can brake really hard with blocked wheels ? then you are sure that you are not regenerating ?:) I managed to disable ABS and ESP completely on my brothers Mercedes CLS today - it was just to unplug a wheel sensor, and dashboard was full of warnings about drive carefully and disabled ABS and ESP (Actually the work was more about reactivating it - it took 5 hours to disasemble and reassemble the right rear suspension system - to replace the reluctor ring - a USD 5 part)

·
Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,722 Posts
As I understand it, it is very difficult to not grab it. Car will always regenerate in B, D drive mode, only exception is really hard braking (i4 40 approx 70KW, 14M50 approx 180KW).

Is it possible to disable ABS so you can brake really hard with blocked wheels ? then you are sure that you are not regenerating ?:) I managed to disable ABS and ESP completely on my brothers Mercedes CLS today - it was just to unplug a wheel sensor, and dashboard was full of warnings about drive carefully and disabled ABS and ESP (Actually the work was more about reactivating it - it took 5 hours to disasemble and reassemble the right rear suspension system - to replace the reluctor ring - a USD 5 part)
Why in the world would you want to disable ABS?!?

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - Delivery next week?
1,349 Posts
Why in the world would you want to disable ABS?!?
I dont want too - I was trying to say that the only way to disable regen completely, is to brake with locked wheels.
(And on my brothers car - it was about replacing the reluctor ring to re-enable ABS/ESP that had failed).

This is actually interesting - is it possible to drive an i4M50 with nonworking ABS/ESP ? Failed ABS/ESP is usually cased by dirt on the Wheels rotation sensor/reluctor ring.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Most tests show low or "no" regen settings are more battery efficient than one pedal. All modern EVs regen battery regardless of what setting you choose, the settings just change whether it does it via either the brake or accelerator liftoff. But coasting is always more efficient than slowing and speeding up again.

Use whichever setting you enjoy more.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Do you mean to say a sustained 32kW charging while going downhill? I routinely get 99 kW charging when braking hard even on flat ground. It's only for a few seconds of course, but it's insane to think that the i4 can charge faster by regenerative braking than a lot of other EVs can charge from a DC fast charger!
You multiply the weight of the car times the slope of the hill, say 7% in the mountains. That is the force to keep your car from accelerating in lbs. About 300 lbs.

Then multiply by your speed in feet per second. I may go 60 mph or 88 ft per sec.

So 26,400 ft-lb/sec.

738 ftlb/ sec is one kW.

This comes out to 36 kW.

Use B mode downhill.

I have seen my range increase by 40-60 miles in one downhill grade.

Of course, I spent that range going up the mountain, but is nice to get back 90% of it going home.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Most tests show low or "no" regen settings are more battery efficient than one pedal. All modern EVs regen battery regardless of what setting you choose, the settings just change whether it does it via either the brake or accelerator liftoff. But coasting is always more efficient than slowing and speeding up again.

Use whichever setting you enjoy more.
Maybe that is so for coasting on flat ground. Coasting down a mountain, you will soon reach a speed where you cannot make the curves.

Then B mode is great for keeping the car under control and to grab some charge.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts